Votes: 120 44.8%
  • ASL Starter Kit #1

Votes: 185 69.0%

• Total voters

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
So paratrooper doesn't require BV? It has the boards and counters needed to play by itself? If that is the case, I will buy that one now and that will hold me off for awhile.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
JGilbert said:
It has the boards and counters needed to play by itself?
You need boards 1-4 (Paratrooper originally understated that you possessed Squad Leader)

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Robin said:
You need boards 1-4 (Paratrooper originally understated that you possessed Squad Leader)
Note that if you buy the 2nd edition Paratrooper from MMP's website, mounted boards 2 and 4 are already included. Boards 1 and 3 shouldn't be very difficult to come by on eBay for a good price and then you're away and laughing. Or you could get unmounted board 1 and 3 from MMP as well, but consistency of board type is probably going to be easier to play with.

btw, the scenarios in Paratrooper are great. We've been playing three of them in our Warfare HQ ASL tournament (Operation Overlord) and been having a great time with them.

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
JGilbert said:
So paratrooper doesn't require BV? It has the boards and counters needed to play by itself? If that is the case, I will buy that one now and that will hold me off for awhile.
Paratrooper v2 from MMP has boards 2, 4 and 24. It has 2 counter sheets with all the counters (including information counters) you need to play.

Enjoy

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks a lot, off I go to get paratrooper V2. I will need board 1 and 3 too I guess. This should give me some time until BV comes out.

By the way, would it be worth it to get Yanks also while I wait for BV if I already have Paratrooper??

Thanks to all for getting me going here.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
JGilbert said:
By the way, would it be worth it to get Yanks also while I wait for BV if I already have Paratrooper??
I think not. Yanks has only U.S. force counters, so unless you want to fight some hypothetical US vs US conflicts, or simulate a friendly fire incident, it'd be better to wait until you can dial up a few German squads! ;)

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JGilbert--

I forget, do you have VASL loaded? That'd be a way to get started, as well - assuming you've got the rulebook. . .

In Seattle, there's a great store call Gary's Games that hosts our club; they've always got used ASL stuff for sale - often boards for $3-5 and BV was there last weekend (smelled musty to me, however. . .) Check out stores in your area for used stuff!
Club members have donated a lot of components for use at the store, too. It just sits there for anyone's use.

Alan

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Reepicheep said:
I think not. Yanks has only U.S. force counters, so unless you want to fight some hypothetical US vs US conflicts, or simulate a friendly fire incident, it'd be better to wait until you can dial up a few German squads! ;)
Well, he could of course buy Hollow Legions and play Italian vs. U.S., or buy Code of Bushido and play Japanes vs. U.S.

I guess he would also be able to play quite a few of the Annual/Journal scenarios using the Yanks boards (and its U.S. counters), and the German counters found in Paratrooper.

And let's not forget all the fun he can have with clipping the Yanks counters while he waits for BV :cheeky:

BTW. I own (and voted) all, except ASLSK (but including ASLRBv1/v2 and WoA/FKaC).

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States

gorm

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
To complete my set I'm waiting for the ASLRBv2, AoO and Haaka Palle.

On the historical front I'd like to get KGPI and II but won't shed any tears if I don't. I'll also get Valor of the Guards and Red October whenever they become available.

From the 3rd party grouping I missed out on HOB's High Ground, which I'd like to get to play some scenarios from Tropic Thunder.

Other than that I'll continue to get the journals and play ASL until I'm old and grey :laugh:

Cheers,
Jeff

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
From the 3rd party grouping I missed out on HOB's High Ground, which I'd like to get to play some scenarios from Tropic Thunder.
That Wild Bill Wilder really gets some great scenario ideas; I just hope he gives Ben Stiller the credit that he's due.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
That Wild Bill Wilder really gets some great scenario ideas; I just hope he gives Ben Stiller the credit that he's due.
Michael,

Where on earth did you dig this thread up from? Autumn '04! I'd never even heard of ASL Forums at that time. Meanwhile here you all were posting away as ever.... :clown:

JG53_Jaguar

Reaction score
Country
llSlovakia
I'm curious to know if most ASLers out there own the whole collection or only part of it. if you don't own it all, do you intend on purchasing the whole set eventually?
I have a lot of ASL modules but I will not be buying every ASL module out there (official, or 3rd party) as I'm a player and not a collector. Since I don't have much interest into ASL Pacific, I will not be buying much in that area. Also I don't intend to buy other modules like : Croix de Guerre etc...

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have the lot (both rules book 1 and 2 (two copies of 1))

That's all but an official AP1 which I had in my mit at a games store selling off ASL and selling for about £5. Bought map boards and Annuals instead. I now buy as it comes out, historical, starter whatever. TPP, only a few bits but have got OatO (or whatever), not yet played but does look great.

That's my problem, each year I seem to get more scenarios to play than I played the year before!!!

Still I have managed 3 games in October so I'm happy

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
An old thread for sure!

I have all but Blood Reef Tarawa, the SKs, and v2 of The Rules.
Starting on select TPPs.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Josh, if you learn only one thing from the forum, it is that you should buy all the core modules that you can. Yanks is readily available and probably one of the few modules that will continue to be at a reasonable price. But buy it now, 2 if you can. The same goes for any other ASL product that you can afford. ASL mantra should be buy now,buy lots,buy more!