Where's my armored jeep?

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I could see that stopping small arms fire ie rifle/pistol fire.

But 7.92 rounds ie from a MG 34/42? Heavens no...ATR rounds? No way....

And lets not even touch say 20mm rounds like from a light FLAK weapon.....

Cool pictures having said all that...

Mark DV
Ada, MI

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

But 7.92 rounds ie from a MG 34/42? Heavens no...ATR rounds? No way....
I'm pretty sure that the 7.92 from an MG 34/42 was the same as fired from a mauser rifle. An AP round was available, so perhaps an MG 34/42 would have greater access to that round. In any case, I would not want to be sitting in that jeep when bullets started hitting it.

Actually, I wouldn't want to be in any vehicle when bullets start to hit it.

dude163

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well if it was choice between the badly armoured jeep or a NON armoured jeep, sign me up for the craptastic armoured one :)

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Eek, that might not even stop M2 Ball from the Garand. M2 AP would go through it. Probably was intended to protect from frag.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Anyone want to guess what the lowered MP amount would be, given that driver's vision port is like 4 inches wide and located 2 feet away from his eyes? I reckon you could crawl along at about 4 mph on a road, less cross country...

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks to me like some kind of field modifications. I can't see that working very well. Covering the air intake in the front would cause it to overheat very easily. Not to mention the added weight that little 4 popper would have to carry around. The value of that thin piece of steel would be more pychological than practical. The jeep worked because it was light and agile that would take that advantage away from it.

I've been by that museum. I might have to stop there sometime. Theres also a Corvette and the Dussenburg museum there.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Given that the MG42 rounds often penetrated the sides of the M£ halftrack, I recon we could argue for a 0 armour rating.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Not to mention the added weight that little 4 popper would have to carry around.
You ever seen the size of the typical re-enactors they cart around in those jeeps 60 years after the fact at FIG? :D They can take it.

DerBlitzer

Reaction score
Country
llTurkey
I think any driver over 5' 11" would have the top of his head taken off... :OHNO:

Of course they were shorter in those days...:)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Given that the MG42 rounds often penetrated the sides of the M£ halftrack, I recon we could argue for a 0 armour rating.
Given the nicely sloped armor on the hull front--just like a Panther--I was going to suggest 18 circled. Starred side and rear, of course.

JR

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You ever seen the size of the typical re-enactors they cart around in those jeeps 60 years after the fact at FIG? :D They can take it.
Hey I represent that remark.:(. I have an M38A1 torn apart in my garage which is a bit bigger than the WW2 Jeep. That armor might work in the Bulge on a road but across country in the summer It's not going far.

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are a few pictures of the "Battle Buggy" in The Saga Of The All Americans. The model pictured appears slightly different than the 82nd's.

I'll try to post some PICs.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Another picture:

Removed the radio it could be good enough for the role of the classical "light" Italian armored vehicle. A bit too expansive perhaps.

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And, for that mater, counters and scenarios....?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
:crosseye::hurt: Kind of reminds me of the armor we had on our vehicles the first time in Iraq! Really very little practical value (other than possibly protecting you from spent shappnel), but it gave you a warm and fuzzy...at least a little bit!:upset::D

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Note that most of the time, the driver is looking just over the top of the armor. The vision slit would require him to be ducking down somewhat and hunching over the wheel.

Which, not coincidentally, is what he'd be doing when the vision slit was called for anyway... :D

John

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Note that most of the time, the driver is looking just over the top of the armor. The vision slit would require him to be ducking down somewhat and hunching over the wheel.

Which, not coincidentally, is what he'd be doing when the vision slit was called for anyway... :D

John
Button'd up! Road rate NA

I'll bet that vision slit looks enormous if you're taking fire. :laugh:
Why they make the GD thing so big! :blab: