Where would I be able to find...

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Living in the UK I just wondered if anyone could tell me how I might be able to get copies
of American After Action Reports or War Diaries? I sure can't travel to the US to get them I was
hoping there might be somewhere online I could get a copy (and hopefully for free, costs me enough just
buying up copies of British War Diaries let alone anything else)

Hope you guys can help
thanks

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Many years ago I found a large number of US Army WWII AARs online; I can't find them now but found the following:
Three battles
Several publications

Not sure if these have much tactical coverage. If I get a moment later today I will try again to find the ones I mentioned above...

[EDIT] There's more here if you poke around:
More stuff

Last edited:

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
thanks, there sure is a lot there:)

really wondering where I can get Regimental stuff though to be honest

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Ike Skelton Combined Arms Research Library
http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cdm/

You can find some theater campaigns, corps, division histories and AAR for various battalions. You will need to DL the Order of Battle ETO Divisions and Fighting Divisions pdfs for reference of campaigns by specific divisions and Order of Battle with detachments and cross attachments for listed divisions during the individual divisions history.

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, last post on this topic: I also found a handful of pdfs on my hard drive with small-unit AARs from Italy--pretty good stuff. Let me know if you'd like me to zip those and send them over.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
OK, last post on this topic: I also found a handful of pdfs on my hard drive with small-unit AARs from Italy--pretty good stuff. Let me know if you'd like me to zip those and send them over.
thanks for taking the time to help. I'd be happy to take one of them:) just found out that, if I buy a cheap Kindle, I can get
American Iliad: The History of the 18th Infantry Regiment in World War II
Baumer, Robert W., Reardon, Mark J.
for only £5 to read on it. Considering the print copy goes for stupid money I'm really leaning towards buying a cheap kindle now

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

You can find some theater campaigns, corps, division histories and AAR for various battalions. You will need to DL the Order of Battle ETO Divisions and Fighting Divisions pdfs for reference of campaigns by specific divisions and Order of Battle with detachments and cross attachments for listed divisions during the individual divisions history.
thanks very much, appreciated :):)

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The files, even zipped, are too big to attach. PM me your e-mail and I'll send them your way.

I highly recommend getting a kindle

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The files, even zipped, are too big to attach. PM me your e-mail and I'll send them your way.

thanks, will do

yep, I just need to tweak my budget and the kindle is mine:)

Varn

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The researchers at CARL are very responsive, if you look through the library and let them know what you want. I've gotten full documents from them in the past. If you want anything regarding Operation DRAGOON let me know. I have a moderate collection of US reports still floating around somewhere I can Dropbox. It's mostly logistics stuff but I have some Divisional level AARs from actions there as well as some of the original maps and overlays.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Many thanks, that's useful to know?

I'm not working on any scenarios based upon Operation Dragoon but it is an interesting campaign.

Thanks again

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

SIr,

May I also request a copy of the same files you sent Alan? I am doing historical research for a scenario pack. There's bound to be something in what you have that I can use. Stand by for e-mail address through PM.

Thanks,

BD