Where to Start

Tankleader

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello All,
As a newbie player of ASL, (Newbie as I am still reading the rules) how much should one read the rules before playing?? By this I mean is it a good idea to get involved in some games?? I have just about finished the section A rules, but after awhile everything seems to just run together. Is there a magical point that one can start and learn from there??

Thanks
Andy

da priest

Reaction score

Priest

Reaction score
You should definitly play while you learn, for me this helps with learning the rule. Start with infantry only scenarios, once you feel comfortable with infantry rules progress to scenarios with OBA and ordanance, then to armor.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Yes I agree with what was said above. Once you have read through the basic rules you may still feel as though you don't fully understand what is going on. That's to be expected at this point. Try a very simple game with an opponent who is patient and can help you. I would pick a scenario that doesn't have any vehicles, OBA or special conditions such as night fighting, etc.

Once you have played several of these smaller, simple battles you can start adding more complex things like guns and vehicles. There are a lot of players who never get beyond that point due to the complexity of the ASL campaigns, desert fighting, amphib landing and so on. It will take you quite a while just to master the basic infantry and vehicle rules and there are more scenarios for those type of games than you could ever hope to play.

Use this forum to post your questions as you go along. The more experienced players here can help.

Tankleader

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks

Thanks Guys,
I enjoyed all of the advice, I have basically read most of the rules based on the article at the MMP site. My question now is has anyone ever done a basic game like this on VASL for instruction purposes?? If anyone doesn't mind teaching I am on leave starting tomorrow night so I will have more than enough time on my hands.

Thanks
Andy