Where to start with ASL now? Help

Akashi

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llNorway
I tried ASL with the starterkits some time ago and want to get back into it. I´ll just resort to playing both sides, there are not much hidden information anyway. So where do I begin? The rules are easy enough to get but Beyond Valor is OOP. Festung Budapest is OOP. Solitaire ASL is very very OOP. I can get a copy of the last Hurrah cheap, but that won´t do much. Any suggestion without busting the bank on eBay?

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Beyond Valor will be back in print shortly. My suggestion is to wait for a few months and then purchase Beyond Valor and the rules.

Bear in mind though, that there can be a lot of hidden information in full ASL due to the use of concealment counters, dummies and HIP units.

There are Norwegian players, especially in Oslo; it may be worthwhile communicating with the Norwegian community with a view to finding a local opponent.

Another option available to you is to try VASL - it's free and there are plenty of opponents out there who will be happy to give you a game.

Akashi

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Beyond Valor will be back in print shortly. My suggestion is to wait for a few months and then purchase Beyond Valor and the rules.

Bear in mind though, that there can be a lot of hidden information in full ASL due to the use of concealment counters, dummies and HIP units.

There are Norwegian players, especially in Oslo; it may be worthwhile communicating with the Norwegian community with a view to finding a local opponent.

Another option available to you is to try VASL - it's free and there are plenty of opponents out there who will be happy to give you a game.
Thanks for the info. Will there be updated/new stuff in BV reprint or will I be ok if I can get a copy of the last print run?

Thank you for the suggestion, but Oslo is 17000 km away (yes that is not a typo) so that is not an option. I am not fond of VASL either, I love the feel of those counters and maps :)

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Thanks for the info. Will there be updated/new stuff in BV reprint or will I be ok if I can get a copy of the last print run?
Absolutely - there have been several reprints of Beyond Valor 3rd Edition - any differences between printings are very minor.

Also, I agree 1,700 km is a long way to go!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I tried ASL with the starterkits some time ago and want to get back into it. I´ll just resort to playing both sides, there are not much hidden information anyway. So where do I begin? The rules are easy enough to get but Beyond Valor is OOP. Festung Budapest is OOP. Solitaire ASL is very very OOP. I can get a copy of the last Hurrah cheap, but that won´t do much. Any suggestion without busting the bank on eBay?
Beyond Valor is purported to be re-released some time during this year.

Beginn with VASL & Skype and try to find an experienced player to teach you.

- This is the quickest method to learn (Face-to-Face does the same trick, of course).
- An experienced player will usually have a lot of kit & scenarios. When playing together, he can provide the stuff.
- Using VASL, you do not need to wait on any counter or any board. It is all there.

General advice if you don't want to bust the bank:

Buy everything MMP (i.e. "official") as long as it is regulary available. Otherwise you will pay big time (oftentimes) or you are in for a long wait.
Depending on how sure you are to stay with the game, there's the Map Bundle available from MMP (maps 1-51 plus some SK maps IIRC) to get a hold of most maps that came in numerous now OOP core modules. This map pack does cost some bucks, though.

von Marwitz

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
My guess is that the counter errors (e.g., JgdPz VI) will at least be corrected. Not sure if there has surfaced any errors on the scenarios.

Paulinski

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm in the same boat but with a help of great player I was able to purchase few modules.

I'm going to try VASL. Can't wait to play first scenarip.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is possible, albeit unlikely, that a game store would not offer shipping on any of their products. Perhaps a VERY small game store operation would not ship orders to customers willing to buy their merchandise, but this is the 21st century.

try Second chance games in the UK they seem about correctly priced for a new in box copy and in stock at 92 L. Unless you are looking for a very locla store in which you can walk into to purchase it, I doubt you could get a copy shipped to you from MMP for less than that cost. A google search of only a couple of pages targeting Beyond Valor by MMP turns up only in the first two pages I looked at 6 copies new in box scattered all over the North and West European countries, at what appears to be reasonable pricing overall. I can guarantee that shipping between EU countries is going to be 500% less expensive than asking MMP or any other American based producer to ship something to Europe. the USPS raised those prices Jan of 2014 to exorbitant levels for all offshore shipping.

All that said, try the marketplace here. It can be a useful resource.

Finally, FB is in stock, and comes with every counter needed to play, a stack of scenarios to begin with, and it gets you playing Ost Front ASL before BV is reprinted again.

Last but not least, just as in the ASLRB run out of stock debacle that struck in mid 2012, it is just plain silly that the ASLRB and the Beyond Valor should run out of stock. Without those, we do not have a game to sell or to bring newbies into, MMP. Nice way to squish out the hobby, not to mention sales...:(

KRL, Jon H

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Go to boardgamegeek.com. There are currently 2 pages of sellers for Beyond Valor in many countries in all price ranges. Or wait a few months. There's always someone selling their collection of 6-10 core modules, some HASLs, Action Packs and some Journals. Or go to the Marketplace here. There's usually someone willing to part with a copy of BV 1.

Buy all the core modules first and the APs for the boards. Then pick and choose from whatever interests you.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Noble Night Games has a 95% unpunched copy of BV 1st Edition for about 100$ shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avalon-Hill-Squad-Leader-Beyond-Valor-Box-EX-/151539491173?pt=Games_US&hash=item2348752165
With the reprint of BV3 coming this year, I'd say it would be better to be patient and wait rather than investing in a BV1 copy at that price point. The reprint will probably be available at a similar price point from on-line retailers. (Yes, MMP's price for BV3 is $115 plus shipping, but typically there are on-line retailers carrying it at 10% or more off and with free shipping options available.)

Zenflash

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I agree, I would wait. I can't imagine MMP will want to wait too long getting this reprinted, especially as it would just be a matter of sending a PO to the print shop - OK maybe I am oversimplifying :)

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VASL is the way to go until you find someone (who doesn't already own everything) to play ftf. Once you find a ftf player, you can either use his stuff or buy your own as funds allow.

Akashi

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llNorway
With the reprint of BV3 coming this year, I'd say it would be better to be patient and wait rather than investing in a BV1 copy at that price point. The reprint will probably be available at a similar price point from on-line retailers. (Yes, MMP's price for BV3 is $115 plus shipping, but typically there are on-line retailers carrying it at 10% or more off and with free shipping options available.)
Yeah thanks, I´ll hold on to see what happens. I got several other games to play so that is fine. I´ll see if I can get my hands on SASL for those lonely evenings :) Good advice, thank you.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Yeah thanks, I´ll hold on to see what happens. I got several other games to play so that is fine. I´ll see if I can get my hands on SASL for those lonely evenings :) Good advice, thank you.
There is certainly no need to try and get a copy of the 1st Edition of Beyond Valor, when the 3rd Edition is available at a couple of web-shops.