Where does POA2 stand now? 9-19-04?

RedMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I first tried over build 113 but it was riddled with C++ errors, couldn't even play a scenario at all. So I uninstalled everything and cleaned up all traces from my computer. Then, I reinstalled from the CD and applied the build 121 patch. I'm using the default directory, no fancy stuff. The game runs now but I get the initial "C++ exception" when the start up screen loads. No way to send a file off to Scott since there's nothing to save. The build 121 patch is supposed to update all previous versions of POA2 so I don't think it's necessary to apply each and every patch since in sequence. At any rate that's what I had with build 113 and it didn't work right when I updated to build 121. Also, I have not applied any extra stuff yet such as maps, map symbols etc. Just stock HPS as issued gear.

RedMike OUT

Cougar_DK

Former POA2 Thread Keeper
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
RedMike that really sounds strange. If you look at my above post, I've done the same. I just don't use the default path, I use E:\Games\....

Mark

RedMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I tried it twice now with the same result. But the game is working OK as far as I can tell.

meade95

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glad to hear POA2 is getting better every day.

Now if I am going to reinstall ....what is the process?

Can I just do a clean install from CD then add the newest patch (which is build 121...I think) - From the POA2 update page? (like 8.7mb) -

I take it we no longer need to update all the datafiles and what-not - Does it call come as one patch now?

Thanks.

Cougar_DK

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
meade95 said:
Glad to hear POA2 is getting better every day.

Now if I am going to reinstall ....what is the process?

Can I just do a clean install from CD then add the newest patch (which is build 121...I think) - From the POA2 update page? (like 8.7mb) -

I take it we no longer need to update all the datafiles and what-not - Does it call come as one patch now?

Thanks.
Yes you can make a clean install and apply the patch. I.e. two steps :D

But you still have to download the other maps etc if you want'em.

Mark

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're right... not in this build. I would expect it to be different though as the patch nears completion.

cbelva

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In regards to the scenario editor,I have been using it and reporting problems to Scott. There is a lot more work to be done on it and I don't have the time right now to spend a lot of time on it. As you come across problems or suggestions on how to improve the editor, send them to Scott. Also post specific problems here so that the rest of us can take a look. It is possible to create your own scenarios at this time. I have done it, but it is an area tha needs some attention.

Cougar_DK

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
cbelva said:
Also post specific problems here so that the rest of us can take a look.
I have tried that, but since it seems no one cares I use my time posting to Scott.

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I care... heck, I really want to start cranking out some interesting scenarios. If you got it to work share please!

MKSheppard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
cbelva said:
In regards to the scenario editor,I have been using it and reporting problems to Scott.
Without the scenario generator/editor, we have a 60
dollar paperweight, as the new maps that were made are
totally worthless without it.

Also, I'd like to see a simplification of the game, with
regards to computing power; for example, I'd like to see
"Detail level 1: Runs fast and speedily", "Detail Level 2:
Runs a bit slower, but there is much more calculations and detail",
and so on for running each combat phase, to allow larger
scenarios on slower computers, etc. I've got an Athlon 2600+
and it's rather slow too.

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The scenario editor will work as it has in previous betas... beta means exactly that BETA patch.

Beta does not mean perfect.

You already have a way to reduce the calculations by setting the slider in combat fidelity vs speed settings tab in the preferences menu, detail is not meant to reduce the amount of calculations- only the amount of data displayed per turn so you are not blasted with every bullets flight characterstics and every units minute detail unless you want too be.

cbelva

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Regarding the combat fidelity and the speed setting tab, I noticed in a scenario today that it ran very slow. It took 45 minutes to run one turn. The problem seemed to be in the aircraft movement. I noticed a slower than expected run in another scenario, but no where near the 45 minutes in the first one. I shot Scott off a letter, and yes he has made changes to the LOS and aircraft movement routines. And it does slow things downs. Sound like this is something for the airforce. It does make the LOS for the AA tracking the aircrafts more accurate, however, it sacrifices speed. He told me that he is going to put a setting tab like the combat fidelity for the aircraft sighting which should make the program run as fast as it did before, however, it will sacrifice the accuracy of the AA in tracking aircraft.

He also stated that he is trying to get the next beta out ASAP. He said tomorrow, but I would not hold him to it.

Last edited:

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes indeed, I had the same probelm and he mentioned the new aircraft spotting routine... I wonder if maybe there can be such a thing as too much fidelity.
Gosh I hope that patch comes out soon. Each one has been an improvement more or less. Thanks for the update.

MKSheppard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
tws71669 said:
The scenario editor will work as it has in previous betas... beta means exactly that BETA patch.

Beta does not mean perfect.
Well excuse me, I'd like to have more than just the 12 scenarios
that shipped with the game....almost a year later.[/QUOTE]

Cougar_DK

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
MKSheppard said:
Well excuse me, I'd like to have more than just the 12 scenarios
that shipped with the game....almost a year later.
I'm sure you will have it when the next beta comes around. The scenario creation has been working on and off a couple of times. So when it arrives then please make some more scenarios and share'm with us all.

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
cbelva said:
2LT Tiberius, congratulations on your battlefield commissions :clap:
THANKS Cbelva!
It falls right on the completion of my AAR so that's kinda cool!

Don't suppose anyone's up for some PBEM hmmmm?

(Yesterday I could not spell occifer, now I is one!)