Where does POA2 stand now? 9-19-04?

meade95

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

I was part of the original group that was play testing POA2 for the first several months.

Became busy with work and haven't play tested POA2 for several months - Build 72 was the last time I play tested.

How does POA2 work now? Is it much better?

Brief overview would be appreciated - Are small squad tactics any better?

Thanks

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow... well that's a big question... if you browse around some of the threads here you can see many of the changes. Also, hps website has a list of changes and fixes to the current beta patch. Since build 72 we are now on 121 and stability is a thousand percent better. There are no show-stoppers in my opinion but some would disagree.

PBEM wroks perfectly, as Gary and I have been learning. The weapons database has grown to over double what it was... nukes work and chemical weps will soon I am told. There have been cosmetic changes too both to the layout and to how units are displayed. The bigggest change to them is "composite" units which alows the player to create distinct fire groups, but the full description is several pages long, so grab the patch and read the readme and cruise some of the threads here.
There are still problems but the game is quite, quite playable.
My two cents!

-Tiberius

meade95

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TWS - Thanks for the quick reply - I am going to get ahold of Scott and get all the latest patches, etc he gives out to the play-testers -

I plan to scroll around the boards to see what else is new with POA2 - but just thought a few quick over-views would be great....

Thanks again.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So here's the $60 question:

is anybody able to install the game off the CD, apply this patch without further hackery and play through one real scenario and real OOBs without getting C++ errors or otherwise bad behaviour?

Much as I hate to say, but I won't even try (again) unless somebody else knows this actually comes to a working game.

RedMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well. I first applied the build 121 patch over my existing build 113 and it crapped out on me for some unkown reason. Got game halting C++ exception errors. So I uninstalled, cleaned up, rebooted, and reinstalled from the CD applying the new build 121 patch last. Didn't work so I repeated the process again. Works now, but I get a C++ exception error message when I start the program. It goes away when I click on the go away button and the program seems to function just fine. Have been playing scenario 3 as a test bed and no troubles as of yet. Overall the game is MUCH improved over the original issue. In fact I repeat once again that each new build is better than the last. The game is playable now and gets better all the time.

Regards,
RedMike

cbelva

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
POA-2 is getting better with each build. I have not had an opportunity to spend a lot of time with the new build, but in the little time I have spend, I have not encountered one error. Scott seems to be addressing our concerns and trying to tighten the program up. He has basically quit adding new features and is trying to get get the current version completed before adding anything else.

From my quick review of the new version, I still find a problem with Bradley's firing their TOW's. Have anyone else see the same problem. Also, unit seem to stick on their initial target and not switch to a new one after they either destroy or lose contack with their the old one. As far as game play, these have been problems I have seen in the last several builds. I will keep pointing them out to Scott and they should get fixed before long.

RedMike, I had no problem sliding the new patch onto my old build (113). The e-mail I received from Scott said that it should update from version 2.0. I am not sure if that is where the program on the disk starts or not. You may want to check.

RedMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
According to the info at HPS the new patch is good for updating ALL previous versions of POA2. The patch itself says from version 2.0 so I don't know. The fact is though I first applied it over my existing build 113 and it didn't work right. It seems to be working OK now though since I reinstalled from the CD (second try) with the exception of the initial "C++ exception" error at start up.

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
RedMike said:
with the exception of the initial "C++ exception" error at start up.
Yeah I get that, doesnt seem to do anything though does it, I just ignore it, I think its more an aesthetic C++ error :D

I am also very pleased with this build, I really like the helicopters alot, they are at their full potetntial now for sure, using helos tactically is now fully possible and you know their gonna fire when their supposed to.

Wahaay!!! Artillery works very well now :D

Things are looking up gents ;)

Last edited:

cbelva

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You guys who are getting the C++ at startup, send an e-mail to Scott about it explaining exactly what you did during installing so that he is aware of it.

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
Cougar_DK said:
Hmmm strange, I don't have that C++ exception error. Is it as soon POA2 is loaded?
Yup, the moment the POA2 background appears in the program window, it pops up, but is quickly masked by the load last save box.

I dont care, im not complaining, it makes me laugh when it loads up :D

Like you said Cbelva i'll let Scott know what I did, I will try a re-install first. Could it be because im not putting the zip files into the POA2 folder before extracting them? I extracted them straight from the desktop. :D

Cougar_DK

Former POA2 Thread Keeper
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
switch_back said:
Could it be because im not putting the zip files into the POA2 folder before extracting them? I extracted them straight from the desktop. :D
Nope - as long as you point to your POA2 main directory for extracting then you should be fine - this isn't UC ;) .

I will try to backup my dir and make a clean install tonight and see if I get the error too.

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
Cougar_DK said:
this isn't UC ;) .
LOL!!! :laugh:

I thought as much, just had to be sure though.

I went through the process of:

-Install from CD

-Install all Data Table patches from HPS

-Add Brit Flag Update

-Add Updated Manual

-Install Build 72

-Install Build 111

-Install Build 121

et voila

Game works fine though :D just C++ at startup

Cougar_DK

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Ok but it seems that:
This update contains the complete set of files for the update, including data tables, graphics, and program files. It will update any previous version of POA-2.
So have you tried with a clean install and just the 121 build?

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
Riiiiight okay, that sounds good to me!!! i'll do a fresh install with nothing but 121 installed ;)

Thats where I messed up, I was so used to piling everything on top of each other, I dumped that one on as-well :D

Cougar_DK

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
ROFL - let me know if it works out. If not I will try the same tonight and make a file compare between my "old" install and a fresh one.

Cougar_DK

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
I've just tried to uninstall, delete the POA2 folder, re-installing and applying the newest patch and I have NO problems or C++ exception errors.

Mark