• I would love to play net games versus 1 opponent but dont know how to

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I love CPX multiplayer games

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • I have participated in CPX multiplayer games before

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • I would love to play CPX multiplayer but dont know how to do so

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I would like to play CPX multiplayer but am afraid I would get whacked by the veterans

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I would like to play CPX multiplayer but dont know how-to IRC

• I would like to play CPX multiplayer but they seem to be at inconvinient times always

• I would like to play CPX multiplayer but the pre-game planning keeps me off

• I would like to see more multiplayer CPXes

• I play anything that comes up

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I would like to participate in a MBX (mail driven CPX)

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters

Rattler

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
MULTIPLE ANSWERS WELCOME !

Please answer even if you have answered in other forums (posting same poll over various forums/lists):

I have been going over the threads over the last 3 yrs and think this one has not been polled.

Reason for the question is that I have no idea really how many people here are interested in CPXing and if so what might be their reasons for not trying, also to establish an overall momentary view of the TacOps crowd in this forum.

Thanks for participating,

Rattler

Last edited:

Rattler

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Please make the effort - your input counts

I see various people have read the thread but none took the pain to do the few clicks, please do so as we will all profit from having an idea what the TacOps crowd on this forum wants.

Thanks again,

Rattler

BenPower

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hey Rattler,

Probably the best idea to assess the situation! Just providing a few more details, even though I only got TacOps a month ago and so far have only tried about a quarter of the scenarios and done two CPXs:

> I play solitaire occasionally but prefer playing humans
No question that against humans the experience is much more enjoyable. However this is mainly due to the lack of AI to play as Blue or there only being two forces in the packaged scenarios (no civils/press or other force colours).Yes I do know the amount of effort that goes into it, but if as an extra, a player were able to design scenarios and give AI waypoints and SOP, it would be a start. This is probably possible but I have not looked at the map/scenario editor yet so apologies if this already exists.

> I would love to play PBEM but dont know how to do so
I know how to PBEM but am just scared of not finding a suitable opponent. Forums on battlefront or here on xtreme-gamer are created for this, but I would prefer a database with opponent location, skill and game preferences.

> I love CPX multiplayer games
No doubt about it. The adrenaline, the planning, even if it goes down the drain after the first :15 seconds, the interaction; basically the fun of them! Ironic though that it’s the human interaction and IRC chats that shape the game and TacOps is really just used for its combat engine (with click sound!) and not to its full extent.

> I have participated in CPX multiplayer games before
My first one was the 'nightmare CPX' but it did not put me off... too much! It is true it is hard to really see where the TacOps engine is flexible and where it is not, but I guess it comes with experience. For examples having to restart after loading firing mortars… would have never figured that bug out.
The 2nd CPX (last Saturday) was real fun as well, with no planning required. Despite my comments above, TacOps does shine where it matters: simulating tactical engagements. Hence there are no problems when we are just given an objective and a company.

> I would like to play CPX multiplayer but they seem to be at inconvenient times always
Unfortunately RL does get in the way and even though we are given a week's notice for some games, others happen the day after the post. Some TacOps resources have calendars but these seem to be down!

> I would like to see more multiplayer CPXes
Oh yes... even try out a WW2 one if someone is willing to host.

> I play anything that comes up
Although I really only have time on Saturdays.

> I would like to participate in a MBX (mail driven CPX)
Sounds good. I read the Brunei AAR which sounded amazing; was that an MBX?

General observation about CPX/MBX:
I do think though having read AARs and Rattler’s post (I think) on his Germany project, umpires really need to think ahead and for all the possibilities. If players have to wait and play a few, quick, non-related, CPXs so that the umpire and his team can catch the general feeling of how each team is organised and work (how long in advance they prepare (if they do at all!), delegation, team dynamics etc..), then so be it.

In conclusion: as I see it, such a small game community would benefit from a player database, as well as an up-to-date common CPX calendar so players can plan ahead. Hence OOBs and tac files can be prepared, military handbooks read, as well as network connections tested! The database and calendar should be linked to from here, Battlefront and TacOps.us.

Either that, or the AI/Solitaire mode should offer more possibilities on more maps and with more than one force colour (a 'goal' system maybe, where the enemy units are given an objective and the program would randomise the approach i.e. straight-line to objective, cautious zig-zag, smoke and shell first, send scouts etc...). Even if the Major does not agree, it could just be a community application which runs and connects ‘bots’ on two player/network games.

Finally just wanted to say what a pleasure it is playing with such a friendly and helpful community!

Cheers guys and hope I didn’t bore you,
Ben

PS: Just to apologise again if any of this is a load of hot air (especially concerning the player database, there may be one I have not found) or incorrect as I am still relatively new!

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ben,
There has been a surge of new players lately. I'm sure you could find one willing to go for a pbem game. I wouldn't discount the old hands entirely. I've been known to give some tips and tricks to the new players I've played, I'm sure others do the same.

Rattler

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Ben,
There has been a surge of new players lately. I'm sure you could find one willing to go for a pbem game. I wouldn't discount the old hands entirely. I've been known to give some tips and tricks to the new players I've played, I'm sure others do the same.
Ben, I fully concur, dont be shy.

While you might get whacked a few times, the more you get into PBEM the more you will understand about tactics and how to employ them, even later under time pressure in a CPX or in much detailed MBXes (yes, Brunei was an MBS, also "Global Thunder", memorial at Untitled Document the later went for 4 total years... and was the biggest fun I ever had in wargaming)

Personally I have found there are a few "general" developments every player goes through:

- First you get good at playing the AI (if you win Frolic 8 w/o OPFOR crossing the central valley every time you have learned all there is to learn from playing the AI)

- Then you go playing humans, usually PBEM, and you start making the best out of the game engine (there are a few tricks that - w/o technically cheating - give you an advantage over less experienced players)

- Next you find it boring to win because of game engine exploits and come back to what TacOps was made for: Platoon marker strength driven fun and slug it out like that focussing on tactics and everything you can read up...

- Next stage still is CPXing where time pressure and being organized play key roles in battle success

- Last, and probably the highest level is MBXing where you just give orders in written form and react to all the incoming stuff like a real armchair general/admiral going through your mail every day.

A bit like what they say about chess: You start out playing your friends with an urge to win and to see who is better (chess as a sport), next stage is the analytical one where you start learning and try to know all the openings, closings, midgames, tricks, etc. (chess as science) and last you understand the beauty of single games that have been a collaborative work *with* your opponent playing against him (chess as art)

Rattler

JeffERobertson

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I enjoyed the 8 player free for all attack on the oil refinery last sunday (I was gray or "The other Jeff"). This was nice in that I could join when it when I had the free time. With a wife and kid I find it hard to commit that I will be there at time x for 8 hours several weeks in the future, although it I think it would be fun to participate in the more "thought out" CPX's. The invasion of South Africa that ran a few weeks ago sounded like fun.

JeffERobertson

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One other thing. The nice thing about the "open" game last sunday is it gave me a chance to just "try connection and doing the IRC". I think that sort of game is good for new people.

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess I'm a bit different as I like to use TacOps as both a game and a learning tool. I'd puttered around with it for a couple of years before I read Mike Robel's "Team Trackless" experiments on StrategyPage realized how powerful TacOps is a learning aid. I also like to study different organizational structures and the combat doctrine they are based on. So I still use the AI quite a bit as an "honest broker" to test various ideas against an enemy that never gets bored by the same maps and scenarios.

I've been averaging 2 - 4 PBEMs a year and 1 - 2 CPXs plus I try to drop in as an observer when I can. And winter does seem to be the 'prime' CPX season in our community. But 'real life' does remain the number one reason I don't get to do more CPXs.

The only head-to-head netgames I tried where during the 2003 tournament. They went well enough but since then I've changed equipment several times and have been too lazy to figure out where my "firewall DMZ" is configured.

A word to any lurkers who have not yet taken the plunge - you get cocky after learning to pound the AI without breaking a sweat and it can be a bit of a shock the first time you play against a decent human. Everybody goes through it, it's just a matter of getting your feet wet. Nothing will teach you good tactics faster than getting clobbered and studying the replays of how it was done.

HAVE FUN [that's an order!]

Rattler

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I see one Gentleman having opted for "I would love to play PBEM but dont know how to do so".

If you contact me privately or via the forum I am sure willing to help out.

Rattler_at_eventfoto_dot_com

Rattler

Rattler

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hey Rattler,

- snip-

> I would love to play PBEM but dont know how to do so
I know how to PBEM but am just scared of not finding a suitable opponent. Forums on battlefront or here on xtreme-gamer are created for this, but I would prefer a database with opponent location, skill and game preferences.

- snip-

> I would like to participate in a MBX (mail driven CPX)
Sounds good. I read the Brunei AAR which sounded amazing; was that an MBX?
Sorry for answering that late, simply had missed that post... :mad:

- If you want to try PBM contact me privately, most willing to help out (rattler_at_eventfoto_dot_com)

- Yes, Brunei was an MBX, also GlobalThunder. I will run a simple one soon in the future (aitng for henk to drop by to get to the details worked out), I will come back to you then.

Kind regards,

Rattler