Where did you buy your Red Barricades at?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Remember the days when there was no internet or internet stores to buy ASL stuff? I do, heck, I'll never forget after work back in 1990 driving to Evanston (just north of Chicago) and going to a place called Now Playing which sold both wargames and RPG's. There I spotted stacks of RB modules just removed from their AH shipping boxes and scooped up a copy for myself. And so began my first foray into CG's and have not looked back since.

Scott

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The Gameskeeper in Oxford. They ordered a whole stack of ASL modules for me which in the year '95 or so. I was just getting back into the game and they mentioned there was no guarantee these modules would remain in print. They got that right for sure!

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I believe I bought mine at L'Oeuf Cube, a gaming store in Paris next to the University I was studying at, in the early '90s ('91 or '92, most likely).

I was head of the general gaming club in my school in '90-'91, and we had the first SL box. Played a game or two, bought the ASLRB and Beyond Valor for myself pretty quickly, but I believe it was a year or two before I got myself the Red Barricades box - reading and half-digesting the rulebook took me some time.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
IIRC, I paid $110 for mine from NKG about 4 years ago. From '89 through the 90's and 00's, I never had an interest in the HASLs. My interest in them sparked in about '13, and I now know to buy everything when it first comes out. Still not interested in the HASL CGs, but I really enjoy the HASL scenarios.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I have had only 4 regular sources for ASL.
Tally-Ho Games in N. London, now long gone.
Leisure Games, also in N London.
Virgin Megastore, Dublin that through a physical move and a change of ownership (Game) eventually dropped boardgames.
Second Chance Games, Liverpool, my current ASL pusher.

I can't be absolutely sure but I strongly think it was Leisure Games. While I never had the slightest problem with LG, SCG ultimately provided a better range of ASL stuff, both stock and TPPs.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
It was part of the kit that I bought in 1991.
There was the rulebook of course, BV, Paratrooper, Yanks, Partisan, Streets of Fire, and RB for either $250 or $300.
Damn good deal, even back then.
The counters were stored in a nuts and bolts cabinet with the little drawers.

I'd venture that RB was the best possible addition to the system ever, judging by the amount of play time it received (and still does!).
Easily the best value, anyway.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Conversely, I paid close to $300 a few years ago for ABtF, which I always meant to buy but never got the money together, until long after it was out of print.

Lesson learned!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I first 'saw' ASL back in the late 80s. Thinking about it, it must have been pretty new then... In the time, my English was yet not better than what you learn after a couple of years in school. It looked darn cool but I yet did not dare to tackle it because when leafing through it, the text of the rules looked quite daunting.

The ASLRB, most Core Modules and the first HASLs including I bought in a Comic/Game-Store in the early 90s that is now long out of business. Ah, those were the days...

von Marwitz

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Depends on which copy for me but he first One was I think from Leisure Games in London, and copies bought in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen,Dundee and a few other places, the last one I bought was in BV2 at ASLOK 30 from another gamer , that got passed on as a gift to another Scottish player.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
I also recently purchased the reissue RB map from MMP since my original sports a wax stain caused by the spillage from a candle
holder used while playing once when the power was out, and the back of the map has red marker which my then very young daughter
thought would improve the blank white paper.

It's since been laminated with these imperfections under the plastic sheeting, but I figured a new one would be nice to have.
Still have yet to laminate that one.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A store in North Austin on Parmer Lane... It's now closed.

But also got both KGP modules there as well; all three for about $100 US in summer of 1999.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Red Barricades from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, JR, was to spend untold hours sifting through obscure passages of incomprehensible prose, trying to make sense of Perimeter rules. Fortunately she took credit cards.

JR

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Red Barricades from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, JR, was to spend untold hours sifting through obscure passages of incomprehensible prose, trying to make sense of Perimeter rules. Fortunately she took credit cards.

JR
I want some of what jrv has been drinking....

FrankJ

Cap'n Crud
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think when I bought my copy, I filled out that AH mail order and sent a check. It sounds so archaic now, haha. My buddy and I played the first scenario, and it was thrilling!!

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I saw mine in a game store in Allentown, PA. When i had the money i bought it and slipped it onto my game shelf. Wife saw it weeks later and said "what is that?" Man, I have had that for a long time... :)