Where can I get TOAW:ACOW

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've looked at all the local stores and couldn't find it. I've checked ebay but always get outbid. I've found it on Take 2 Interactive's store page but is there anywhere I can get it a bit cheaper?

Tue

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
BarcelonaBlom said:
I've looked at all the local stores and couldn't find it. I've checked ebay but always get outbid. I've found it on Take 2 Interactive's store page but is there anywhere I can get it a bit cheaper?
I don't think so. At least in Denmark ACOW - or any other version of TOAW for that matter - is almost impossible to find so I had to buy it from Take 2. On the bright side shipping is cheaper in the US. :)

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BarcelonaBlom said:
I think you need to bid better on ebay!! I haven't seen TOAW anything in any store in quite a long time. Also check THE WARGAMER site for anyone selling it there.

BigMik1

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Well, obviously you can always have it at the ground-breaking price of -1$ at Chips and Bits. You can even bundle it with East Front and Europe in Flames for -3$. I do not think these prices include shipping charges though :smoke:

cumminspuller

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got TOAW: Century of Warfare a coule of months ago and just had time last night to go through the tutorial posted on here. Anyway I just went to chips and bits and saw they had East Front II, Europ in Flames, and Rising Sun Gold......Are all these additions to TAOW? Am I going to want these in the future?

Thanks,

Jason

tinjaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Those are a different game engine than TOAW. I own that series as well and enjoy it too.

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
nemo said:
Well, obviously you can always have it at the ground-breaking price of -1$ at Chips and Bits. You can even bundle it with East Front and Europe in Flames for -3$. I do not think these prices include shipping charges though :smoke:
-1$ Hey I really like such prices :D

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Take 2's store is the only place to get it. There is the *odd* copy on E-bay once in a blue moon, but recently a scenario designer gave it up, and sold his game on there, and actually got *more* for it than they charge at Take 2...

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Why, though, when you can still get it here for $10 less?

I guess it is good to know that there are a couple different places where it can be found...

Ozar

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curses. $40 for a jewel case? Highway robbery, that's what this is!

Is it really worth it?

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Ozar said:
Curses. $40 for a jewel case? Highway robbery, that's what this is!

Is it really worth it?
Well, that's the place to ask!

Definitely yes. Though far from being perfect (there is a wishlist thread somewhere down in this forum and in the scenario design sub-forum to get an idea of what's still lacking in terms of game functions), it is still the best game covering what its title says : operational level of warfare, at the juncture between tactics and strategy.

To get a feel of the game before opening your wallet ;), you can grab the demo at the WHQ TOAW section and see for yourself.

Ozar

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah, thank you for your courtesy.

Is this demo different from the original Volume 1 demo that had the Korea 50-51 (Or was that 51-52?) conflict, or is it something else?

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
It's the same demo, adapted to the upgraded version of the game (Century of Warfare). As to scenario ending (been reading your other thread on the forum), it is all up to the scenario designer within certain limits. The designer sets a certain number of turns for the scenario and the game is supposed to run to the last one, with a slight variability (few turns less or more, say three for a 30 turn scenario for instance).
Apart from that, the designer can set sudden end conditions (capture of an important point on the map, destruction of a particular unit and so on). Whenever met, these conditions trigger the end of the scenario, often associated with victory for one side whatever the situation on the ground. Designers usually write all this down in the scenario briefing.

As far as Korea 50-51 is concerned (the scenario bundled with the CD, haven't played the demo since TOAW 1), there is an event that can trigger an early end of the scenario, around turn 27, give or take four turns, with a probability of 100% :hmmm:.

As far as I know, this kind of design feature is an exception (but maybe some game guru will shed more light on this).

Hope it helps.

Ozar

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I ordered my copy today. Man, Take 2 really hits you with the shipping charges. The cheapest one is seven bucks! (About 6 Euro's, for those of you in Europeland.) :)

This will go down in [my personal] history as the most expensive old game I've ever bought.

No doubt my purchase of this will precipitate a re-release gold edition bargain-bin version. :p

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Ozar said:
I ordered my copy today. Man, Take 2 really hits you with the shipping charges. The cheapest one is seven bucks! (About 6 Euro's, for those of you in Europeland.) :)

This will go down in [my personal] history as the most expensive old game I've ever bought.

No doubt my purchase of this will precipitate a re-release gold edition bargain-bin version. :p
Welcome into the fog Ozar, never mind the bucks, very soon you'll really consider it a bargain! :cheeky:

Panzer-War

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
nemo said:
As far as Korea 50-51 is concerned (the scenario bundled with the CD, haven't played the demo since TOAW 1), there is an event that can trigger an early end of the scenario, around turn 27, give or take four turns, with a probability of 100% :hmmm:.

As far as I know, this kind of design feature is an exception (but maybe some game guru will shed more light on this).
I am fairly certain it is turn 28. I understand it’s a disappointment when it dose end early. But I believe Norm put the early end in there so that the UN player would not dig in before takeing the cities that trigger possible intervention of the Chinese as the Chinese force's primarily infantry have a hard time with the air and armor of the UN forces even with a large shock bonus. Also I doubt The UN would have put up with 5 months plus or more of fighting to conquer North Korea. I took the early end out of my Korean War scenario but in a play test with a friend of mine I took nearly 8 turns to repair the rail lines and wait for supply to catch up and prepared defenses. When China came in he could only manage to push my units around 2-3 hexes back in part because of the preparations I took to prepare for the Chinese.