where are the acq counters in vasl edit

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi,

I have been looking for the acquisition counters in the EDIT part of VASL and cannot find.

I want to modify the transparency to allow for terrain ( buildings) the show through, can
anyone tell me where they are and if this is feasible.

Thanks,

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
There are acquisition counters under VASL Counters, [Tabbed Panel], Axis/Allied OB, {nationality}, "?". I don't think they are implemented as simple images.

JR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi,
German SAN.JPG
Thanks I found the area.

What I want works exactly with the sniper counters but not at all with the acq. It is just about perfect as the terrain shows through.

This is what the edit looks like for the above , which I will compare with the acq. I would really like the main person(s) who work with VASL
to look into it.

German SAN.JPG VASL 1 invisible.JPG

acq invisable 1.JPG

acq 2.JPG

As you cam see the format is the same but the acq counters do not change at all.

If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know :)

Attachments

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
What version of VASL are you running, BTW? IIRC the HIPable trait was added to all counters in 6.3.x

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Piece with ID 2353 already has an invisible trait defined in 6.3.3 and it already works to make a counter HIP. You want to make the counter transparent but visible to both players, though, right?

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 8.43.46 AM.png

You might find it easier to just define a new counter so you don't incur all the VASL trait hierarchy and VASL-specific code if you want a translucent counter. (I generally use a N-hex Radius from Center overlay when I want to mark a hex as something special.)

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
That is beautiful !! Mwaahhh

How do i do that. I have never used the edit in such a fashion.

Or would it be possible to make a vasl file that has that in it - namely HIP able acq counters - that I could download\ ??

I m quite happy to give it a go but have no idea how to do this. Like none.

Hope to hear from you...

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
You do not need to edit anything. HIP-able Acq counters are in the base 6.3.3 module. If you don't see them, you might want to empty out your extensions folder. See below.
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 8.59.58 AM.png

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
hip asl.JPG

You can see that the default HIP is OPAQUE and very non- useful.

Please look at the SAN counter at the top and you can see the difference.

That is what I am looking for in the ACQ counters, which do not want to follow similar transparency rules.

Thanks

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
It's the way some VASL counters are made that the layers poke through. In your example the 5/8" counter shows this behavior but the 1/2" counter does not. You can also see this in various unit counters. Would be a good thing to try to fix for VASL 6.5

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yes I hope so since stacking and complicated terrain really add headaches to the game.
By having acq transparent one could basically half the work, it is basically having extra boxes to open when
the fewer the better (ohh what's under here).

A previous problem has it sees not been resolved. This is also similar but in an opposite sense, the
blue/green dots that run as perimeter markers DO NOT stay after the initial setting up. I thought
I had that fixed but bless the little dot.....

Lastly the menu ( DM/Pin? First Fire etc) it would be very helpful if this could have a way to "adjust"
the list. That would be by moving "events" up or down in the edit or similar. I still think a dedicated
right menu FINAL fire counter would be good ... pretty please...

Some ideas ?

Roll on 6.5 :)

I'd be interested to hear of other conceptual ideas players have ...

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
The context menu is un-orderable in VASSAL 6.2.x so you'll have to log that over at vassalengine.org

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two words. Control keys. Learn them.