When you play, how often do you use the IIFT?

How many of your games use the IIFT?

• None - Almost never use it.

Votes: 105 41.2%
  • 0-10%

Votes: 31 12.2%
  • 11-20%

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • 21-30%

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • 31-40%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 41-50%

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • 51-60%

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 61-70%

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • 71-80%

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • 81-90%

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • 91-100%

Votes: 63 24.7%

• Total voters

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So did those pussies up at Blackclouds house make you use the IIFT.
Thats the only place I use it.
Oh, you little weasel; you're too afraid to even come up here and play anymore. You only changed because some beltway con-man filled your head full of analytical BS and slipped you a date-rape drug. :confused:

I almost only use the IFT at ASLOK and even then its 50-50.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Oh, you little weasel; you're too afraid to even come up here and play anymore. You only changed because some beltway con-man filled your head full of analytical BS and slipped you a date-rape drug. :confused:
I didn't need the date rape drug. The IFT's brilliance was enough :) -- jim

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I almost only use the IFT at ASLOK and even then its 50-50.
I hoping to come up March 12th. It will be springbreak and da wife won't let me go to Cancun:cry:

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will use it if my opponent wants to, its not worth it to me to even care what IFT I use:D

how about it?

Gary Mei

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Roughly half the time locally. At tournaments, I use IFT about 95% of the time.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have used it twice at tourneys...regretted it both times. Never again, IFT only now.

McFinn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Used to use the IIFT 100% of the time when I lived in the Detroit area.

Moved out to New Mexico 7 years ago and our club has a small group of folks (about a third) that prefer the IFT, so now I take turns with the IFT then IIFT as we switch off tables so everyone gets a chance to play their preferred table.

Not a big deal really.

Taking turns, sharing, having fun, learned it all in kindergarden really.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ESG uses only the IFT in all our designs and in-house playtests. However some of our outside playtesters use the IIFT. Over the years I haven't noticed any difference in playtest balance between the two.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
I used the IIFT as noob but can honestly say that I haven't used it for about 10 years.

iamspamus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, that, and the fact that hair will grow in the palm of your dice-throwing hand....hard to say which would be worse.
That's why you need the dice cup or dice tower from the other thread. You can just spit the dice into them or grasp the dice with the man-paw and deposit them into said mechanism...

dreenstra

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So did those pussies up at Blackclouds house make you use the IIFT.:p:laugh:
Thats the only place I use it.:kotz:
If they were using it, they had the common courtesy to keep it on their side of the table and not tell me what they were playing with! Errr, that didn't sound right...

Dave

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I, and my four regular Montreal opponents, always use IIFT. Nowadays, I only see the IFT occasionally at some tournaments.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: When you play, how often do you use the inferior infantry fire table?

I would rather run my fingertips through a tablesaw than debase myself by using the iift.

richfam

Reaction score
One thing that is being overlooked in this thread is that the IIFT that comes with the 2nd edition ASL rulebook is, in terms of graphic design, the worst-designed table in the game. It is essentially unusable in its current form.

Specifically, it has NO shading of alternate horizontal rows, which makes reading a result in the middle of the table an exercise in total frustration.

So if someone says "I tried the IIFT in the 2nd ed rulebook, hated it, and now I will only play with the IFT" they'll get no argument from me. If my first exposure to the IIFT had been through the 2nd ed rules, I probably wouldn't be using the IIFT either.

If anyone really wants to try out the IIFT, they should get the version that's available on Ole Boe's web site. It's much more compact and as easy to use as such a big table can be. And for those who prefer the IFT, Ole has a neat version of that as well.

http://home.no.net/oboe/

To answer this thread's question, I've used the IIFT ever since it was first published in the 1989 ASL Annual. It is big and unwieldy... but the game just plays so smoothly when you don't have to constantly shuffle units & SWs around to try to match your FP totals to the IFT columns.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To answer this thread's question, I've used the IIFT ever since it was first published in the 1989 ASL Annual. It is big and unwieldy... but the game just plays so smoothly when you don't have to constantly shuffle units & SWs around to try to match your FP totals to the IFT columns.
But, you don't have to do that...

Another thing that is overlooked in the flame wars is that there are lots of "game" reasons to hold your fire on the LMG - regardless of what fire table you are using.

IMO, this argument that the games plays faster or smoother or is more filling or tastes great when you don't leave out the LMG is a bogus argument.

However, what I was curious about was just how many of the games played actually USED the IIFT. It appears that slightly more than 25% of the games played use the IIFT. (Looking at the number of people who always or "almost always" use it.)

This is about what one could expect if about 50% of the players preferred the IIFT. (As was shown in another poll). (It would only be about 25% because that's how often two randomly selected players would both prefer the IIFT.)

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When you play, how often do you use the IIFT?

SAM,

I thought you were a "straight up kinda guy".....:)

Now,

I see you have become one of "THEM"......:angry: :(

Polls are for politicians and ....... :crosseye:

Hey,

Saw an article in USA Today about Microsoft sending 'extra' serverance pay. Were you one of the "lucky ones"?

PS. I REFUSE to answer this poll on grounds I may violate my Miranda rights...... :p

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ESG uses only the IFT in all our designs and in-house playtests. However some of our outside playtesters use the IIFT. Over the years I haven't noticed any difference in playtest balance between the two.
Glenn,

As a scenario designer, thanks for your honest opinions.

As a member of the "OFF Squad" I will ALLOW my "Minister of Recruitment and Morale" the ability to choose which chart he wishes to play with.

This option is NOT open to ALL OFF Squad members, just the charter members from Jan/Feb 2006. All NEW recruits must ask the Minister of Recruitment and Morale WHAT chart is is ALLOWED to use as a mamber of the most "Elite of Elite" ASL players Association.:clown:

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It plays a lot faster when you don't even have to crack open the table to determine the result. Fewer columns means you only have to remember a few more common results.

8 on the 8 is a normal and work your way from there. Look up the low FP shots if you rolled under a 7, or any shot that rolls 2 or 3 to make sure you have the right degree of K/# vs KIA... or any high FP shot that's a rare occurrence.