When you play, how often do you use the IIFT?

How many of your games use the IIFT?

• None - Almost never use it.

Votes: 105 41.2%
  • 0-10%

Votes: 31 12.2%
  • 11-20%

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • 21-30%

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • 31-40%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 41-50%

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • 51-60%

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 61-70%

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • 71-80%

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • 81-90%

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • 91-100%

Votes: 63 24.7%

• Total voters

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, when I compare standard IFT columns, to other columns on the IIFT, I am also comparing the IIFT to the IFT.
You are comparing numbers in a vacuum...but you aren't actually comparing the FT's.

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are comparing numbers in a vacuum...but you aren't actually comparing the FT's.
No I'm not in a vacuum, and I am comparing the two tables. As long as one or more columns that are compared exist on both tables, then it's a comparison of the tables.

Or did you miss the part of the IIFT designer having to stick to the existing results for the IFT columns?

Gary Mei

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, it is the standard defintion...so far all I have seen are some individual accounts of "X" happened when I was playing such an such scenario. That falls well within the definition of "ancedotal" and/or "hearsay".
I calculated PRECISE math probabilities of increases in booby traps from 50* mortars a number of times. I guess you believe all math and probability to be "ancedotal" and/or "hearsay". :laugh:

What we haven't seen is any documentation of scenario "X" played over 1000 times with variables A-thru-Z controlled. Resulting in the following range of results...etc.

Of course first one must establish a baseline balance for scenario "X" to start with...that in itself would take some documenting all on it's own.

So, as it stands...we have two claims...
1) ift'ers: The IIFT effects scenario balance.
2) IIFT'er: There is no proof that the IIFT effects scenario balance.

If you need to establish a precise baseline "X", then by your "logic", there's no proof that adding a 10-3 or a King Tiger to a side effects "scenario balance". :laugh:

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I calculated PRECISE math probabilities of increases in booby traps from 50* mortars a number of times. I guess you believe all math and probability to be "ancedotal" and/or "hearsay". :laugh:
Relative to the effect on the outcome of an actual scenario...yes, it is.

If you need to establish a precise baseline "X", then by your "logic", there's no proof that adding a 10-3 or a King Tiger to a side effects "scenario balance". :laugh:
Right...now you are getting it.

One can hypothesize that it will effect balance but one certainly has no "proof" until the necessary exercise is actually conducted. What this means in the end, is that the ift'er claim that their preference is based on "fact" is unfounded and unsupported. The preference for the ift is just as much a matter of emotion (feel) as the preference for the IIFT would be.

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

One can hypothesize that it will effect balance but one certainly has no "proof" until the necessary exercise is actually conducted. What this means in the end, is that the ift'er claim that their preference is based on "fact" is unfounded and unsupported. The preference for the ift is just as much a matter of emotion (feel) as the preference for the IIFT would be.
If one single dr (SAN) can change the course of a game, and frequently does, why won't the multiple increased chances of a 2MC (over a 1MC) make an effect? You say we shouldn't ignore all these other game changer variables, but then relegate this game changing decision to the "does not apply" pile.

The necessary proof is in the math. The statistical methods we used are sound. There is an impact on a large number of scenarios where the IIFT is selected.

Your arguments are circular at best, relying on the false assertion that there is no alteration of the outcome since you can't play with both tables at once. Even if someone did 1000 runs of a scenario with IFT and 1000 runs with IIFT, you would say that the other factors weren't the same in each game, so the analysis is faulty...

Use of the IIFT with certain OB will give one side an undeserved advantage.

Gary Mei

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You believe that one side losing more troops in a scenario doesn't affect balance. Gotcha. I must say that this is a really bizarre belief, but some people do have irrational beliefs.

I guess you feel that if a football team lost its QB and several starting offensive linemen, it doesn't affect their odds of winning a game since we can't quantify their chances of winning beforehand. And if a baseball team loses 3 starters, it doesn't affect their chances of winning.

I'm glad you're not running any sports teams...

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
By adding the votes for those who voted for playing IIFT to some degree.
Sorry, that's your opinion. You have proven anything.

The Tate Postulate I.

Relative to the claim that the IIFT effects scenario balance...there are neither forest nor trees...just wind.
Again, I'll use the Tate Postulate II. Keep denying everything and ignore basic math.

Which is 100% factually correct.
Tate Postulate III. You haven't proven anything, because you're a proven IIFTer, so you're skewing the results.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, that's your opinion. You have proven anything.

The Tate Postulate I.

Again, I'll use the Tate Postulate II. Keep denying everything and ignore basic math.

Tate Postulate III. You haven't proven anything, because you're a proven IIFTer, so you're skewing the results.
I am always amazed why you ift'ers are so d@mned desperate. :laugh:

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In other words...

Quit using my math skills against me!
No, the other words for the ift crowd seems to be....

:cry:...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

I mean, seriously...you never, ever have to use the IIFT in any match.

So, why exactly do you (RobZagnut) care if anyone else uses it? Regardless of the claims of either side...why do YOU even care who uses the IIFT or not?

From my perspective, all these threads started by ift'ers and all the derogatory claims from ift'ers amount to little more than one on going, composite ad hominem attack against anyone using the IIFT.

I suppose the idea that you ift'ers could just leave us alone with our FT is out of the question.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignoratio_elenchi

At the bottom of this page is a list of logical fallacies. Tate uses quite a few of them, and still hasn't refuted the math.
Nothing to refute...your using math that doesn't actually compare the IIFT to the ift...at least not a comparison within the sphere of ASL play.

But, you go ahead and keep wasting your time all ya want with that if it gets you off. :nuts:

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, the other words for the ift crowd seems to be....
Much better than:

* Denial.
* Refusual to answer a simple question.

Let me try again. Do you use fire a LMG on the IIFT when the column shift gives you no advantage?

* Confusion over simple math.
* Accusations of lying.
* Baiting.
* Over-the-top childness.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let me try again. Do you use fire a LMG on the IIFT when the column shift gives you no advantage?
Why do you care? What possible difference can it make to you? Why are you so desperate to have an answer? Will you start using the IIFT depending on my answer?

Tell you what, you explain why denegrating the IIFT and it's users is so important to you and I will answer your question.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why do you care? What possible difference can it make to you? Why are you so desperate to have an answer? Will you start using the IIFT depending on my answer?
Denial and refusal to answer a simple question.

I ask because one of your main arguments why the IIFT is better is because you have stated numerous times that you don't have to count FP factors and always fire MGs to not waste any FP. That it speeds up the game, because you don't have to look at columns to decide which column to fire on.

By answering the question, you invalidate one of your main arguments.

Of course, you know this, which is why you refuse to answer the question. And which is why you'll come up with some other way to dodge giving the answer. Something along the lines of...

"Why do you care? What possible difference can it make to you? Why are you so desperate to have an answer? Will you start using the IIFT depending on my answer?"

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Denial and refusal to answer a simple question.

I ask because one of your main arguments why the IIFT is better is because you have stated numerous times that you don't have to count FP factors and always fire MGs to not waste any FP. That it speeds up the game, because you don't have to look at columns to decide which column to fire on.

By answering the question, you invalidate one of your main arguments.

Of course, you know this, which is why you refuse to answer the question. And which is why you'll come up with some other way to dodge giving the answer. Something along the lines of...

"Why do you care? What possible difference can it make to you? Why are you so desperate to have an answer? Will you start using the IIFT depending on my answer?"
OK, here is my answer...depends...which is vastly different than the ift answer which is "never".

Now, will you answer my question...why do you care? Why do you need to tear down the IIFT and those who use it? Is it just a matter of feeling better about your choice of the ift? Or, is it something else?

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
95% of the time I use the IFT. There are some groups, hence tourneys, where the IIFT is the norm and so I play it then.

I do believe that there is a significant difference between the two tables when odd factor units are involved (paratroopers, Italians, partisans, 548s and minors). The IIFT also generates more snipers, especially in high SAN scenarios.

Rich

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, here is my answer...depends...which is vastly different than the ift answer which is "never".
The dodging continues. I rest my case.

Now, will you answer my question...why do you care? Why do you need to tear down the IIFT and those who use it? Is it just a matter of feeling better about your choice of the ift? Or, is it something else?
Why do you care that I care? (This dodging is kinda fun!!!!)

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nothing to refute...your using math that doesn't actually compare the IIFT to the ift...at least not a comparison within the sphere of ASL play.

But, you go ahead and keep wasting your time all ya want with that if it gets you off. :nuts:
What do you mean nothing to refute?

And I don't have to compare it to the IFT for any reason. The IIFT is broken at it's core because it stuck with 2d6 for resolution.

The incremental table that isn't incremental in it's effectiveness from one column to another, isn't actually broken in Tatelandia?

When small DRM mean some columns are essentially improved to the point that they are just as good as the next column up, you don't consider that broken?

Take one measurement, more chances to have your enemy roll your SAN. The side firing frequently on the 7 chart will increase their chances measurably over a game played on the IFT (where those shots would be 6FP). The increased number of chances for your opponent to roll your SAN, increases your chance to activate the sniper and do some damage. That's just one measure of increased effectiveness.

Try looking at the increase in breaking your opponents units. That big increase in 2MC and CTC chances on the 7 chart, means that you are more likely to break your opponent, or to cause a PTC against an unconcealed target. There's another measure against the IIFT. More broken enemy squads is good, more Pinned enemy squads is good.

Both of those might not effect the current game you're playing, dice being what they are. (Cursed wretched things that never roll well when you need them to...) But there will come a time when you are placing yourself at a disadvantage, or gaining an advantage solely based on the selection of fire table.