When should Microsoft replace the Xbox 360?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
The current generation of console platforms have already served longer than any previous generation and they continue to work well. But how long can Sony and Microsoft go before launching the PS4 and Xbox 460?

SkaterMcgee

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don, I am pretty sure the pattern has been every 7 years, for next gen cosoles... Are you a console gamer?

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I still have my N64 and PS2!! I want a PS3 and I think that both the 360 and PS3 haven't lived up to their potential yet imho. But then again I don't own either so I can't really say much there.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Don, I am pretty sure the pattern has been every 7 years, for next gen cosoles...
True. However, Sony is still supporting the PS2 and they count that as part of the lifespan of the console. In contrast, if you consider one generation "dead" as soon as the next generation is released, then the lifespan is far shorter. Personally, I consider the PS2 and Xbox to be at end-of-life for the purposes of what we are talking about here, even though I know they are still quite active.

ShaterMcgee said:
Are you a console gamer?
I started out as a console gamer, and a rather hardcore one at that. I was one of the first people to buy the 32-bit adapter for the Sega (the Sega 32X) so I could play Doom as soon as it was released. Man that was awesome! I played until the wheels feel off the wagon. I was also one of the handful of people who owned the Sega CD and the Atari Jaguar.

I was still playing on the Jaguar when I got my first computer, which a friend taught me how to build with parts we bought at a computer show in New York. Since then I've primarily been a PC gamer, however, I own an Xbox 360 and use that for sports games and few specialty titles which play better on the console than on the PC (Dead Space, for example). We also have a Wii and a PSP here in the house, but those aren't my kind of games so I rarely touch either.

SkaterMcgee

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I started out as a console gamer, and a rather hardcore one at that. I was one of the first people to buy the 32-bit adapter for the Sega (the Sega 32X) so I could play Doom as soon as it was released. Man that was awesome! I played until the wheels feel off the wagon. I was also one of the handful of people who owned the Sega CD and the Atari Jaguar.
I started out with the SNES, when I was 4, but my gaming experience started in the 90's since I was born in 1990, but I am mainly a PC Gamer now myself.

Pdqport

1st Caveman Superhero
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The current generation of console platforms have already served longer than any previous generation and they continue to work well. But how long can Sony and Microsoft go before launching the PS4 and Xbox 460?
It seems like the Kinect is really going to extend the life cycle of the 360 and Sony has always seemed to plan for a longer lifetime for its consoles. Heck they just got the PS3 really straightened out and selling in the past year or so.

Is there really any big demand for a new generation of consoles right now? All the innovation driving the market seems to be in motion control and adding online services.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't see any reason to introduce new consoles. I forget how long they've been out but I still don't get the feeling like they need replacement already.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ironically, in this case the reason why MS/Sony/etc. might be forced to release new systems is because the PC has begun to move on to 64-bit gaming. Before too long, 64-bit will be the standard on the PC and suddenly console gaming will look limited and shabby by comparison. Game devs have been chomping at the bit to start exploring the vast possibilities of 64-bit games but have been denied because of the whole need for cross-platform titles. This situtation cannot persist for long. So, the consoles will need to go 64-bit soon. Probably 2012.