When is Hull Down revealed in setup

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am setting up onboard (first) as is my opponent. I roll successfully for HD status on a hill that is in LOS of his setup area.
Do I need to put the counter onboard:
1. as part of my setup,
2. after he sets up and has los to the tank, or
3. only when he shoots at me?

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I'd say 1.

HD is not a Fortification.

von Marwitz
I would agree, adding one curiosity: the RB doesn't explain how to denote a concealed, HD vehicle (unless I am missing something).

A12.2 states that "the BU, CE, TCA status of a concealed vehicle may be secretly recorded at setup but must be revealed when the vehicle is unconcealed." It does not seem to say the same regarding HD status. Should the HD counter be under the "?", on top of the "?" or secretly recorded? I have to assume the latter, but I don't think this was made explicit.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

The last time I played this (since [D4.221] states HD attempt at start needs to be POST-setup), I rolled the HD attempt in front of my opponent before we start.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

The last time I played this (since [D4.221] states HD attempt at start needs to be POST-setup), I rolled the HD attempt in front of my opponent before we start.
The HD attempt is actually made during your set-up. You roll as you set-up each unit, then your opponent does the same when he is setting up.

I would have a house rule that if you are a Scenario Defender, you can roll for HD secretly and record such status on a side note (much like the CE/TCA) and then reveal it when the unit loses Concealment.

Seems a bit silly to make a public dr with a secret set-up.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Not on topic, but (somewhat) related:

Q. A12.11 Can a 5/8" Dummy stack claim Emplaced Gun TEM or AFV immunity to Infantry fire? Can HD or turret markers be placed in a 5/8" Dummy stack?

A. Yes for Emplaced Gun TEM, no to immunity. No[Letter8]

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I am setting up onboard (first) as is my opponent. I roll successfully for HD status on a hill that is in LOS of his setup area.
Do I need to put the counter onboard:
1. as part of my setup,
2. after he sets up and has los to the tank, or
3. only when he shoots at me?
You put the counter on the board when the vehicle becomes unconcealed...if it is not set up concealed, then the counter is placed as the vehicle is set up.

A12.2:
"...The BU, CE, TCA, HD status of a concealed vehicle may be secretly recorded at setup but must be revealed when the vehicle is unconcealed...."

Errata from ASL Journal 11:
A12.2: antepenultimate sentence, after “TCA” add “, HD”.