When Fish Quit ASL, Not Really.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
In the Do You Kindle thread I mentioned that we rarely did it and I was enough of a jick without doing that. I continued that after one session of gunnin Fish said he was quitting playing ASL. This is a rundown of that session with commentary I wrote at the time. Enjoy.

Tanks In the Street
4-30-93 5-1-93
Germans = Darryl
U.S. = Fish
1B German SAN = 2
2A German SAN eliminated
2B aircraft enter
3A Darryl wins
Fish demonstrates telekinesis, he makes the boards fly across the room.

Tanks in the Street
5-2-93
Germans = Darryl
U.S. = Fish
2B FB enter
3B Fish wins
Fish wins honorably, taking skillful advantage of Darryl's 12s and 2 scenarios getting airpower as soon as possible.

A New Kind Of Foe
5-2-93
Germans = Darryl
Russians/Part = Fish

3,4,7,9 spared
2B The game that caused Fish to quit playing ASL.

That's what is in the notebook. No clue about the " spared ".

VE Day May 8, 1993
A New Kind of Foe
German = Darryl
Russians = Fish
spared 2 3 5 8 9 10
2B Fish quits in disgust

A New Kind of Foe
May 8th 1993
Germans = Fish
Russians = Darryl
8B Fish wins

Lol obviously he didn't quit!🤣

A DYO
11-7-92
The game that caused Fish to break his dice tower ( heh heh heh )

Not many notes on that one but it proves I am The Jick!! Even without kindling.🤣

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
We all say we're quitting this thing called ASL. Some actually do it for a while then return.
Reminds me of the 3rd Rock From the Sun episode where Dick starts smoking cigarettes and is chain smoking. Sally tells him he is smoking one after another. He tells her he can quit anytime and puts out the cigarette. Within a few seconds he lights up another one. " Oh look I've started again. " 🤣🤣

Fish took a couple days but I knew he'd be back for more.

When we did quit it was for good and not related to jicking him. I could do that in most games we played and did so.

We played Strato-Matic Baseball with All Star teams consisting mostly old timers. Paul Waner was on my team and Fish started calling him Mr. Wonderful because he performed so much better than his real life playing.

Head to head Assault Rigs on Playstation was an entirely different matter there. Hard to jick someone who remembers all the details. Rarely beat him on that. Could and did jick him on Hot Shots Golf. Loved both those games.🥰🥰

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
From ASL Scenario Archive, it looks like A New Kind of Foe had a Bombardment.

Board 32 undergoes Bombardment (C1.8).

You recorded the spared numbered hexes.
Thanks! It was a Dark and Stormy night and was trying to do three things at once. Too busy ( 🤪🤪🤪 ) to check myself!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
We all say we're quitting this thing called ASL. Some actually do it for a while then return.
"Returning after quitting ASL" is a most expensive affair as quite a number around here have had to realize at their cost.

I have never thought of quitting even though at times other hobbies or life push ASL aside.
Whenever someone talks about quitting, I will be the first one advising: "Ok, but NEVER EVER sell your kit."

I believe rather than talking about quitting, one should better be lamenting about not having enough time to play. The transition should not be too difficult, as most of us are quite adept at lamenting about dice... ;)

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
"Returning after quitting ASL" is a most expensive affair as quite a number around here have had to realize at their cost.

I have never thought of quitting even though at times other hobbies or life push ASL aside.
Whenever someone talks about quitting, I will be the first one advising: "Ok, but NEVER EVER sell your kit."

I believe rather than talking about quitting, one should better be lamenting about not having enough time to play. The transition should not be too difficult, as most of us are quite adept at lamenting about dice... ;)

von Marwitz
We kept our kits after we quit in 1995. A couple years after that a young co-worker was interested in ASL so I loaned him my whole kit to check out. He moved and said it got lost in the move. Right.

I don't mind the loss of the boards and counters that much but my rulebook is a different matter. At Oktoberfest I asked players to sign it, like a yearbook. Lots of players did. That I quite miss. Lesson learned. Only loan out what you won't miss.

After Fish passed I got his rulebooks. His brother Mike sold the rest. I believe someone on the forum from Scandinavia bought some of his counters off of Mike at ASLOK. I am horrible at remembering names, sorry.

Fish had a purple box Squad Leader that I hope found a good home.