When can we expect TacOps 5 ?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I don't believe the developer ever definitively stated that there ever will be a TacOps 5.

RedMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What are you talking about, Don ?

MajorH was working on version 5, way back when, which was supposed to include scenario editors incorporating single player A/I and better maps etc.

Granted I haven't been in the TacOps loop for awhile, which is why I ask about the status of a version 5 in the first place. I sure hope he puts one out. That would be too bad if not.

Biggest problem I've had with this game engine is the lack of single player scenario possibilities. I don't CPX, and generic scenarios don't cut the mustard.

So I have installed and uninstalled this game countless times over the years.

MajorH, was gibs ??

out

P.S. While I have your attention Don. I sure miss Warfare Hq. I can't stand Game Squad! Too commercial.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's still unclear what will happen. If a TacOps5 gets released it is also a possibility that it will have multiple elevations (instead of 2). A TacOps 5 would not have an autonomous AI like CMx1 has, what would be added is the capability that the user (or rather, the scenario designer) can add plans to a scenario. Right now those plans are in the C code.

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's also canoeing/sailing season in Texas which will probably bring any work the good MajorH is doing to a halt for a few weeks.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
GameSquad has tried to get official clarification on this issue in the past, and it is still unclear what will happen. Not much more I can add to that.

RedMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well MajorH used to be pretty prolific over at Battlefront but that forum seems to have dried up since their website rebuild.

Like I said I haven't messed with TacOps in a few years and was just wondering what the status of the next version was and apparently there is no status. Oh well.

out

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He has stated on the mailing list that he has purchased development tools to aid in work on TacOps5. As Gary said, the weather is warming and MajorH is mostly retired so he is enjoying life. The possibility remains open.

That said. Hopefully he gets a burst of creative energy and gets some work cranked out. We could do a rain dance to drive the Major indoors this summer but that would likely drive in varmints too and be counterproductive to dedicated code work :D

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I have not idea what the Major's plans are for TacOps. But if there is only going to one last edition of TacOps (TacOps 5), then it would be cool if this last version included a unit editor. That would go a long way toward giving the game additional life and give players who own previous version a solid reason to purchase TacOps 5. Of course, a real scenario editor that included the ability to script the AI would be a must.

Perhaps there will be many more versions of TacOps in the future. But if there is to be just one more, I hope it is "TacOps Ultimate" or something like that.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't seen the Major being open to that idea, unfortunately. XML file formats with their integration of external validation tools and parsers for your application's use would make user-edited data files much safer than anything that came before. But I don't think it's gonna happen.