What's your feeling after the last patch ?

turbidite

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As already reported, it's faster and some graphical routine seems to have been improved.

However there has been a couple of weird stuff happening:

-the return of mathematical ops errors (like division by 0 and such) when using the Staff officers window - mostly with Ammunition and Targeting tabs. When that happen, the window becomes un-closable and the game has to be closed and reopened. I suspect they are linked to the "Accuracy values now saved as floating point values for added precision" change as I didn't get these errors before.

-auto-crewing of guns ("Added AI to automatically create appropriate crew weapons systems and units in games" from changelog). This sounded like a good idea however it looks like there is no check to see if you are re-loading a game or starting a new one. I was playing the smallest scenario available and had destroyed a Polish mortar crew when I got a crash of the staff officer window and had to reload. To my surprise, I got a message at reload that missing crew had been added. Zombies :D

-the Intel tab on the Staff officers window doesn't seem to be working properly since, at least, the last two updates. When running the scenario mentioned before (Sons of Chaos), the polish unit were being detected by themselves in the Intel tab, not by german units. Is that expected when running with no fog of war ? Is the Intel screen working properly on your scenarios ?

-it doesn't look like the scenarios are taken care off at all. Another "small" scenario has tanks + CAS so I tried to play it and, if you're using the stock version, all the planes paths are broken with negative coordinates. The only way to have a proper game is to clear their defined patch and assign them to the adjutant.

-The POA2 Dataviewer is still scanning my whole harddrive the first time I start it. I reported this to Scott directly but never got an answer. It's very annoying. The TU dataviewer doesn't have this issue at all so it's something with the POA2 version only.

That's all for now.

Mike Acid

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
When I make a new scenario and choose troops a pop up tells me that some units lack radios. One can ofcourse change TF to radioman unit (I usually do it, seems logical), but without any changes the chain of command gets screwed. Sometimes the game complains certain units in platoons have communication problems, but as far as I know one can't give units radios. Seems like a formation data problem.

When I'm going to bomb with artillery and change calling/sighting unit I get C++ errors. I think I've had this problems for a very long time.

I noticed that my mortars never fire (unless AI controlled). When looking at the data for 81mm mortar they have 0 meter DF range?

Some windows are not scaleable, so I can't read all the text. For example changing HQ for a unit is a mess.

The firinglines during combat only worked for me the first turn.

The window showing combat results could need a some colourization on key texts for easy reading.

I got a c++ when I clicked on airplane pathways

The game needs serious optimization. It's still too slow for me to enjoy it properly. At the moment the game don't even recommend over 500 units total before it gets unstable. It is way to low for my taste.

It is probably more I have forgotten, but sadly I will probably just wait for the next update in about 6-9 months time and find the game is more or less in the same state.

R_Harry_Z

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
greetings from new board memeber. :)

After taking a break from TU since 2013, I finally came to install the latest public updates as of 2014. Beside the things already mentioned above (I confirm), I´d like to add some other findings:

1. Any positive (1+) "concealment" hex terrain value raises small arms targeting accuracy at infantry (other not tested) in a hex to around 80-100% at several hunderd meters. In other words, as long as conceal value in a hex is 0, accuracy appears to be normal (<=10%) and any number above as taken from the TEC will make accuracy going over the top. Should be the opposite effect actually (more concealment = less enemy unit accuracy). I see that ingame, but also when meddling in sandbox mode.

2. Infantry (composite or not) and not a part of a maneuver group always get stuck in "urban clearing" mode when entering a hex with building IP´s, no matter any the related tickboxes (urban clearing/room by room) in various forms are checked or not. Movement tab then shows clr followed by six digits with path execution time always at 275 hours remaining. Can only get unstuck by clearing whole movement order and then renew any movement orders out of that hex.

3. Many the IP types that are normally assumed to have overhead cover, including buildings and various forts lack entries for OH cover type (timber, reinforced concrete, ect.) I think the missing data leads to highly increased spotting chances vs units in any hexes including those IP types. Fortunately the data editor allows editing IP data (goes into the SPL file), so after adding OH/C types to the file, the increased spotting ability vanishes.

4. Non metal type armors (brick, timber, concrete, earth, ect) need checking. Penetration data even from small arms is as high as 4-5 times from normal. Here´s some real life data I have for the german 7,92mm sS round fired from K98k (755m/s V0) I compared with:

Brick: Standard size red brick (250mm) can not be penetrated unless you hit a joint. (repeated hits from rifle or MG not considered)

Timber (dried pinewood) maximum penetration for mentioned sS round is as follows:

650mm @ 100m (lowered pen due to deformation of the projectile)
850mm @ 400m
450mm @ 800m
200mm @ 1800m

Max penetration of earth/sand: ~900mm

So basically and with given armor thickness for armors using these types in the data table, these offer highly reduced cover, up to high range. I.e you can easily kill and shoot out infantry with small arms when occupying a city block at several hundred meters for example.

There´s a number of missing data in the guns and weapon system tables, like german standard 80mm mortar having no HE rounds (just smoke and airburst), or german 7,5cm (and other similar types) IG 18 classed as non IF types. The IG 18 & 33 were standard support howitzers, mainly used in indirect fire role, with DF beeing an added capablity. These are not guns beeing pushed around and moved into an attack by their crew, like some the late WW1 guns in german army.

So these are just some observations while testing the 2014 files and I have many more, but I´d rather wait for the oncoming patch to recheck.

cheers, Harry

turbidite

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just trying the new forum, seems to work fine :)

Unlike the latest TU beta patchs (Tigers Unleashed Beta 24/08/16 and Tigers Unleashed Beta 08/09/16) :mad:. After much waiting (last official patch is two years old :eek:), I decided to give it a go, re-installed from scratch and followed the instruction given by the installer to delete some old files.

Results:

-when trying to start a new scenario, floating point exception and the map doesn't display. I tried to run the map builder separately and also get the same error so it seems it could be the culprit.

-just for fun, tried to load the weapons database to have a look. It doesn't open. Looking in Filemon (handy system monitoring tool), the application seems unable to complete loading the database and get stuck in an infinite loop.

Should I say that I'm running XP. Yes it's old but it is (was) a supported system when I bought TU. I have a hunch that the compiler change is responsible for this disaster as the previous patchs worked well (at least the game started). Since other testers of the patch didn't report issues, I assume it is running fine on the latest windows version.

If it's not the final straw, it is pretty close.

bigus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It loads fine for me on Windows 10 and 7.
The only thing that should be deleted are the scenario files.
do not delete the tutorial files.

There are still a few problems and a new Beta is due any day now.
Problems I had were:
Certain scenarios would not load correctly after a save.
there was a problem with DF targeting and spotting. (supposedly fixed in the upcoming beta)

Urban clearing problem was fixed in 9/8/2016 patch.
All in all, the latest beta is 100 times more playable than TU_1_00_11(beta_n)

bigus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I can confirm the new beta has fixed the DF targeting and spotting problem.
Still some issues but I feel this is close to a stable release.