Whats your favourite opening?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good question! After checking my opening statistics over at Chessworld.net, it would appear that I favor:

As White
1) Ponziani Opening: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.c3
2) Scotch Game: 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4
3) Three Knights' Opening: 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Nc3

As Black
1) Italian Game (Giuoco Piano): 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5
2) Italian Game (Giuoco Piano) / Hungarian Defense: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Be7
3) Latvian Gambit: 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 f5!?

Now, you might be wondering why I chose these openings. Well, the simple answer is: I don't know! :nuts: Truth is, I just go with what seems to be the right reply in light of my opponent's suspected intent.

Last edited:

dwardzala

Va Tech Hokie
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I tend to like the Ruy Lopez Exchange as white and the Scicilian as black. I think I like these primarily because they were the first two that I learned.

Although I can't honestly say I play these (or any opening for that matter) by the book.

Graystonw

Reaction score
First name
Gray
Country
llUnited States
As Black vs.

1. e4 - French
1. d4 - King's Indian

I like counter-attack defenses, and both of these can put White to a decision early.

As White

1. d4

Mostly because I get tired of seeing the Sicilian. :D

Lurker

Reaction score
I've been messing around with the Van Geet (1.Nc3) for a while now over at IYT. It's a very flexible opening and it's interesting how many opponents seem to take it very lightly.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As Black vs.

1. e4 - French
1. d4 - King's Indian

I like counter-attack defenses, and both of these can put White to a decision early.

As White

1. d4

Mostly because I get tired of seeing the Sicilian. :D
Welcome to GameSquad and the chess forum, Graystonw! Be sure to stick around for this year's chess tourney!

I must admit that I have recently become enamored with the Sicilian. I avoided it like the plague for the longest time, but now I am starting to understand why it is so popular.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been messing around with the Van Geet (1.Nc3) for a while now over at IYT. It's a very flexible opening and it's interesting how many opponents seem to take it very lightly.
Van Geet...hmm, haven't heard of that one. I need to look it up so I am prepared for all your tricks during the tourney. ;)

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I guess the opening I tend to use most often are the:

As Black: the Sicilian Defence
the King's Fianchetto Defence
the Queen's fianchetto Defence

As White : the Ruy Lopez
the Vienna Opening

but to say are text book, I would be lieing.:hush:

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
As white i figure i have such a large advantage over my opponant (cough cough) that i prefer to play the guico piano, developing pieces and taking control of the center. Then daring black to beat my from there. I know the first 3 moves of this devastating opening. Look out for it when you play me as black.

When i play black, my mindset is that i have already lost, so i throw everything at white in an attempt to rush him or make him panic and then it becomes a dog fight where either side can win (or loose the game). And as black i will take those odds. I'm liable to do something like the centre gambit just to shock white and have him scrambling for his text books.

After mastering the first 3 moves of the Guico, i expanded my repotoire and have tried to play a few games where i open with the kings gambit. I liked the idea of trading off a pawn for time and space, and against some newbies they couldnt decide whether to take the offered pawn or not (believing it to be too good to be true and thus a trap) and that simply broke them mentally for the rest of the game. Again, i have memorised the first 3 moves of this opening.

I remember also working through Birds opening but i honestly cant remember how that one went. I read a simple paragraph about the GM Bird (maybe even the Chessmaster description) and thought he sounded good so i dug up Birds opening.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been on the business end of Mr. Bird's Opening more than a few times and let me tell you that in practiced hands, it can be formidable. <shudder>

I like your strategy with black. It sounds like the advice offered by Tartakower in my sig. :)

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
OK, so i only play the first 3 moves of an opening, and after that i go native and start making whatever moves i think are right at the time.

You, knowing 15 variations of the opening i played to a depth of 30+ moves per variation, do you have any advantage over me considering i dont know what move i'm making next until after i see your next move???

Foggy

Reaction score
OK, so i only play the first 3 moves of an opening, and after that i go native and start making whatever moves i think are right at the time.

You, knowing 15 variations of the opening i played to a depth of 30+ moves per variation, do you have any advantage over me considering i dont know what move i'm making next until after i see your next move???
Ha Ha - does KG pass to Paul or look for RA for the 3 pointer:laugh:

Lurker

Reaction score

I would say the advantage can be considerable but that's not a given.

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

One might be amazed that we actually think 7 to 10 move ahead and on't even know it. I studied myself and found this to be true. Knowing openings well and variations takes alot of guess work out of the game.....I believe if one knows them well he can force his opponent into moves and his opponent would not even know. Especiall if you don't think until your opponent moves.:smoke: