What's Your Desktop Wallpaper?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Blank. Nice blue background. But only because I tend to use the desktop as a dumping ground for "temporary" files and I like to keep it blank so I can find them with a minimum of background clutter. Ironically, I just moved most of them into a folder called "temp" this morning. ;) Still not going to change it. Used to have a picture of a redheaded girl I was seeing, standing behind her motorcycle with her helmet on, just her baby blues peeking out. Was a cool photo which I also had framed on my wall; when we parted ways, it was only healthy to remove it from my desktop. Not unhappy about the void. Always figure that if I have to take the PC in for repairs, I'd as soon not have anything regrettable on there anyway. I believe I had some Hajime Sorayama at one time and had to explain to the techs who assured me not to worry, they had "seen it all" as far as wallpaper, which I am sure is true.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I use a program called xearth. You can use ortographic and mercator maps if you wish. I prefer the globe. The programs updates the globe every 5 minutes (more frequently if you want). I use the default viewpoint (the observer is the sun). Its nice for VASL because you can see who is on the light/dark side of the earth. There are some other neat things (it can show you where earth quakes are for instance). -- jim

johnnyblame

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi
I am new in this thread. my desktop wallpaper is my own picture with nice background. Every I like to change my wallpaper.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I never heard of that. Do you have a link?

Edit: Found the URL here. Do you have a screenshot of how it works?
I could take one, but just install it. Its a small program, takes virtually no CPU cycles, 1872K of memory. If you don't like it, just stop the process and set the back ground to something else. I have used it for about two decade's (back when I had to compile it myself from source). Just turn on the starts. If you can get the Lat/Longs for your house, you can even add your house in as a position on the earth. -- jim

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
I rotate through alot of backgrounds whenever I find something I like. Here is my current one.

edit- so apparently all my background files are to big to up load so I guess I have to describe it :blab:
Its a HD picture of a city on the coast at evening taken from the top of a near by hill looking down on the city.

Last edited:

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I rotate backgrounds a lot too. Back in the day I would use just a plain black background in order to save some resources.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Blade Runner, by artist Chris Moore. I also have this print hanging in my living room.

Redwolf, thanks for posting the 'Apollo 8 Earthrise'. Beautiful. In an otherwise terrible year of war, civil unrest, and assassinations in the United States, the Apollo 8 Christmas mission practically saved 1968! :)
But it brought about years of strife and turmoil as Jim Lovell and Bill Anders grappled for credit regarding who took the famous photo...

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That Snow Battle is awesome!

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Deviant Art. I've got to check it out one day.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use a picture of the Angle at Gettysburg looking out towards where the Confederates came from.

Stagehand99

Recruit
Reaction score
On my Windoze laptop I use the Stonehenge picture supplied with the system. If I use anything else the stupid piece of c%$# REALLY bogs down.

My Mac at home has a picture of the lighting truss failure at the Christina Aguilara/Justin Timberlake concert in Atlantic City a few years ago. Not because I'm a fan (I'm not), but because it reminds me of what can happen if I screw up when I am rigging a show.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to admit, that SW one is pretty cool.

My favorite LotRs character is King Theoden, but Eowyn is excellent as well (and was extremely well cast). She is an example of a 'feminist' as the medieval world understood the term (in the tradition of the great female saints such as St. Catherine of Sienna), quite unlike the imposter feminists running around today.

JRodda

Reaction score
Well said Scott. Thanks for the comments.

Have you played KOTOR2? In many ways the story was more rich and deep than KOTOR1, and darker too. Unfortunately though, the end game was seriously flawed.

I agree with you totally about Theoden. One of the better supporting LOTR characters. BTW, I think actor Bernard Hill did a good job with Theoden in the movie, though I think he went a little over-the-top with the whole guilt-angst thing.

Concerning Eowyn, I like what someone said about her film character in a ladies of science fiction and fantasy magazine special issue: "Her romantic advances were rejected by Aragorn, which means there's hope for the rest of us!" lol

JRodda

Reaction score
Good one Quellist. I like a lot, thanks for sharing. The scene is sort of Gothic and apocalyptic, like Kerrigan: QoB. :surprise: