What's you favorite Game Company?

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not really; I have stuff from AH, SPI, Victory, TSR, GDW, and few others... The ones I play the most are GDW and TSR since they're quick and easy, but I wouldn't necessarily call them my favorite, just the most played out of ease.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
My favorite game company had always been The Gamers. Since Dean sold to MMP, it's been a toss up between them, CoA and GMT.

My favorite distributor is Sandi Hire at HomerGames. (She is always reliable and a former employee of Dean Essig of The Gamers.

My favorite stores are Games Plus in Mt. Prospect, IL and Prosec's in Winfield, IL.

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I have not had as many dealings with the Gamers - but those I did - they have top notch customer service

-same deal with GMT, I cannot say enough about those guys out there (and I wished some software companies :cough - talonsoft :cough: - had bothered to care about their customers like GMT did (and I presume does).

am a sucker for Rodger MacGowen counter art as well...

Pete G

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Amen on GMT and MMP/The Gamers.

Outstanding support on both counts, and the components those guys crank out are exceptional. My SCS Crusader gets a good deal of table-time since it's a tight offering that plays in the afternoon ... the same goes for Clash of Giants, the Tannenberg scenario in particular. I'd knock MMP a bit for the way things are going with reprints of the ASL RB and Beyond Valor, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

There's also a place in my heart for Steve Jackson Games, if only for creating Ogre. I still set that one up when I have a spare hour to kill. (Echoing Chris V's comments to some regard there.) "Prettier" games exist, but Ogre gets a lot of play.

-Pete

PanzerElite

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am a hard core GMT guy. I have a soft spot for Victory games as well... One cannot forget the DTP companies out there like Microgame Design Group or Khyber Pass Games, as they have put out many of my favorites...

ericmwalters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Favorite Game Company

This is a hard question to answer....

Prior to the merger with MMP, The Gamers were my favorite. They probably still are--it's just that the merger is still pretty new so it's hard to tell. I love their designs; the customer service was usually stellar.

GMT and Clash of Arms come next. I love that both companies take on unusual topics and do it with flair. The quality of designs are usually consistently good.

After that come some of the little guys. Operational Studies Group (OSG) and New England Simulations (NES). Solid stuff. I also cheer on some of the ASL "third party" efforts, like HEAT OF BATTLE products.

Sure, I like MMP...if only because they've kept ASL and the Civil War series that Joe Balkoski started alive. Some glitches plague their products, but their hearts are in the right place and they get better every new product they bring out.

Games Research/Design (GR/D) always brings a smile to my face if only because they keep the Europa dream alive...and have brought the system to World War I and the Pacific.

Against The Odds magazine is great...it's too early to tell whether they'll be a benchmark in the industry, but they sure are trying hard. I like the competition with Strategy and Tactics/Decision Games...Joe Miranda makes some excellent games for the latter and it's good to see the unusual topics get the coverage they deserve. S&T magazine has uneven quality, but I keep subscribing. ATO is picking up where COMMAND left off and is leaps and bounds ahead, in my opinion...

Columbia Games--those block titles. Some of my favorites--ROMMEL IN THE DESERT, EAST FRONT, etc.

So you may be asking what game companies I have beefs about. I confess having a love-hate relationship with Critical Hit. I know I'm not alone in that. When they're good, they are terrific. Really--just ask anyone who has played some of their really good SQUADS AND LEADERS modules or ADVANCED TOBRUK SYSTEM (ATS) games. When they're not so good, they're really terrible. And customer service never was their strong suit in any respect.

Okay. I know this question is bound to come up. What were my favorite "oldy but moldy" game companies?

First--Avalon Hill. Their quality was usually consistently high. They put the game in wargame.

Second--Battleline and Yaquinto. Pioneering works that usually got picked up by AH. IRONCLADS, WINGS, PANZER/88/ARMOR, SUBMARINE, AIR FORCE/DAUNTLESS, FLATTOP/CV, all come to mind.

Third--Game Designer's Workshop (GDW). I have fond memories of some of their efforts...and who can forget some of those monsters they produced which started a genre?

Fourth--Simulations Publications Incorporated, the venerable SPI. Sure, there were a lot of dogs. But the gems were memorable and they pushed the envelope for everyone else. Who can forget AIR WAR, TO THE GREEN FIELDS BEYOND, WACHT AM RHEIN, WAR IN EUROPE, TERRIBLE SWIFT SWORD, HIGHWAY TO THE REICH, WELLINGTON'S VICTORY, WAR IN THE PACIFIC, PANZERGRUPPE GUDERIAN, FREDERICK THE GREAT?

--emw

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think agree with several different people on several posts.

1) I have had some HORINDOUS experiences with Talon Soft. I especially loved being hung out to dry twice by them.

2) I love the Gamers. I too am in the camp of wait and see with MMP. I will say this though. I got the new ASL Starter kit at Origins and I am loving the game. It is a great stepping stone to the big binder.

3) Critical Hit, what can I say, I got one game from them that was absolutely awesome. Without thinking I decided to get another and wow was I let down. It just seems to be all or nothing with them.

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Favorite Game Company

Originally posted by ericmwalters

Against The Odds magazine is great...it's too early to tell whether they'll be a benchmark in the industry, but they sure are trying hard. I like the competition with Strategy and Tactics/Decision Games...
I was wondering if you could give more details about the magazine. Do you think it has some serious staying power?

Gepard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm a Fan of Clash of Arms

I think my favorite gaming company isn't necessarily the best. I happen to love the Napoleonic period of warfare. As someone once noted, "The Age of the Military Tailor."

Clash of Arms has made some of the prettiest games ever. Their art work on the counters are simply amazing. If you ever see one of those games set-up, you will know exactly what I mean. They have embraced the spirit of the age and that gets reflected in their games.

Now, if you want to know who I think makes the best military simulations, that might elicit a different response.

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: I'm a Fan of Clash of Arms

Originally posted by Gepard

Clash of Arms has made some of the prettiest games ever. Their art work on the counters are simply amazing. If you ever see one of those games set-up, you will know exactly what I mean. They have embraced the spirit of the age and that gets reflected in their games.
I only have a handful of their games but they are a good piece of art. I wish more companies but that much effort into their game pieces and maps.

I think it is safe to say that some games are extremely enhanced by using great art work!

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Originally posted by jguritza
I think agree with several different people on several posts.

1) I have had some HORINDOUS experiences with Talon Soft. I especially loved being hung out to dry twice by them.

2) I love the Gamers. I too am in the camp of wait and see with MMP. I will say this though. I got the new ASL Starter kit at Origins and I am loving the game. It is a great stepping stone to the big binder.

3) Critical Hit, what can I say, I got one game from them that was absolutely awesome. Without thinking I decided to get another and wow was I let down. It just seems to be all or nothing with them.
Jack,
I've played some of the early scenarios from basic SL, but never ASL. I think they've done themselves a great service by reestablishing a new crowd with the ASLSK. Although, go to their Company's thread on consimworld and the die hard ASLers are constantly moaning about Armies of Oblivion not being out yet.

Regarding their recent release of A Fearful Slaughter, there were some major league glitches by a certain principle no longer at MMP. In their defense, they did everything possible to straighten things up. Problem is they did everything they could to delay the publication of the game. Dean would easily have had the game out by 11/2001 with few, if any glitches, instead we had to wait two and a half years later.

Besides The Gamers' great customer service, they could pride themselves in having at least a good game out on time. When Dean said a game would come out on XX/XX/XXXX date, it was out and in our hands. Now we have Games Plus, of Mt. Prospect, IL that still might not have DAK2, yet, and Brian Youse was unaware. Knowing him, though, if he said he'd correct the situation, I have some degree of confidence that he would.

ericmwalters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does ATO Have Legs?

Question by jguritza on AGAINST THE ODDS (ATO) magazine: "I was wondering if you could give more details about the magazine. Do you think it has some serious staying power?"

Disclaimer: I've been a subscriber since they started. I am also probably the kind of guy the magazine is designed for--fairly sophisticated, middle-aged wargamer/military history fan who grew up with wargames for most of his life.

The emphasis in the magazine when it comes to the articles is an emphasis on history--serious history--and on game design. I read my issues from cover to cover...something I can't say I do with STRATEGY AND TACTICS...or even COMMAND when I subscribed back in those days. I'll confess I've not played many of the games that have come with the magazine--although I'll tell you it's not because I've not wanted to. All are on topics that are quite unusual or not covered well for some of the better known battles/periods.

If I had a complaint, it would be with some of the wargame graphics--sometimes in the desire to be different, the game map and/or pieces can be a little too garish or hard to look at for long periods of times. The best looking games are HEGEMON and NAPOLEON AT THE BEREZINA; I'd hope this is the level of graphic quality they gravitate to in the future.

Will ATO last? Hard to tell at this point. So far, all signs appear to be promising. But I will admit I'm not likely to take out any "life subscriptions" on anything when offered!

Hope this helped,
--emw

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Does ATO Have Legs?

Originally posted by ericmwalters
Question by jguritza on AGAINST THE ODDS (ATO) magazine: "I was wondering if you could give more details about the magazine. Do you think it has some serious staying power?"

Disclaimer: I've been a subscriber since they started. I am also probably the kind of guy the magazine is designed for--fairly sophisticated, middle-aged wargamer/military history fan who grew up with wargames for most of his life.

The emphasis in the magazine when it comes to the articles is an emphasis on history--serious history--and on game design. I read my issues from cover to cover...something I can't say I do with STRATEGY AND TACTICS...or even COMMAND when I subscribed back in those days. I'll confess I've not played many of the games that have come with the magazine--although I'll tell you it's not because I've not wanted to. All are on topics that are quite unusual or not covered well for some of the better known battles/periods.

If I had a complaint, it would be with some of the wargame graphics--sometimes in the desire to be different, the game map and/or pieces can be a little too garish or hard to look at for long periods of times. The best looking games are HEGEMON and NAPOLEON AT THE BEREZINA; I'd hope this is the level of graphic quality they gravitate to in the future.

Will ATO last? Hard to tell at this point. So far, all signs appear to be promising. But I will admit I'm not likely to take out any "life subscriptions" on anything when offered!

Hope this helped,
--emw
Thanks for the input! The reason I ask is I at one time was reading Command and then when you realize you are only reading about 1/10th of the magazine it might be time to move on.

I have done S&T for several years but again I was finding myself reading one article at best. Loved the games I got with the magazine but I have not played all of them.

I wanted to get a barometer on the magazine so if I see it I will pick it up. Thanks!

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Tom DeFranco
Jack,
I've played some of the early scenarios from basic SL, but never ASL. I think they've done themselves a great service by reestablishing a new crowd with the ASLSK. Although, go to their Company's thread on consimworld and the die hard ASLers are constantly moaning about Armies of Oblivion not being out yet.

I have played Squad Leader for years but when it came to ASL I saw the binder and many time I was like…Well I could….Well I should…I was going to buy the binder and join a group to play with and then I had to move for work.

When MMP come out with the ASLSK I purchased it at Origins this past year and I love it. Not a huge change from Squad Leader but enough. Once I get a firm grip on ASLSK I will move on to the binder.

Personally with ASL gamers they are extremely passionate about the game. They are die hard fans of the game and system. If you dangle the carrot you better deliver or else you have some very upset people.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Originally posted by jguritza
I have played Squad Leader for years but when it came to ASL I saw the binder and many time I was like…Well I could….Well I should…I was going to buy the binder and join a group to play with and then I had to move for work.

When MMP come out with the ASLSK I purchased it at Origins this past year and I love it. Not a huge change from Squad Leader but enough. Once I get a firm grip on ASLSK I will move on to the binder.

Personally with ASL gamers they are extremely passionate about the game. They are die hard fans of the game and system. If you dangle the carrot you better deliver or else you have some very upset people.
Tell me about it. The ASL guys are whining that The Gamers' fans will have four products out by year's end, and they'll only have three. And the whining going on right now over Armies of Oblivion is unreal. They do have a point, though, supposedly they've been waiting since 1995.

ericmwalters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL Whining and MMP

I began playing SQUAD LEADER as a freshman college student as soon as it first came out in 1977 (the "purple box" edition). Even back then, AH promised gamettes if the system proved popular.

I got involved in the ASLRB playtest back in 1984/85 as a Marine lieutenant in the Camp Pendleton Conflict Simulations Club, thinking I could help move this effort along as it got too tough to juggle four rulebooks (CROSS OF IRON, CRESCENDO OF DOOM, and GI: ANVIL OF VICTORY on top of basic SL).

Here is, 2004--I'm a cynically jaded old Marine Colonel and sure...I still don't have ARMIES OF OBLIVION. But it's the last gamette. I've waited nearly thirty years...I think I can can hang on a few more months...or even another year or two.

People should take Paul Masson's jingle to heart..."There will be no wine (whine?) before it's time...."

I'll wait for a better product than get one now that is of lesser quality.

--emw

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For all the waiting and suspense I sure hope it is the icing on the top of the cake. I can only imagine what would happen if the release is not up to most everyone’s standards.

This is probably the most anticipated release I have ever heard about.