What's with board 55?

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
While updating scenarios from AP#11, I ran into something I've never seen before:

AP 105, "Cota's Last Stand?", features a cropped board 55 on top, with a cropped board 54 in the bottom position. When I checked the LOS tool, it claimed that everything from hexrow T was an overlay (it isn't).

The full-length board 55 does not have this problem. If you crop the board down to the last few rows, you don't see the problem then, either. When you get to hexrow T, you start having problems with an "overlay" that magically appears in hexrow 6. as you expand the size of your cropped board, this "magic" overlay keeps sneaking off the left. Later, it occurred to me to check the status of the last few hexrows on my cropped board, and lo! there was this outsized overlay, again!

I think somebody may have fat-fingered a line of code here, people!

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
I could, but I don't know how. Anyway, I'm not sure I could reproduce the problem with a screenshot.
My screenshot would be, a shot of board 55, which would work OK. My next screenshot would be of board 55, cropped in half - say, hexrow q to hexrow GG (it always seems to happen on the right side of the board). My problem is in trying to show this on a screenshot, as I cannot draw an LOS in a screenshot. Perhaps better if you fire up VASL, pull down board 55, then crop the board in half, and then attempt to check LOS to a hex somewhere toward the right, or GG, side of the board. THEN the problem should leap out at you.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You CAN string LOS and take a snip of the VASL board with a snipping tool. I think every version of Windows since W7 comes with the Snipping Tool installed.

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
Clubby, you are speaking above my pay grade as pertains to knowledge of Windows, or Snipping, or (Gasp!) Snapshots, but you did give me a clue about my discovered difficulties with board 55.

This not a problem with board 55, per se, but a problem with the LOS tool. Rather than carpet-bombing the Forum with inane questions, I would rather talk to someone who is knowledgeable on the subject of Snapshots, and Linking, and Snipping, etc. That's a lot of knowledge, of which I am sadly ignorant.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Beg to differ. I suspect the problem is with bd55 or else we would have heard of similar problems elsewhere.

That being said, I will check out all possibilities. Away from my computer for a few days but will have a look shortly. Thanks for flagging this.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Unable to duplicate. Board 55 truncated O-GG, board 54 (flipped) truncated A-S, 6-10. All hedges are bocage applied. All LOSes to/from 55T* and across 55T* seem perfectly normal.
vasl 6.4.1
vassal 3.2.17
board 55 version 6.1
board 54 version 6.0

$ java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_151"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_151-8u151-b12-1-b12)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.151-b12, mixed mode)

$ uname -r
4.13.0-1-amd64
$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description: Debian GNU/Linux testing (buster)
Release: testing
Codename: buster

Note that the regular board snapshot mechanism (ASL-guy, Save Map as PNG image) works just fine for taking a snapshot. Obviously I have cropped the original sample image shown below:

board55LOS.jpg

I do see a very ugly join line, and that affects the "hex center" calculation.

JR

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's not rocket science to use the snipping tool. Hit the windows key and type snip. Click Snipping Tool. Drag the rectangle around what you want to take a picture of. Save it. I'm sure google would yield a million results including video if you typed in "windows snipping tool."

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
Having seen the same result several times, with several boards (44, 66, among others) I have to conclude that what I am looking at is not a board bug, but a quirk of the LOS tool.

clubby, I will take a look at Windows Snipping Tool

Larry

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Rather than carpet-bombing the Forum with inane questions, I would rather talk to someone who is knowledgeable on the subject of Snapshots, and Linking, and Snipping, etc. That's a lot of knowledge, of which I am sadly ignorant.
Sorry for the slow follow up on this. I ended up away from my computer for longer than anticipated. I have some knowledge of the LOS tool, Snapshots, etc., so feel free to message me directly if you wish to discuss directly. I have tried to duplicate this error and cannot. What VASL version and board versions are you using?