What's the rationale for why AFVs can't fire out?

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
Leader wounded in your hex (berserk) and a HS elite with a PSK in the ADJ hex... Only because the hex is drawn with 40m radius the SMC is the only possible target even not being really an immediate danger. Maybe wrong with rules..too early here

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I'm pretty sure that if you take any rule in any wargame, it's easy to find a situation where the rule is counterintuitive and "non realistic". That doesn't mean the system itself is bad.

(And yes, this discussion has occured before on this forum - many times. And I've only been here for about two and a half years)

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
Nothing about the system.. surely the most enjoyable game I’ve ever played.. I’ve been playing SL since more than 30 years away.. and still interested in the game

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I wouldn't imagine the size and the complexity a rulebook covering all the corner cases and all the frustrations of people wanting ASL to be more realistic.
Many people already find the system very profuse in details, so it would hardly do a service to the hobby to make it even more complex.
Not speaking of the unexpected interactions of rule "fixes" with the rest of the ruleset, nor of the expected fact that people will complain about the lack of realism anyway and not less than before.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
IMO no mandatory target is one rule less than actual an based on the simultaneous nature of the movement phase.. to move a unit first phisically does not mean this units moved first in the phase.. it’s just that no option to move all units at the same time.. as you noted maybe the problem is excess of rules to control the carton soldiers

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I wouldn't imagine the size and the complexity a rulebook covering all the corner cases and all the frustrations of people wanting ASL to be more realistic.
Many people already find the system very profuse in details, so it would hardly do a service to the hobby to make it even more complex.
Not speaking of the unexpected interactions of rule "fixes" with the rest of the ruleset, nor of the expected fact that people will complain about the lack of realism anyway and not less than before.
ASL is a bit like the woman you marry:

It looks gorgeous, it is impressive and fascinating, and you want to spend more time with it, than you can. You don't want to part for the rest of your life and spend inordinate amounts of money on it - well invested, you hurry to assert. But of course, it has its corners and edges - it is splendid but not perfect. You will find some issues that give you trouble. ASL will tell you some things that just don't seem logical. It might even make you mad at times. But you will not really leave and reconcile yourself with the game. Furthermore, it will punish you if you forget the appropriate rules, so you better play by them and know them. It makes your life better.

At the same time, even after decades, it is able to surprise you with things you never knew. And over the years, you have developed an intimacy to its mechanisms that might even well surpass in satisfaction the euphoria of those first senarios you played all through the night.

However, you will be wise to realize, that you can never really change ASL in any fundamental way. There might be some minor errata fixed, but the general character remains the same. And if you are honest with yourself - you want it that way. That's why you fell in love with this game after all.

von Marwitz

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
But of course, it has its corners and edges...
von Marwitz
I don't know about the edges, but don't you trim the corners now?

...but seriously, good - unexpectedly thoughtful - post!:thumbsup:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
One says that you have come out of adolescence when you accept your parents as they are and don't try to change them.
Trying to reach adulthood in our relationship with ASL is a good objective.