What's The Most Fun Chess Program Out There These Days

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Does anyone own a real chess set?
I think my first chess set (maybe when i was 5) is still at my mums. Dark brown and yellow squares & pieces (cheap wooden pieces).
I also have two plastic, old computer sets. Though i think i have thrown at least one out. I will throw the other one out if i find it.
I'm thinking of buying a nice wooden chess set. 50% decoration, 50% for use.

Lurker

Reaction score
A real chess set - hell yes!! I love them! :redapple::bounce:

When I have the time I will set my games up on a board and shuffle pieces around, sometimes upwards of an hour a game, analyzing the position. It reminds me of the good old OTB tournament days.

If you haven't done an OTB tourney I highly recommend the experience.

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yeah of course.
About 15 years ago my family and extended family all pooled together to get me a nice wooden set for my birthday. It's probably the birthday present that has gotten the most use over the years.

I would always play a longer game on a real board, even if you're playing against a computer. It's just not really healthy to stare at a computer screen intensely for 2 hours. It's more fun to actually grab a real piece and shove it across the board too.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yup. I have at least three, all plastic. I remember my first chess set - one of those cheapy clear plastic ones (but in a pleasing - if non-traditional - blue and brown). I didn't even know how to play, but something about it fascinated me as a child (7-8?).

It was all downhill from there. :)

Someday I want to invest in a nice Staunton set. I've been holding off because I don't have anywhere to keep it set up. One day I also want to purchase one of those lawn sets, too. I've got a space picked out, but I just need to set aside the time to do some serious landscaping. :D

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Question 1
If two "average" players are playing off against one another to see who is the best player, how many games do you think would be needed? I'm not interested in 22 game marathons (11 as white and 11 black). But at the same time i think a single game as white and black is too short.

Would 4 games (2W+2B) be enough? If someone won 3-1 or even 2.5-1.5 would that be enough games to be able to say who is the better player? 6 games (3W+3B)? 8 (4W+4B)?

Question 2
I'm looking at buying a nice wooden chess set. I cant decide if i like the black verse white wooden pieces, or the dark brown verse cream coloured chess pieces. Which colours are more traditional, or do you prefer? Types of wood include ... combinations in Elegant Golden Rosewood and Maple, Rosewood and Maple and Ebony and Maple.

http://www.chessstore.com.au/index.php?cPath=5

I might even buy the round magnetic travel set from here ... since it might be more practical for travel, and needing a smaller area if i need to setup a position around home/outside.

http://www.chessstore.com.au/index.php?cPath=6

Lurker

Reaction score
Question 1
If two "average" players are playing off against one another to see who is the best player, how many games do you think would be needed? I'm not interested in 22 game marathons (11 as white and 11 black). But at the same time i think a single game as white and black is too short.

Would 4 games (2W+2B) be enough? If someone won 3-1 or even 2.5-1.5 would that be enough games to be able to say who is the better player? 6 games (3W+3B)? 8 (4W+4B)?
I would say at least 6 games.

Question 2
I'm looking at buying a nice wooden chess set. I cant decide if i like the black verse white wooden pieces, or the dark brown verse cream coloured chess pieces. Which colours are more traditional, or do you prefer? Types of wood include ... combinations in Elegant Golden Rosewood and Maple, Rosewood and Maple and Ebony and Maple.

http://www.chessstore.com.au/index.php?cPath=5

I might even buy the round magnetic travel set from here ... since it might be more practical for travel, and needing a smaller area if i need to setup a position around home/outside.

http://www.chessstore.com.au/index.php?cPath=6
I like a cream or off-white color with any dark color. I'm not fond of a bright white.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
That's a nice magnetic set, but I find the flat sets to be more practical:
I prefer the wooden megnetic travel set i found ... bugger "practical", i like to roll in style.

I'm trying to convince myself that if i buy a nice wooden set, i'll start to teach my 7 year old daughter to play.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Either / or I suspect. Never cared for blitz, myself. I don't want chess turning into an arcade game. :)

Did you see this?

‘Police! Step Away From the Chess Table’

“What is so harmful with chess?” asked Yacahudah Harrison, 49, a homeless man who said he and four other men were playing at the tables around lunchtime when three police cruisers drove into the park. “It’s a quiet game but it still disturbs the peace.”

Mr. Harrison, a white-bearded man with a personality reminiscent of Santa Claus, said he began playing chess in the park two years ago after a neighborhood resident who saw him playing in the 207th Street subway station invited him to come to the park to teach the game to children.
Maybe it's just me, but I think this had more to do with homeless men sitting in a child's playground than about some anti-chess crusade. "Mr. Harrison" might look like "Santa Claus" to the New Zork Times, but to parents he probably looks like trouble.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I cannot believe how many times my king has been forced to move, preventing me from castling, in this tournament. I normally try and castle pretty early. But in 2 or 3 games my king has been forced to move! I guess i've been 2 or 3 moves too late in realising how exposed my kings have become, because i havent even been able to put a blocking piece in place.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Just a spectator. Travelled 4 hours to make it from where we live. Family was happy to walk the main st and browse some shops. I "stumbled" upon the tournament in a well hidden hall. I was offered a game because of uneven numbers, but couldnt do it due to time. It was the day after christmas and we were in the city to visit my sister. I would have loved to have given it a go. I've got the program for all their tournaments in 2011 and might be able to line up dates to get a game.

street9 by kcpics73, on Flickr

Lurker

Reaction score
That brings back pleasant memories. I used to live in NYC and would play every year in the NY Open and some minor tournaments at the Marshall Chess Club. I would travel to Philadelphia every July 4th for the World Open as well. Lots of fun if you can make the time to do it! The problem here in Clearwater FL is there are none in the area - just a few rapid timed ones in Tampa, whereas I prefer at least 30/90.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I used to live in NYC and would play every year in the NY Open and some minor tournaments at the Marshall Chess Club.
I feel like this should have been declared prior to the start of the GameSquad Invitational.