volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
What about 3% per sale?
100 transactions / month at maybe $40 avg? that's $120 from that minor avg...
I agree. Put the entire financial onus on the dirtbag seller. Do not charge anything to the self-entitled buzzards looking to buy s**t dirt cheap, or possibly have it gifted to them.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
This is going south...can we move this to what was the Chit-Chat section. Please.
Just avoid it, go around it or ignore it if you don't like it. You complain more than most about threads in the general ASL section.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, money is speech. A doctrine not enumerated in our Constitution, nor legislated through the American Congress, but rather, enacted by seven Supreme Court Justices. It comes from the decision in Buckley v. Valeo in 1976, which was a lawsuit brought subsequent to Congress passing significant amendments to the Federal Campaign Act, even overriding President Ford's veto to do so. The FECA was further amended in 1979 as a response to First National Bank of Boston v. Bellotti. It's these two rulings that set the stage for Citizens United. From an abstract point of view, one could argue that spending money can be considered a form of speech in the same way that throwing a brick through a window would be considered free speech. Interestingly, one of the petitioners in Buckley v. Valeo was none other than the infamous Eugene McCarthy, a candidate for the Presidency, at the time.

I'm sorry, did you really want to get into this debate on free speech?

Jeff
Very impressive. Either you're a layer or very into that particular thing.
In either case you cherry picked and did not address the main point, that being:

so money isn't a contribution? What if I don't want to get into "conversations/arguments" [pissing contests/shit throwing fights] with any one? That makes me 'Less' valuable then the Troll who posts a 1000 times?

daniel

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree. Put the entire financial onus on the dirtbag seller. Do not charge anything to the self-entitled buzzards looking to buy s**t dirt cheap, or possibly have it gifted to them.
AS some one who sell ASL Kit I say, if its cheaper than eBay I don't have a issue with %3. I don't know what the financial difference is. But I need to consider the following also.
GS has a small part of the ASL buyer market, EBay has a much bigger demographic and henceforth more buyers. More buyers better final selling point (e.g. more money) and that's what I want from any sale I make; is for the, as you have so nicely phrased it, "self-entitled buzzard" to get what they want and I, again as you have so nicely phrased it, "dirtbag seller" get what I want.
BTW... Does your feeling of " Put the entire financial onus on the dirtbag seller." also extend to MMP and other TTP's (i.e. Dispatches from the Bunker) who also use this sight to announce (advertise) release of new produce or reprint of out of stock?
and does the, again as you have so nicely phrased it, "dirtbag seller" also apply to the ex-player who just want's to sell their kit?

volgaG68

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I apologize, my facetiousness was not as obvious as I'd hoped!

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Volga obviously doesnt sell on ebay.
usually the cost to the seller is about 15% afte fees....so yeah eat the 3%

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I apologize, my facetiousness was not as obvious as I'd hoped!
thank you
yes sarcasm does not transfer well to the written word easily if a person is not known well enough or go through a extended amount of verbiage to put it there. I kid you not.

daniel

volgaG68

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Volga obviously doesnt sell on ebay.
usually the cost to the seller is about 15% afte fees....so yeah eat the 3%
No, I don't. I don't seek to maximize my profits when selling ASL gear unless someone outright offers me a startling sum. I usually sell it for a "gamer's price" or charge the exorbitant fee of "free + shipping". My post was directed at cheapskates who want free access to what is often the best deals on ASL gear, and expect the seller to pay for any fees. If I sell a SW copy of AoO on here for $400, yes I would accept paying a nominal fee. If I'm selling it at a "gamer's price" of $150-200, no, you should be paying a fee to have access to that kind of deal. The kind of deals that rarely, if ever, come across eBay.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
No, I don't. I don't seek to maximize my profits when selling ASL gear unless someone outright offers me a startling sum. I usually sell it for a "gamer's price" or charge the exorbitant fee of "free + shipping". My post was directed at cheapskates who want free access to what is often the best deals on ASL gear, and expect the seller to pay for any fees. If I sell a SW copy of AoO on here for $400, yes I would accept paying a nominal fee. If I'm selling it at a "gamer's price" of $150-200, no, you should be paying a fee to have access to that kind of deal. The kind of deals that rarely, if ever, come across eBay.

Free access to prices that are a bit lower than ebay? SO what? It's always in the sellers court if he wants to sell. WHO CARES who is buying it? IT's not priceless artwork...
Having a deal accessible and you having to PAY access to that "deal" makes it less of a deal.

So, if I'm not a PAYING contributor on the site, I get NO DEALS?
You do realize that there is no limitation on posting games for sale in the OPEN discussion section right?
AND censoring that would definitely need someone paid to do it...to delete all of the posts. and Facebook sells stuff really fast btw in less than a day I'd say.
Just more elitism...that's all I see. Doesn't really surprise me. I think the GOLD badge is better....
I was wondering where the "schlepp" badges are....Oh yeah...they are inherently there.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just avoid it, go around it or ignore it if you don't like it. You complain more than most about threads in the general ASL section.
That's b/c people posted threads in sections where they shouldn't have...or post threads which don't have anything to do with ASL in the main section...,<cough Honza>. It's not hard to follow the very general rules and be considerate.

When I go down the beer isle at the supermarket I don't want to see shelves stocked with pickled herring...I am there for the beer.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
When I go down the beer isle at the supermarket I don't want to see shelves stocked with pickled herring...I am there for the beer.
I like pickled herring where ever it is found. Or Surströmming. Mmmm, Surströmming.

JR

Jeffhew

"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very impressive. Either you're a layer or very into that particular thing.
In either case you cherry picked and did not address the main point, that being:

so money isn't a contribution? What if I don't want to get into "conversations/arguments" [pissing contests/shit throwing fights] with any one? That makes me 'Less' valuable then the Troll who posts a 1000 times?

daniel
No, Dan, I didn't "cherry pick" anything. I merely addressed the only point I felt was worth addressing. Admittedly, and often to my detriment, I get a little irritated when people throw out pop culture aphorisms as unassailable fact, to defend a position. Hence my response to your "Money is Speech" comment. As for the rest of your post, I'm not going to be sucked into a hypothetical debate over something I never said in the first place.

Actually, if anyone is cherry picking, it's you, as evidenced by the fact that in your original response to my post, you quoted part of one sentence while eliminating the remainder of the paragraph which provided the context of my point, which, again, you seem to have missed. I never said that "money isn't a contribution." You made that inference. What I said was, and I'm paraphrasing here, I've seen other forums employ a similar strategy, and that it has the potential to create "the forum equivalent of class warfare." My post in no way addressed the relative contribution of a paid subscriber vs. a regular member.

Like you, I don't go around the forum looking for pissing contests and controversy, and as such, I see no need for it here. But you're a pretty smart guy, Dan. And truth be told, I think you knew exactly what I was getting at. In any case, I consider the matter closed and leave you with...

My Best Regards,
Jeff

PS. If any of this comes off as "pissy," please attribute it to severe nicotine deprivation after a 30 year habit. :D

Last edited:

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, Dan, .... And truth be told, I think you knew exactly what I was getting at. In any case, I consider the matter closed and leave you with...

My Best Regards,
Jeff

PS. If any of this comes off as "pissy," please attribute it to severe nicotine deprivation after a 30 year habit. :D
OK Jeff. my last post on this with you also. I did not know exactly what you were getting at and that is why I questioned you. I'm still not sure. But I still think that you feel that there are different (and hear I don't know how else to express my interpretation of your position) class's of membership and that it should all be free or every one should pay some fee.
By being a Gold Member the people who run this web sight have given me more access than you. If you are pissed by that then you should be pissed at them and not at me. it's a choice. One I made one way and you the other. Free enterprise, and let the market decide, ect.ect.ect.

daniel

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do not think the concept is for sellers to pay for the only access. That misses the point I was making earlier. The concept is it was free access for all at the old GS, here it is pay for everyone to access. Apples and oranges. I agree there is not a "middle " solution per se that I can see. Personally, I'd have gone a different route, making the file U/L - D/L a benefit of buying a sponsoring membership. Limit people to only 1 U/L or D/L per 24 hour period unless they are sponsoring members.

I got no qualms with paying to D/L multiple files - that is a lot of bandwidth. I got no problem with paying to U/L multiple files - that is a ton of HDD space and bandwidth. I got no problems with paying for ersatz email service vie "conversations" with attachment of files benefits.

But if you want a seller to pay for advertising space, you got to offer a decent spread of buyer exposure. Limit only those who sponsor membership, and you limit buyers. Therefore, you limit sellers willing to sponsor membership as well, why pay for a limited exposure?

Its all of one or all of the other, and if its all of the other, you cannot compare it to the vBulletin version of GS Forums, there is no basis for comparison.

Hope that helps a bit to explain my brain, Chris ;)

KRL, Jon H

Lawrence3106

average gamer
Reaction score
First name
Lawrence
Country
llUnited States
Some of the posts I used to see in the old ASL Marketplace were from forum members letting others know about decently priced oop items on ebay. I scored my copy of Yanks this way. The poster himself did not profit from the exchange of this information as it wasn't his item up for sale. He was just being a helpful community member at a time when Yanks was hard to find at a good price. Is this exchange of information now to be taxed by subscription fees or will these types of posts be tolerated outside of the Emporium?
For me I had asked a question of a poster on the sell market a couple of years ago and was contacted by some one locally (not the person posting) that had his kit for sale. Not being able to see info like that will hurt as you can't tell what was posted after the OP. I was going to put some items on the Emporium but am now not certain if I will subscribe to do that or not. Currently there are 2 ads posted that no one can see unless they are paid members, the only thing that you can see is the title of the post.

just my 2 cents (US) worth (2.5 cents in Canada due to the exchange rates).

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like pickled herring where ever it is found. Or Surströmming. Mmmm, Surströmming.

JR
I LOVE pickled herring, and smoked, and spiced..take your pick. My last was a nice parsley and paprika salted herring fillets. They were tasty, even without any sense of smell. :D

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For me I had asked a question of a poster on the sell market a couple of years ago and was contacted by some one locally (not the person posting) that had his kit for sale. Not being able to see info like that will hurt as you can't tell what was posted after the OP. I was going to put some items on the Emporium but am now not certain if I will subscribe to do that or not. Currently there are 2 ads posted that no one can see unless they are paid members, the only thing that you can see is the title of the post.

just my 2 cents (US) worth (2.5 cents in Canada due to the exchange rates).
this becomes the main issue when the title is something like "ASL Kit for Sale".....

now you sponsor membership to find out what that ASL Kit actually, is ... or not.

individual choice, really.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can this thread get closed or moved? It's beginning to smell like pickled herring and beer after they have been processed through the digestive tract of a 58 year old semi-sedentary game playing mammalian. There is a whole section for forum feedback, and this isn't it.