What's the deal with the Emporium?

Jeffhew

"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robin, the changes implemented affect Gamesquad in its entirety, not just the ASL portion of it. The front page lists total Gamesquad membership at 25,504. How many are "active" I have no idea. I think you've missed my point, but it really isn't worth arguing over as it wouldn't serve to change anything. It is what it is and it will be what it will be.
Nice to know you haven't set me on ignore yet, though. :D

All the Best,
Jeff

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
There would be no reason for me to put you on ignore.
Disagreeing in a civilised debate certainly would not lead me to put you on ignore.
The only people who are on my ignore list are trolls or obnoxious persons.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I have very little use for the Emporium. I suscribed as a way to provide support (and express gratitude) to the Gamesquad crew.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I have very little use for the Emporium. I suscribed as a way to provide support (and express gratitude) to the Gamesquad crew.
Likewise...
Thrice-wise. About once a year or two I will decide to sell something. More frequently, I will spot someone I admire (attitude, contributions, enthusiasm, etc.) looking for something in the Emporium and simply gift it to them. So, access to the Emporium only holds nominal value to me.

My immediate reason for subscription was to provide support and express gratitude in a way which I had neglected to do in my 4 years here on GS; as was so succinctly put by Mister T.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
From a sociological standpoint, however, it's easy to see where the system as currently implemented can lead to dysfunction amongst the participants. Even in this thread there are already subtle hints of it brewing.
What's brewing? What I see is people agreeing and disagreeing and stating an opinion. I don't see anyone saying "My badge makes me right!". I do see one person saying "Your badge makes me uncomfortable though.

On the off hand you haven't been paying attention, we don't need badges to be disagreeable around here. We piss and moan, cast vitriol, and generally treat each other with respect and disrespect, all before any badge system came into being. Badges aren't going to create, or even exacerbate IMO, the dysfunction around here. JMO, YMMV. -- jim

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don's reply to me was that he was still considering whether or not to make the downloads require becoming a supporting member, and he had no clue if he should allow uploads to be file size limited unless you are a supporting member. I am more than willing to contribute a silver membership if it allows me to upload files in excess of 1500k size ( the old GS software limit) - that would allow posting of many newsletter size files or things with lots of graphics intensity which eat up MB's rather quickly.

I still think there is a large issue with charging for access to buying items for sale, when the rest of the forums are open to posting , viewing, and participating without paying any cost. I got no problems for charging to sell, just like any want ad, you pay for the space. I got no issues on charging for UL/ DL limit increases, again , you pay for the file storage access. I got no problems of pay for increased mailbox PM size allowing both more msgs and attachments, again, you're just paying for the ersatz email service.

I think , however, one should be able to view the "for Sale" ads without charge - stimulates the hobby to keep it that way. ( and hits / views on the GS forums itself as well.)

KRL, Jon H

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does MMP and the TPPs financially help sponsor this site? I would hope so. It facilities discussions regarding their products and they utilize it to advertise and post updates about their products, tournament events, etc.

KevinR

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My model for this is TGP, one of the most successful forums on the Internet. I've never seen even a hint of a problem with the emporium/subscription setup there, which I have adapted for GS.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php

It's just not an issue.
On that TGP site, I can actually read posts (like the rules and items for sale) without even having an account.

On the other hand, here I can't read the rules as a generic member and the entire listing of threads in the Emporium is the two announcement threads. If I click on the Rules announcement, this is what I get:
Rules Thread said:
GameSquad - Error
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.
A non-paying member here cannot see the rules for buying/selling, cannot see the items that are offered for sale, and possibly cannot even see whether any items are offered for sale.

Permitting only paying members to post items for sale (or items wanted) is very reasonable. Permitting only paying members to buy items seems a bit much.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do many people buy and sell here? I've advertised once or twice (without success, IIRC), and bought two things over the years. I always though of it as really slow, not like eBay or even ConSimWorld, and hardly ever looked in on it. Of course, maybe non-ASL sales on other game folder's marketplaces are more active?

FMFCB

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llCanada
My model for this is TGP, one of the most successful forums on the Internet. I've never seen even a hint of a problem with the emporium/subscription setup there, which I have adapted for GS.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php

It's just not an issue.
The point of selling something is to reach as many people as possible. You can't do it if some can't see what you have to sell.
Dave

volgaG68

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
The point of selling something is to reach as many people as possible. You can't do it if some can't see what you have to sell.
Dave
Whose responsibility is that? Don's or yours? Should Saks Fifth Avenue be required to sell MMP products so more people can see them? That's the whole point of selling something, right? Please go in to Wal-Mart tomorrow and demand that they carry all ASL products. Please be sure to give the manager your logical reasoning as well as to why they should. Who should be required to pay for providing internet service to rural Mongolians so they can see what you have for sale here? Is the NY Times responsible for running a free ad for you to sell your house and 'reach as many people as possible', or is the responsibility on you to buy the ad space in the classifieds?

We are dealing with a private entity here, Don's property. If Don hadn't personally ponied up for all these years.....buyers and sellers would see nothing at all.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Rewarding subscribers isn't shocking, IMO.
If one wants to use a selling platform for free, there is BoardgameGeek, Ebay, etc. anyway.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whose responsibility is that? Don's or yours? Should Saks Fifth Avenue be required to sell MMP products so more people can see them? That's the whole point of selling something, right? Please go in to Wal-Mart tomorrow and demand that they carry all ASL products. Please be sure to give the manager your logical reasoning as well as to why they should. Who should be required to pay for providing internet service to rural Mongolians so they can see what you have for sale here? Is the NY Times responsible for running a free ad for you to sell your house and 'reach as many people as possible', or is the responsibility on you to buy the ad space in the classifieds?
I missed where Saks or Wal-Mart charged people a fee just to walk into the store to look. The NYT does charge you to buy the whole newspaper, but there's no specific charge for looking at the classifieds. I think it makes perfect sense to charge a fee to post sale items, but it doesn't make sense to charge people to view those posts. (And I don't think anyone here is disputing that the owner of the forum can do whatever he wants with charging people for it.)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Why think it as a fee or charging people?
GS costs money.
Some people want to support it, as it is not a public service.
They get some advantages for their support.
Those advantages are not a due : the Emporium could even not exist.
Turning things in a way that makes the Emporium a mandatory service due to anybody and considering financial support as a tax is a wrong way to analyse it.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I missed where Saks or Wal-Mart charged people a fee just to walk into the store to look. The NYT does charge you to buy the whole newspaper, but there's no specific charge for looking at the classifieds. I think it makes perfect sense to charge a fee to post sale items, but it doesn't make sense to charge people to view those posts. (And I don't think anyone here is disputing that the owner of the forum can do whatever he wants with charging people for it.)
I appreciate all the feedback, but I'm not going to be drawn into a debate over this. However, in the interest of clarity I will point out a few things and then leave it for the rest of you to discuss. Again, no one is "asking" anyone to do anything. It's merely an option being offered to those who want it.

First, Saks and Wal-Mart are retail stores. They make money from the sale of the item, so of course they let you browse for free. Apples and oranges. Ebay is a big classified system, but they actually get a piece of the sale. They charge 15% for the ad plus a minimum of 3% for the PayPal fees. So depending on the type of item, Ebay gets 18% of every listing! Too, PayPal takes a chunk of all of our subscription fees, so GS only gets a portion of it.

Second, 99% of the information is in the title of an ad. If everyone were allowed to view the classified ads for free and the site doesn't get a portion of the sale, then people will simply view for free and then use a PM to work a deal in private, effectively bypassing the whole emporium system.

TGP has had lots of problems with this and they can get pretty aggressive in banning people if they catch you doing an end-run. And so at one point they made it so you could view the ads, but until you paid for a subscription you couldn't email, PM, or otherwise contact the seller. On vBulletin-powered sites with an emporium, the usual practice is to block non-subscribers from viewing the name of the person who posted the ad. So you could see the ad, but you had no idea who was selling and no way to contact them without subscribing (Xenforo's system currently lacks that option).

If you don't limit it in some way, then there's no point to having a subscription fee at all as the vast majority of people will simply bypass the system. I know.

Look, guys, I can do away with the whole concept and plaster ads everywhere, like this, if you prefer. Yes? But that's a crappy option as it's a ton of additional work for me, and most of you will simply activate ad buster software anyway, so the income from that option would be minimal without getting draconian and intrusive. Those ads make the forums very slow and cause compatibility problems. I very much doubt the majority will go along with that.

And in response to some earlier questions, no, we get no support whatsoever from anywhere else. And the "22,000 members" figure includes every single account since the inception of the site, including all the spammers we ban daily. TGP has 140k members, with maybe 5,000 being active. Pretty typical for a forum. GS has perhaps 500-600 active members.

Even if the subscription system is well received, my expectation is that it won't even cover the monthly server, bandwidth, and software licenses. But I'm hopeful it will at least help a bit.

Last edited:

volgaG68

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Second, 99% of the information is in the title of an ad. If everyone were allowed to view the classified ads for free and the site doesn't get a portion of the sale, then people will simply view for free and then use a PM to work a deal in private, effectively bypassing the whole emporium system.
I only play ASL, I don't even know what TGP stands for, but the scenario you describe here is exactly the one I envisaged as well.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Look, guys, I can do away with the whole concept and plaster ads everywhere if you prefer. Yes? I very much doubt the majority will go along with that.
I'm totally fine with ads to support the forum. I'm a silver-level supporter at BGG and I don't turn off the ads even though that's supposed to be one of the benefits of paying to support the site.