What's Next?

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I guess CdG is a prerequisite. Is the original CdG OK or do I need the new one?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I guess CdG is a prerequisite. Is the original CdG OK or do I need the new one?
A prerequisite for what exactly?

As with most of the re-released core modules, the original is adequate for regular play, but you get a lot of extras getting the re-released versions.

In particular with CdG you get the Dinant HASL maps & rulz and some bridging counters.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
I’m also eagerly awaiting your next product Steve! Hoping it’s the armored train module??
William

Armored Trains
Counters done.
8 Scenarios designed.
One playtested.

Rules ??? There is the rub.
If too complex they will go the way of LCs and Caves... = Rarely used.
I have two (2) sets, one more complex than the other.
What I really need now is judges!
I could use some volunteers to read (not proof) and answer three questions...

1. Are the rules easily understandable?
  2. Would they be easy to use?
  3. Would trains in scenarios be fun (based on your judgement... not mine).
4. Optional question... would more RR overlays be needed (other than those of MMP) and what kind?

I can send both versions of the rules and a sample scenario to aid in judging.
Any volunteers?

Steve

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
TELL US MORE, STEVE!!!!!!
Arid mapboards,
about 20 tested scenarios by US and European designers
Scenarios run from 1918 to 1945 in multiple wars with multiple nationalities.
8 BEAUTIFUL maps
Arid rules Uses Desert rules plus some terrain specific rules

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
William

Armored Trains
Counters done.
8 Scenarios designed.
One playtested.

Rules ??? There is the rub.
If too complex they will go the way of LCs and Caves... = Rarely used.
I have two (2) sets, one more complex than the other.
What I really need now is judges!
I could use some volunteers to read (not proof) and answer three questions...

1. Are the rules easily understandable?
  2. Would they be easy to use?
  3. Would trains in scenarios be fun (based on your judgement... not mine).
4. Optional question... would more RR overlays be needed (other than those of MMP) and what kind?

I can send both versions of the rules and a sample scenario to aid in judging.
Any volunteers?

Steve
Sign me up Steve! Happy to read through both sets of rules and provide feedback/answers to your questions. You have my email.
V/R Bill

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
8 BEAUTIFUL maps
I bet they're geoboards, done in a style that's similar to the official DTO boards but offer a whole bunch more interesting terrain, like hills (with hillside village overlay!), dry river beds, actual DTO village, even an ETO-to-DTO transition board! Wow!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
If counters and rules for armored trains are published, then it is the golden opportunity to publish some more RR overlays as well. Some proposals:
  1. RR bridges: Having a current RR overlays cross a river just looks stupid - like a dam blocking the river.
  2. Small station: What always irked my with RR's in ASL is that what is supposed to be stations looks like a building with a RR track running along it. No platform. No water tower, only a single depicted track. I am not advocating new terrain types here, but rather some artwork which actually gives the impression of a station.
  3. RR crossings: Mostly an aestethic issue. It has also always irked me that roads end 'in the green', then comes the RR track, green grass again before the road continues. Meh.
  4. RR switches: Some small overlays of this sort would allow for appealing 'connections' of various RR tracks.
  5. RR Tunnel entries: Where would you ambush / bomb a train? A Tunnel might do just fine. they could be designed to match with a hillside, showing the portal of the Tunnel and the track disappearing / emerging from it. This might also create options for totally new tactical situations: Moving beneath a hill. Maybe not only with trains bus also with AFV.
Further ideas:

On stations:
With a bit of thinking, the overlays could be created in a form of a 'station kit', i.e. that allows two (or more) small station overlays to be combined into one big station. Optimally designed in a way that allows them not only to be placed next to each other but also at an angle for more combinations.

On RR tracks:
If you really want to be innovative, why not grab the opportunity to create some transparent RR track overlays? I.e. use printed transparency sheets which are optimally a bit matte as to eliminate possible glare. With this you could cut nicely cut through woods, grain, etc. printed on existing boards.
You might also think about creating RR tracks in other lengths as the ones currently available. Or maybe even better yet, provide some so that, say, two lengths of 5 RR hexes can be combined to create any length of RR between 5 to 10 hexes by sliding / placing them atop each other.

Maybe these thoughts provide some inspiration for innovative thinking.

Cheers,
von Marwitz