Whats all this Civil War action about?

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi all,

I feel like dabbling into one of MMP's American Civil War games. Just wondering what people think I should get. My preferences are, in the following order:

1) Something with VASSAL support, and a group of people who actively play it online.

2) Lots of replayability, many strategies - a lot of depth to the rules, where it feels like it would take a long time to master the game.

3) Big campaigns! I like 'em big! Lots of map area! (And VASSAL players with the longevity to play through a long game with me, as well.)

4) A unique design aspect. i.e. I see that The Gamers' CWBS has Command and Control rules (kinda like TCS). Does the GCACW series have an interesting design aspect that sets it apart from other games?

Maybe I should add - if there's a better ACW series to buy that isn't from MMP, I'd also like to hear it.

I know that there are no GCACW games for sale by MMP at the moment, but I see that some online stores have a few for sale...

Thanks!

Keith Todd

Reaction score
CWB and CWR (RSS) are the best brigade and regimental ACW games, I know. GCACW is the best operational ACW game.

For live VASSAL online play, probably not much, but since they all PBEM very, very well, I would imagine there are a few. I have had at least one CWB PBEM game going for the last 4 years. And usually at least one GCACW PBEM game going. I have had the same opponents for the last 5 years so I am not aware of the amount of VASSAL players out there.

Now that TTS, AFS, and THG have VASSAL mods I hope to start a long streak of them also.

>>2) Lots of replayability, many strategies - a lot of depth to the rules, where it feels like it would take a long time to master the game.

I think they all do. Learning to write good orders is a quite a learning experience. The rules are not overladen with chrome but provide the essence of ACW combat.

>>3) Big campaigns! I like 'em big! Lots of map area! (And VASSAL players with the longevity to play through a long game with me, as well.)

All CWB and CWR(RSS) games have campaign games, some have taken me a year or more to complete with at least 3-4 mailings a week.

There are other ACW games such as the GBACW system by GMT, but they are not as PBEM friendly as the Gamers games. They are mainly chit-pull systems.

Keith

Last edited:

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
Bumping this thread cos I'm looking for an entry point into ACW gaming too.

I have various GMT tiles (3DoG, Red Badge of Courage; Glory II and III) and have just bought Grant Takes Command and BATC from The Gamers line. I haven't punched the GMT games yet, as I'm not sure that is where I want to start. I'm reading Brice Catton's book at the moment, and am probably leaning more towards the operation level portrayed by The Gamers games. Which of the two I have ordered would be the easiest entry into the system?

Cheers,
Neil

Keith Todd

Reaction score
Bumping this thread cos I'm looking for an entry point into ACW gaming too.

I have various GMT tiles (3DoG, Red Badge of Courage; Glory II and III) and have just bought Grant Takes Command and BATC from The Gamers line. I haven't punched the GMT games yet, as I'm not sure that is where I want to start. I'm reading Brice Catton's book at the moment, and am probably leaning more towards the operation level portrayed by The Gamers games. Which of the two I have ordered would be the easiest entry into the system?

Cheers,
Neil
Grant Takes Command and BATC are AH or MMP not Gamers, they are in the GCACW series which is excellent. I would recommend starting with BATC with the one turn scenario basic scenario. GTC is excellent also. But with BATC the rules are laid out better and the charts are grouped better.

Keith