Whatever happened to the Jim Stahler 3 volume rules analyses epic?

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The herd is still large, but its not growing. Except in the sense of older.
Hey, we're also growing in the sense that we're getting fatter! Average pounds/player is up 15% since the turn of the millennium.

"Small" victories, folks.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carl is a blast to play and you will always learn something about this great game when you do.

One of my best buds in the Hobby, Vic.
No way!

I've never met him or played against, so I know better.

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Hey, we're also growing in the sense that we're getting fatter! Average pounds/player is up 15% since the turn of the millennium.

"Small" victories, folks.
Come to think of it, this is the same issue as publishing an electronic rulebook.
Simple to publish electronic version NOW and make the rest available as completed.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would have some trepidation about writing such a thing. How to fill up that much space with something genuinely interesting and new?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would have some trepidation about writing such a thing. How to fill up that much space with something genuinely interesting and new?
Well, one thing for sure. Jim seriously loves His ASL.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The herd is still large, but its not growing. Except in the sense of older. ASL "creators" are all of the personality type "Ready, Aim, Aim, Aim..." but they are afraid to shoot. Get something published at only 80% perfect, but publish it 10 or 15 years SOONER. Crowd sourcing would do the other 20% much faster.
RSD finally gave himself away... Hello Ray Tapio.;)

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Well, one thing for sure. Jim seriously loves His ASL.
I played Jim back in the 90s at an Avaloncon and lost a tough game against him,
he was fun to play and hope to hear more from Jim, one of the pioneers of the
ASL scene, Vic.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
It has been 95% finished for some years now. It's all done; I just have to go back and edit the draft chapters. For some reason, I haven't been able to muster the energy. I really need to buckle down.
"It is harder to get men to mop up after a charge than to get them to charge."
- Lt. Robert W. Rideout, Brest, 1944

😁

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you need help from others to proof read I am sure many will volunteer (myself included)...
Thanks. It is still at the 95% stage. It's very frustrating to me that I have not been able to muster up the time and energy to complete it, but I have know this fact about myself for a long time: that I am a burst of energy guy, able to put sustained work into a project over a period of time, but once my energy for that project wanes, it becomes extremely hard to do what's left. That actually happened earlier with the strategy guide--I left it dormant for a year or so, then somehow another burst of energy came up and I did lots more work. But that third burst of energy has yet to emerge.

Some years ago I asked an ASLer whom I respected as a rules-knowledgeable and a good editor if he would go through the volume for me, offering to pay him for the not-miniscule task, but he turned me down.

Basically, I need to go back and rewrite one chapter, then edit and quality control/rules check the whole thing, then choose & describe locations for illustrations (partially, not completely done). Then I could submit it. But where is that energy? Possibly this is part of the overall burnout I've experienced with ASL over the past 5 years, too. I had actually hoped to find the time when the covid hit, but I didn't find time that first year, and this past year I have been beset by two different, but frustrating medical issues, one lasting from February through September and the other from October to the present. The first, especially, made something like working on the guide very difficult.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
If playing Carl, hope you have the dice on your side as Carl does not often beat himself.

Carl is awesome and look forward to doing some VASL with him soon, Vic.
Thanks. It is still at the 95% stage. It's very frustrating to me that I have not been able to muster up the time and energy to complete it, but I have know this fact about myself for a long time: that I am a burst of energy guy, able to put sustained work into a project over a period of time, but once my energy for that project wanes, it becomes extremely hard to do what's left. That actually happened earlier with the strategy guide--I left it dormant for a year or so, then somehow another burst of energy came up and I did lots more work. But that third burst of energy has yet to emerge.

Some years ago I asked an ASLer whom I respected as a rules-knowledgeable and a good editor if he would go through the volume for me, offering to pay him for the not-miniscule task, but he turned me down.

Basically, I need to go back and rewrite one chapter, then edit and quality control/rules check the whole thing, then choose & describe locations for illustrations (partially, not completely done). Then I could submit it. But where is that energy? Possibly this is part of the overall burnout I've experienced with ASL over the past 5 years, too. I had actually hoped to find the time when the covid hit, but I didn't find time that first year, and this past year I have been beset by two different, but frustrating medical issues, one lasting from February through September and the other from October to the present. The first, especially, made something like working on the guide very difficult.
Hope you recover your health soon and completely. All the best to you with your endeavors.