Whatever happened to the Jim Stahler 3 volume rules analyses epic?

jpellam

Kamikaze Landing Gear
Reaction score
Whatever happened to the Jim Stahler 3 volume rules analyses epic? I heard this was started a couple years ago but it has been a while since there has been any news about it.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can confirm that as of a couple of years ago at WO, it was still alive and kicking. I played a game with Jim and asked him this very question. He showed me a brief excerpt. Very much still being worked on by him.

vetsurg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Someone wrap Jim in bubble wrap until he gets this done! Send food and necessities so he can complete his magnum opus!

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This seems interesting. If I might ask, what does this analysis consist of? I.e. from what viewpoint is he analyzing the rules? Is it comparative vs other rules systems, or a study of the rules "within" the system to analyze the implications for game play of all those rules?

What's it all about, in other words? At any rate, I wish him luck with it.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I don't think it is merely a "rule analyses" work - it is a work on ASL in general. At least the chapters I've looked at.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It has been 95% finished for some years now. It's all done; I just have to go back and edit the draft chapters. For some reason, I haven't been able to muster the energy. I really need to buckle down.
Been there with my dissertation, so know how it is. I hope that it gets finished, as I would like to someday read it. Best of luck, sir.

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Complete waste. What a shame. Every year the number of people who care about the contents dwindles.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
I think with ASL, different rules apply. A 25+yo game system, that still draws 1400+ each on the current main preorders. "Build it and they will come."

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
I think with ASL, different rules apply. A 25+yo game system, that still draws 1400+ each on the current main preorders. "Build it and they will come."
The herd is still large, but its not growing. Except in the sense of older. ASL "creators" are all of the personality type "Ready, Aim, Aim, Aim..." but they are afraid to shoot. Get something published at only 80% perfect, but publish it 10 or 15 years SOONER. Crowd sourcing would do the other 20% much faster.