Whatcha think of this board?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
http://www.mindspring.com/~tqr/trmaps/TR9a_50pct.gif

I dug up an old sketch and for grins, threw it together. For those of you who aren't sure, that's a level -2 valley running along inside of the normal level -1 valley.

I like the wooded valley-orchard thing going on around F5; somehow that section just feels right. Roundabouts where I live, dry creek/riverbeds are prime ground for wooded terrain that basically follows the flow of the water.

The rest of it isn't really fleshed out, although I'm sure there's going to be some kind of village around T6. I just thought this was an interesting way of showing 5 levels of height on one mapboard. Throw a real hill board next door and you've got some serious elevation changes going on.

Shrug.

Tom

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks good Tom, as usual you are a creative genius. Slap this baby between boards 9 and 15 and you really have some highs and lows. Keep up the good work.

Klaus Fischer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Wooha! :p
Tom, I really like your board. It is one of these themes that we don't have yet in the mix.
However :D
-don't you think the A/GG board edges will create problems?
-the road net doesn't make sense yet
But I really like it, place a little village in the -1 Depretion (around T6) and you'll have some nice objectives to fight for, be it Ardennes, or France 1940 :lol:
When will we have the VASL version???????
Ciao
Klaus

Matt Romey

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
What if you widened the gully in the northwest portion (NW corner being A0). This would open up the ability to use the western half-board to have a hill assault from the northwest with a mondo climb up to the top. We could always use another hill to assault!

In the Easter half, someone on top of the Z8 hill might want someone to fight across the way. A building or two across the gorge could create some nifty little firefights across the gorge.

Sweet!

Klaus Fischer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I like thge board. A lot. Not sure about adding buildings in the gully. Nobody builds IN a gully...
Paul, it is only a valley/Depresion, not a Gully ;)
Just imagine, having a board 41(?) style French village in there...
But on the other hand, this could easily be accomplished with an Overlay, maybe with some narrow roads, a church w/Steeple, that could peek out of the depression...uh! so many possibilities... :)
That's what I like about board design..
Klaus

Petros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom,
I like it - cool board! Don't know why we haven't done one like it. Some comments:
- the whole board should be devoid of buildings I think. Good for PTO also that way.
- the whole valley area exits offboard - like a river. Limiting to one extent, but suggestive of adding other boards with similar sides
- if the valley was straightened somewhat, and if you added some ocean/beach overlays lengthwise, you could replicate a beach with gradual elevation increase (ie. Normandy)
- I'd run some gullies into the valley from above (Normandy draws)
*Two* boards like this, some overlays, and you could actually do a pretty good job with a substantial beach landing almost anywhere. You'd have 2-3 elevation change options - cool. Each side of valley - use different terrain types for variability. AP pack: 'Hit the Beach!'
Because of the great variability of terrain where ocean / lake / large body of water meets land - it may be best after all to stick with the Ocean and Beach overlays / used with regular geoboards, to create the various types of beaches you need. Your board here really could work in that way, plus of course as valleys.
Another twist: Create a -2 / -1 green long half board overlay to cover one side of the valley also (like an Ocean/Beach overlay) lengthwise. Now you have a very long ridge which I'm sure would be useful. Butt another normal geo board next to the board where the green overlay is and SSR both boards to to be same level at board intersection. Would be easy to visualize.