What your ASL dollars can buy.....

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
More than likely MMP charges a price they know us ASL addicts will pay that gives them a good profit to stay in business and so their employees can pay their mortgages.
They do deserve to make some profit but we deserve some quality in return.

When it comes to MMP and most TPPs that is the case.

You have so many options to purchase it really is up to you but availability is always a question mark after the initial printing.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I recently did one of these for @BattleSchool 's blog. It ran to a four part series (part one is here). Chris did an AMAZING job illustrating it to make it visually appealing. Only Chris can tell you the traffic count to the articles, but I know from looking at it, there is almost zero commentary on the piece. It is hard to invest this amount of time into an article with little to no feedback. It helps to know if it's hitting the mark or not.

<SNIP>

But honestly, I don't think as many people want this in a written format any more. Clearly Illuminating rounds by @daveramsey and Martin are doing this in a vlog format and are being quite successful. VASLing with Stew by @Stewart has a following and he is doing it interactively to some level of success as well. Perhaps Chris Doary will tell a different story based on traffic, but IMO, this is a lot of effort for very little lift in a written format. JMO, YMMV. -- jim
It's hard to judge want people want, or what they are interested in. Some portion of views are invariably click-bys. Moreover, I've watched almost every one of Dave and Martin's videos, and many of Stew's. But I don't believe I've ever commented publicly on their videos. This is not to say that they don't merit comment. (One could make a similar case for The 2 Half-Squads podcast.) For example, I and a close friend found the videos Stew made based on David Hailey's Article "The Geometry of ASL" extremely valuable.

As posts go, those featuring Jim and Andy's playing of BoF16 Saluting a General have done quite well. Part 2, which is where the AAR proper begins, has had more than 3000 views since it was published on 1 February of this year. It compares favourably with my feature on Bill Cirillo's Festung Budapest. A helluva a lot more work went into Gallant Galántay than the four-part BoF16 AAR, perhaps as much as 250-300 hours. And yet since I posted the Budapest feature in March 2021 it has been viewed less than 9000 times. At the same time, a rather mundane post about precision dice has garnered over 20,000 views.

Let's face it. ASL is a niche game within a niche boardgame hobby. Expecting its adherents to produce literary and cinematic masterpieces for the masses is unrealistic. What is remarkable is the disproportionate amount of unpaid work done in support of such a small fan base. That, IMO, is a reflection of the richness of The Game. It's also testament to the dedication of many individuals who, for almost four decades, have done their bit to keep ASL alive and kickin'.

Last edited:

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
That is also a problem with playtesting. Someone has spent hours of his time crafting something and getting excited about how good it is. They then get it playtested and people go meh - needs work. Have you thought of this? Or worse the group tries to think of something positive to say to ease the criticism and nobody can think of anything.

I'll never be a tourney director, never design a scenario and am thinking of avoiding playtesting....................
Without playtesting our products would be of dubious quality.

I decided long ago to sacrifice half of my playing time for playtesting to be sure what we publish has a chance at being both Fun and Balanced.

Sometimes you do great, sometimes not as much.

But at least you have to try and maybe make something others can enjoy...

At least hit the mark more often than not.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
It's hard to judge want people want, or what they are interested in. Some portion of views are invariably click-bys. Moreover, I've watched almost every one of Dave and Martin's videos, and many of Stew's. But I don't believe I've ever commented publicly on their videos. This is not to say that they don't merit comment. (One could make a similar case for The 2 Half-Squads podcast.) For example, I and a close friend found the videos Stew made based on David Hailey's Article "The Geometry of ASL" extremely valuable.
Dave and Martin's posting of new videos usually generates some traffic here on GS. That's all I can judge on. -- jim

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Dave and Martin's posting of new videos usually generates some traffic here on GS. That's all I can judge on. -- jim
I have yet to sit through one of their videos, yet I have no trouble spending 30 minutes reading an illustrated AAR. Different people like different things.

Regarding giving feedback, I will always click a LIKE button if there is one, assuming I don't hate the content. Leaving comments is usually non-trivial and feels not worth the effort.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Writing articles is definitely non-trivial. Increasingly it seems, viewed by many as not worth the effort. -- jim
I get more enjoyment from the effort of writing an AAR than I do from the effort of leaving a comment, especially a comment like "Nice article". I forgot to mention that I will sign up to follow someone who writes articles or AARs. That is worth the effort.

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
What ASL can we buy? Interesting thoughts. I wonder . Is Covid and restricted access to face to face opponents influencing our willingness to buy new stuff?
I think it is having an impact on me. VASL is not the same as pushing my cardboard.
Yet not having to travel a couple of hours is one benefit. Being a vulnerable auld person creates caution too. But face to face is best. Can’t see your opponents grimace or fiendish 😄

But many times I wish I lived near a store that stocked ASL. But I recognise that would probably be expensive 😬😅. Mail order is my usual method. Its not as exciting as the feeding frenzy of tournament attendance or seeing something on a shelf. 😄👍

Not having ASL in regular game stores is bound to limit new players I think.

Enough rambling
Cheers gentlemen

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
the ASL 89 Annual had an original cover MSRP of $10.00 USD. for this, you got the IIFT, the magazine, and the scenarios, in all 64 pages of ASL in a magazine published by then TAHGC.

Converted to match the inflation rate since 1989, this equates to $21.71 USD in June of 2021.

ASL Journal #12 was published by MMP with 40 pages of ASL material in a magazine and an MSRP of #29.00 USD in 2017, (This is equivalent to a little over $31.00 USD in June of 2021), and with a roughly equivalent number of scenarios therein (15 in 89 Annual, 12 in Journal 12). Journal 12 offered nothing as game-altering as the IIFT. Both magazines dedicated approximately 25% of their available space to advertising upcoming ASL products.

Granted Journal 12 was a huge downsizing from previous Journals in total content and in page count, not to mention scenario counts.

This made me ponder two questions:

1. Are the expanding TPP publications in effect "soaking off" the available amount of decent quality ASL material, analysis, and scenario designs, from MMP's product designed specifically to support ASL? (and if so, is that a good or a bad general trend for the hobby as a whole?)

2. Is MMP expanding their available publishing, coordination, and capital towards pushing more substantial products (such as full modules for ASL), out the door, limiting their ability to continue the generally very good trend we have seen in the ASL Journal for content? (And if so, is that a generally good or bad trend for the hobby as a whole?)

What does the rest of the ASL game-speaking world think? The comparison at the beginning shows that ASL was seeing, for a roughly $10.00 USD less expensive price, a much larger content than Journal 12 offered. (in relative values adjusted for inflation.)

I think paying 10 bucks for the IIFT is a total rip-off. :)

More seriously, in terms of analytical content (articles etc..) there are clearly diminishing returns, as there is a huge amount of stuff already written about ASL explaining tactics, rules, sleazes, etc... Sure there must be more to be said, but the lemon is harder and harder to squeeze thanks to the rock solid stability of the rules.

A significant stream of products that was not available back in the nineties is the scenario packs. MMP clearly has taken the route to push out scenarios and boards. This is a great development in my view, as is the "simpler" task of putting out reprints of core modules plus the welcome extra products such as HASLs.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Giving hard feedback is challenging but not impossible. Ever had a boss pull you aside and say "hey, that wasn't so good" or "we need to see improvement"? Ever had to do that yourself? It's possible to tell people there needs to be change without stripping the person of their dignity. Unless you simply want them to stop or fire them, you need to find a way to be constructive in your criticism.

Good playtesters are worth their weight in scenario cards. Abuse them at your peril. If you're a playtester, good designers are generally grown, not born. Giving good, constructive feedback is your chance to shape their thinking in this and future endeavors. Good designers are worth 10 times their weight in scenario cards.

As always, JMO. YMMV. -- jim
A playtester should be honest in their assessments and comments without being brutal. There is no need to bash the designer's creation but not being forthright does the designer no good also.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Writing articles is definitely non-trivial. Increasingly it seems, viewed by many as not worth the effort. -- jim
To be done competently and in a worthwhile manner requires a fair amount of work. As you noted upthread there is little reward for writing an article which can be discouraging. By reward I am not talking about money but recognition and perhaps a tiny bit of praise. Nobody expects the Pulitzer Prize for Literature but It can be very uplifting when you get recognition from your peers.

I was thrilled to do the Series Replay and we heard from Rex via Mark that it was well received. That was about all we heard but it was quite satisfying. Some years back though I received the finest compliment about the Replay, one I'm sure anyone who has written an article would cherish.

It was on the forum. I can't recall the thread but the Replay had come up. One fine gentleman whose name I, as usual, cannot remember, conveyed this story.

He was a gamer but did not play ASL. While attending his daughter's basketball game he took along a copy of The General. It had the Guryev's Headquarters Replay in it. He read the Replay and he thought that the game looked great. As a result of reading it he started playing ASL! I was honored that our effort inspired him to begin the ASL journey. I can honestly think of no greater compliment than that.🤗

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I would hope that one reason people aren't writing articles is because they are too busy playing! If it was a choice between having someone write an article or instead take that time and play a bunch of scenarios I am in the playing camp.😉

Fish answered a question about why In Contact folded after only two issues with a straightforward and absolutely honest answer. He said we'd rather play than publish. There you are.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps publishers should expand what they are looking for in material. The contests mentioned in the what if thread are a great example, I always enjoyed those. An ASL crossword puzzle is something that I always thought would be cool. An ASL cartoon!

Ok the thing that guesses what word I am pecking came up with this when I typed ASL, Regatta. I've been enamored with the idea of an ASL Regatta for decades but in the present context this would be an example of the different ways to have fun with ASL.

Articles dont always have to be AARs, in depth analysis of a rules section or similar things. Rout Report proved that IMHO. I always looked forward to it's arrival. The gist of this is that the game is changing. Not only how it is played but how information about it is disseminated and assimilated.

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is also a problem with playtesting. Someone has spent hours of his time crafting something and getting excited about how good it is. They then get it playtested and people go meh - needs work. Have you thought of this? Or worse the group tries to think of something positive to say to ease the criticism and nobody can think of anything.

I'll never be a tourny director, never design a scenario and am thinking of avoiding playtesting....................
I am glad not everyone feels that way, otherwise there would be no ASL tournaments or scenarios to play and no articles to read.

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the ASL 89 Annual had an original cover MSRP of $10.00 USD. for this, you got the IIFT, the magazine, and the scenarios, in all 64 pages of ASL in a magazine published by then TAHGC.

Converted to match the inflation rate since 1989, this equates to $21.71 USD in June of 2021.

ASL Journal #12 was published by MMP with 40 pages of ASL material in a magazine and an MSRP of #29.00 USD in 2017, (This is equivalent to a little over $31.00 USD in June of 2021), and with a roughly equivalent number of scenarios therein (15 in 89 Annual, 12 in Journal 12). Journal 12 offered nothing as game-altering as the IIFT. Both magazines dedicated approximately 25% of their available space to advertising upcoming ASL products.

Granted Journal 12 was a huge downsizing from previous Journals in total content and in page count, not to mention scenario counts.

This made me ponder two questions:

1. Are the expanding TPP publications in effect "soaking off" the available amount of decent quality ASL material, analysis, and scenario designs, from MMP's product designed specifically to support ASL? (and if so, is that a good or a bad general trend for the hobby as a whole?)

2. Is MMP expanding their available publishing, coordination, and capital towards pushing more substantial products (such as full modules for ASL), out the door, limiting their ability to continue the generally very good trend we have seen in the ASL Journal for content? (And if so, is that a generally good or bad trend for the hobby as a whole?)

What does the rest of the ASL game-speaking world think? The comparison at the beginning shows that ASL was seeing, for a roughly $10.00 USD less expensive price, a much larger content than Journal 12 offered. (in relative values adjusted for inflation.)
I’ll have a go at answering your first question.
#1. Yes and no. The independent publishers are in a way developing products that could be submitted to MMP. However, there are many reasons that they do not submit them. My main reason for self publishing is that I want to decide, what, how and when my scenarios are published. I also want them to reach the gaming community in a timely manner and not wait in limbo for years. Since 1993, I have personally designed hundreds of scenarios. No other producer of ASL related material could have or would have published all of the scenarios and compensated us for the work that went into what the Tampa Group has designed. That probably applies to most of the other groups of prolific scenario designers as well. This has done much more good for the hobby than bad. Without independent publishers there would be no MMP because they themselves were initially just that. There would be a lot fewer HASL modules and there would be a few thousand fewer scenarios for players to enjoy.

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Without playtesting our products would be of dubious quality.

I decided long ago to sacrifice half of my playing time for playtesting to be sure what we publish has a chance at being both Fun and Balanced.

Sometimes you do great, sometimes not as much.

But at least you have to try and maybe make something others can enjoy...

At least hit the mark more often than not.
Vic,
You must be playing a lot more ASL than me. Over 90% of my gaming time is dedicated to playtesting.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Vic,
You must be playing a lot more ASL than me. Over 90% of my gaming time is dedicated to playtesting.
I do a fair amount of VASL Evan so can play multiple times in a week.

Playtesting ALL the time makes you stale after awhile and resentful when you see all these new products come in and you don't think you have the time to play any of them. So I set out long ago to have something other than playtesting on VASL or one of my 2 gaming tables to play to get away from the playtest. Having a network of playtesters to help (you know who you are) helps Big-time.

Try a little balance, even if it seems 2/3 playtesting to 1/3 of free ASL time is a good enough ratio, I did and am much better off for it.

It sure helps that I am retired now, when I was still working a few years ago, playtesting was closer to 3/4 of my playtime.

In any event, playtesting is absolutely essential, we almost never publish a scenario 100% exactly as it was submitted, at least a tweak or 2 is often needed. Getting more feedback and opinions on a scenario is also essential and just don't test it amongst the locals. Just try to do the best you can and hope it works out, that's all we can do. Looking forward to Dispatch #75 down the line as I work on #52 this Summer. A labor of love for sure as I know Schwherpunkt has been for you.

Take care and Roll Low, ASL, the hobby that keeps on giving, Vic.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Vic,
Your dedication to playtesting is valuable and necessary but Vic has an important point. Try to just play for fun a bit more. You deserve it. Thanks for all you and other publishers do for the game.🤗

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To the point about difficulty getting article submissions, I have have both said and heard the phrase, "I am not sure what could be written about ASL that has not already been written about." A bunch of Annuals, 12 Journals, TPP magazines, fanzines like Pete's VFTT, plus thousands of AAR/tactics/rules threads on GameSquad (GS) and other forums. At some point you run into a lack of new things to talk about. For example: AFV tactics (Carl N's great "Crosstown Traffic" article), Banzai procedures (tip of the hat to Jim B), IFT/IIFT, VBM freeze, lavender SS counters, CH playtesting, American ML to low, various rules discussions, etc. It's almost all been covered. I think that is one of the main reasons that new ASL content on GS has been increasingly sparse over the past couple years. I visit GS very regularly, and often see little substantive additions to the content by the community. I do think to a large extent, most ASL topics are well-covered. JMO.

Last edited: