What would you Pay ?

What would you pay for a giant sized Historical Module ?

• $80 - $100

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • $100-$120

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • $120-$150

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Money Grows on Trees $80-$150

Votes: 15 30.0%

• Total voters

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What would you pay for an expensive Historical Module ? I was thinking about creating a Historical module of an entire island in the Pacific. This would amount to about 10-12 historical sized maps and alot of extra counters. So what would you pay ?

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
For a full island battle, I'd pay the cost. Granted I'm not a huge fan of the Tarawa-type amphib but its a challenging situation. Perhaps later in the war when the Japanese stopped opposing the actual landings.

What are you thinking,...Makin, Pelelu (sp?), Iwo Jima? Maybe Wake in Dec 1941?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Matt Book said:
What would you pay for an expensive Historical Module ? I was thinking about creating a Historical module of an entire island in the Pacific. This would amount to about 10-12 historical sized maps and alot of extra counters. So what would you pay ?
Like maybe all of Stalingrad with multiple CG for the various operations to take the city? Or more than just the center of Budapest in '45? A bigger chunk of Berlin other than the Reichstag/government district?

You betcha'

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Purist said:
For a full island battle, I'd pay the cost. Granted I'm not a huge fan of the Tarawa-type amphib but its a challenging situation. Perhaps later in the war when the Japanese stopped opposing the actual landings.

What are you thinking,...Makin, Pelelu (sp?), Iwo Jima? Maybe Wake in Dec 1941?
Actually it's just an idea I had, I have to find a complete map for an island first. I was thinking multiple options from using allocated forces where by you could decide if you want to defend the beach or lay in wait. Maybe let the Marines choose which beach they were to use. This makes for alot of variations which I think gives good playability. I think the playtesting would be a lifelong endeavor

da priest

Reaction score
Interesting poll Matt, who ya working with on the new module.:D

Oh, just a head's up, the Syops like ya to list your real name in your profile.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
da priest said:
Interesting poll Matt, who ya working with on the new module.:D

Oh, just a head's up, the Syops like ya to list your real name in your profile.
That is my real name. Not workin with anyone, just throwin ideas around to see what everyone thinks...

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Matt,

Assuming each map you discuss is around 30x30 hexes, by printing 10-12 of them x substantial amount, you dont really have any accurate poll prices listed unless you have a nice savings account you want to give away.

Chas

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
chas said:
Matt,

Assuming each map you discuss is around 30x30 hexes, by printing 10-12 of them x substantial amount, you dont really have any accurate poll prices listed unless you have a nice savings account you want to give away.

Chas
That much ? So how much does it cost to print a map ?

paulkenny

Reaction score
I think it is a bad idea.

Who has the area to play a game the size of 10 to 12 maps?

How does one physically play in that area?

How does one balance a game of that size?

that being said War Obe or some such developer does do these monster games. I am not sure of their popularity but are certainly limited to isolated gaming events where there are multiple players on each side. Not sure if that is worth the effort to produce.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Matt,

Sent you a PM.

Chas

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would think that HOB's Kampfruppen Commander system would be better way to do something like this. It would limit the maps and counters used at one time but at the same time portray the island battle as a whole.

Otherwise I would have no interest in this HASL due to space limits for one. Kenny mentions some good reasons also.

Keith

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
sgtono said:
I would think that HOB's Kampfruppen Commander system would be better way to do something like this. It would limit the maps and counters used at one time but at the same time portray the island battle as a whole.

Otherwise I would have no interest in this HASL due to space limits for one. Kenny mentions some good reasons also.

Keith
I think huge Campaign games would be space consuming, but scenarios or campaigns that use some of the maps would do well with all. I still think there fanatics out there wgo would go full blown, they would make space. Guess it would suck on VASL...lol

jasperdog3329

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Interesting concept.

I like the idea of a large number of maps but only a select number coming into play at any one time based on the CG date and the defender's tactics. My wife wouldn't let me take over the basement office with an 8 x 8 playing field, my dog would probably walk over it, and I don't have Inspector Gadget arms to reach into the middle.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The concept of only a portion of the map being used falls perfectly in line with the concept of Kampfgruppen Commander.

There is the large operational map, and the attacking player attacks into a certain section. Or can shift and attack in another area and so on.
Thus the scenarios themselves are normal size in units and map area. And there is still the fog of war. KGC uses a core force concept, but allows players to obtain auxillary forces for missions.

I think this type of Island thing fits that concept well.

Chas

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
woo, i'd love to see Kampfgruppen Commander do an island! with a whole bunch of new historic maps.

that would be a HIT!

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well considering I call KGP a "very large" Historical module already, and considering I have already pretty much seen all the banter vis a vis cost to make maps from many opinions, I think I will just pass on this notion as being sort of a "what would I do with a million dollars?" kind of question :)

Really, I am sure there might be a "few" guys that could even set the thing up as described, but I would rather play a game as decribed with a game like Panzer Leader instead.

I just don't get off moving around several hundreds of squads and a good few hundred non squad counters, plus quite a large sum of vehicles somehow I suppose.

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
I have to agree with Aries here. Plus this idea is still fairly half-baked. :) You need to define your idea a little more clearly for us to have any meaningful decision making process.

I have only briefly looked at the KC stuff, but there is not enough info for me to look at it critically as well. I would be interesed in the playtest of it, but it would have to be VASSAL compatible for me to really do anything other than just read it over for issues.

Klaus Fischer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
WaterRabbit said:
I have to agree with Aries here. Plus this idea is still fairly half-baked. :) You need to define your idea a little more clearly for us to have any meaningful decision making process.

I have only briefly looked at the KC stuff, but there is not enough info for me to look at it critically as well. I would be interesed in the playtest of it, but it would have to be VASSAL compatible for me to really do anything other than just read it over for issues.
Jeff,
if you have a VASL gaming partner, we can talk :D
With the latest results from the playtesting during the Grenadier tourney, we were able to do some more refinement, deleting some chrome, streamlining the in-between phases.....Darwin at it's best ;)
Ciao

Klaus

Klaus Fischer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Jay White said:
woo, i'd love to see Kampfgruppen Commander do an island! with a whole bunch of new historic maps.

that would be a HIT!
Yeah!
I'd like to see an Island Hopping campaign for KC! :D
Any designers out there?

Klaus

macca

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
What level of interest is there for a non-island PTO module for KC - say Aussies v Japanese in New Guinea?