What would make VASSAL more user friendly for pbem games?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Actually, the best way to make a clean whole game (for a demo, for instance) would probably be to load VASSAL twice. Use one instance to watch all the logs, and the second instance to record the moves. So like a film editor, you would keep the interesting bits, and throw out the bad cuts.

It is a bit labor intensive but any game where one play can inject actions during another player's turn *usually* does not lend itself to wholesale splicing of the logs together.

What would really float my boat is if VASSAL could take screenshots and stack them together for you into an animated gif-like object. So you would step through your logs and click off what would later become your frames. Then you can truly watch your game unfold. =)

danstudentvcc

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Animation ...

zgrose said:
... What would really float my boat is if VASSAL could take screenshots and stack them together for you into an animated gif-like object. So you would step through your logs and click off what would later become your frames. Then you can truly watch your game unfold. =)
Hello. A shortcut thru this would be to use freeware. Freeware can be obtained from tucows or zdnet. For instance I have a program that convert entire batches of images to gif after they were made in a different format. Another program then makes each of the layers part of an animation with easy to use option settings for length of time to show an image.

My last and best freeware program takes images of a game window or animation sequence from a game. Since it's activation button can be set you can set it up to take a screen shot of the VASL window each time you hit the arrow or not while watching a log.

Since you control which images are used for your animation [including zooming in or cropping] you can achieve in mere minutes 1 or more images per VASL action; even then joining your moves animation with your opps to form a complete game animated movie complete with music!

Gus

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do you have a link to this (these) programs Gus?