What would be a cool way for me to spend some money on ASL?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, let's say I have some disposable income (sale of black market babies, whatever) and want to spend some money on ASL. I already have all ASL products (or close enough for government work), so what else could I do? What could I have made, or purchase, or find, or whatever, that would somehow enhance my ASL collection, make it cooler or easier to play ASL, would awe people at ASL events, or in some other way would let me spend time and money in pursuit of the black hole that is ASL?

Serious answers only, please; I am honestly looking for suggestions. "Tattoo portrait of John Hill on butt" is not what I am looking for. :)

tekay44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about having your maps enlarged. I have a very tough time with the stacks on the regular maps.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A good suggestion! Alas, I personally do not like enlarged maps.

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just did a major upgrade on many of the small details. New plexi in about 5 sizes, new dry erase pens, upgraded the lighting in the swinging ASL luxury pad, replaced the last few big Planos with 3701s and ordered another bucket of Tombo ASL "colored" felt tipped watercolors. It's all about the infrastructure baby. I am damned near complete in regards to modules/components but it seems there are always ways to upgrade the experience.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Well after you enlarge them just reduce them to regular size :D

What about spending some of that cash to put out your scenario packs yourself?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Okay, let's say I have some disposable income (sale of black market babies, whatever) and want to spend some money on ASL. I already have all ASL products (or close enough for government work), so what else could I do? What could I have made, or purchase, or find, or whatever, that would somehow enhance my ASL collection, make it cooler or easier to play ASL, would awe people at ASL events, or in some other way would let me spend time and money in pursuit of the black hole that is ASL?

Serious answers only, please; I am honestly looking for suggestions. "Tattoo portrait of John Hill on butt" is not what I am looking for. :)
Not sure how much cash you're talkin, but what I've always dreamed about is a table....one optimized for ASL play/storage.

Check out Sam Belcher's offering at http://dicetower.com/ASL/ASL_Misc/GameTable.htm

Only change I would make is to raise it to approximately barstool sittable height. That would allow folks to sit, stand, perch...etc...in general change positions during long games. It should also be easy enough to put shelves below the table to hold counters, charts, etc....

I assume that would be pretty pricey, but one can dream, no?

Jazz

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Jazz. A custom table would be an excellent addition to my gaming 'stuff'.

Ideally, it would handle the big maps and provide some medium for storage of counters. I never wanted a book sleeve, but others might want that. I also like Sam's table that he linked to above. Map storage is a problem sometimes as well, but that table handles it elegantly.

Good lighting is a big plus.

I wanted to do a gaming room with a table set near the wall, but with a half-closet type storage area that would mate up with the table's height. In that storage area would go my most used gaming stuff. Perhaps a smaller storage area underneath for stuff you don't really use that much.

You need custom doors on the storage area so you don't disturb games in progress. Ideally something that opens and then slides away. That way you can have it open during games, but the door won't get in the way.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've thought about a game table, but actually, I'm not too picky about tables, and the ones I have seem to be fine for me.

I am thinking about putting some better lighting in my game room, so that's a possibility.

I wouldn't mind a better way to store my laminated HASL maps, but I don't know that horizontal storage would be the most space efficient.

asler

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind a better way to store my laminated HASL maps, but I don't know that horizontal storage would be the most space efficient.
I simply roll them up and put them in a mailing tube. Since I always put plexi over the map when I use it the curve doesn't matter and since I don't fold them I don't worry about creases in the lamination. The map cannister takes very little space - much less then storing them flat.

BTW, are you planning another Columbus weekend at your place anytime soon. It would be a bit of a drive, but I'd like to make it down there some time.

Chris

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have the size of the counters reduced. :clown:

Sorry, only serious answers. I couldn't help myself. :nuts:

I always wanted to make a school-type ASL Jacket which would be orange(of course) with black sleeves and a black line around the waist morphing into the ASL Corral; possibly by the front pocket. Other accoutraments can be added as necessary. :smoke:

Also or alternatively, you could have the SL-GI composite Medal made. :cool:

Would you be interested in buying an SL/ASL challenge coin for $12? ;)

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I've thought about a game table, but actually, I'm not too picky about tables, and the ones I have seem to be fine for me.

I am thinking about putting some better lighting in my game room, so that's a possibility.

I guess I've just run into problems putting out large maps on run-of-the-mill tables (RB in particular). One variation on that theme is some system for being able to put up and keep large games set up while actually being able to play something else. Probably only an issue if you play a lot of CGs.

Lighting would be good. I still haven't come up with a glare free option.

I use a large artist's folio (zipper around the edge) for laminated HASL maps. I'd think that finding someplace to keep them flat would be troublesome? I agree, it is easier to find vertical space to slide the folio than horizontal space to lay the maps flat.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will be having an ASL game day on the third Saturday of March. Probably make the official announcement tomorrow. You are welcome to come!

I don't do plexi, so rolling up maps is anathema to me. Plus, a mailing tube isn't a cool way for me to spend money. :)

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
If you had a custom table built, you could make the top come up on a hinge and store your maps flat in an compartment under the table. Alternatively, you could make a "pocket" wide enough and deep enough to store them on end if you could figure out a way to keep them from curling up. That way your cool table would serve two purposes. -- jim

tmanmerlin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
suggestion for what mark can do with his money :)

How about a vanity press project with another gamer or two? :devious:

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hope you find something good and can share it. I just slide my maps behind the book case.....hardly elegant, but it works.

For the GEO boards, I put them in a slipcase/briefcase kind of thing. For 129% and half maps, B4 size here in Japan seems to hold them fairly well with about an inch of free space. If I were to travel with them, I would tuck a tee shirt or something in there to keep them from moving excessively, but a little room makes it easier to get them in/out.

Last edited:

MadDog_CDN

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That table by Sam is nice.

The only thing I would do different is make the cover of the table removable, add a storage unit, for plano type cases, under it. I would also place a players aid on each side, to like the card in the manual to track ELR, SAN and such, but, it would be made of wood and have a peg type tracker for each. Oh, and put wheels on the table.

Lighting is a good investment, get overhead lighting with a dimmer switch, that way you can find the right light level for yourself. Try and get soft light bulbs to cut down the glare.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL the Movie

Typical Pitman thread...the responses aren't satisfactory. :p

Mark, considering the number of tournaments you attend, I would make a documentary of the different tournaments and put it out on DVD.

I'd find it especially fascinating to see each players face, and listen to them tell a little about themselves and why they play ASL. There are so many names I recognize, but I can't put them to a face or hear their voice. Also, the still pictures I've seen from the various tournaments don't capture the atmosphere the way a film does. You could also show clips from various interesting games, and if you catch me at ASLOK I'll even sing and dance! For goodness sake, catch us in all our glory before we get older than we already are.

If Al Gore can do it, so can you!

We need a good ASL documentary. :)

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That table by Sam is nice.

The only thing I would do different is make the cover of the table removable, ...
The top is removable. The other suggestions are good ones, but I'm in the process of making a 6' by 4' table top so a freind and I can fight the Battle of Gettysburg. (specifically, the second day - July 2, 1863). (The Gamers "This Hallowed Ground".)