What was your very first computer wargame you ever played???

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
"Carrier Command" on the Atari ST followed by "Aces Of The Pacific" on the ST.

It was quite some time before I got a PC tactical/strategy game on any platform, as boardgames quite satisfied that itch. Simulators were where early PCs/consoles beat every other medium hands down.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Mine was Third Reich PC by AH.

That was followed by the V4V series, High Command, War Game Construction Set II: Tanks, Panzer General and Steel Panthers.

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Computer Ambush by SSI 1985.
Awesome, awesome! Me too. This was "Combat Mission" on my Apple ][. Very enjoyable as I recall. Give commands and watch things play out, etc.

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Awesome, awesome! Me too. This was "Combat Mission" on my Apple ][. Very enjoyable as I recall. Give commands and watch things play out, etc.
Maybe have a look on this:

Computer ambush download

And combined with this

C64 Emulator

you may get nostalgia satisfied

And here there are 10500 C64 games that you can run from the webb browser :) - Have not tried it myself yet though.

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Whoops, I totally forgot my very first strategy game, not on a home PC/console but Empire on a DEC PDP 11/34 at work, later ported onto a VAX. A couple of years ago I downloaded it onto my laptop. It was the early '80s when I first played it on the PDP.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Carrier Command" on the Atari ST followed by "Aces Of The Pacific" on the ST.

It was quite some time before I got a PC tactical/strategy game on any platform, as boardgames quite satisfied that itch. Simulators were where early PCs/consoles beat every other medium hands down.
I played a large number of the Aces series on the computers, back in the 386 days with coprocessors installed. AOTP, Aces over Europe, the Expansions for both, Red Baron, and Aces of the Deep.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mine was Third Reich PC by AH.

That was followed by the V4V series, High Command, War Game Construction Set II: Tanks, Panzer General and Steel Panthers.
I still play the 3R2 version for PC on my Win 10 machine. :). hi Command cool, found it was broken though, Germany could leave Poland neutral, Romania neutral, invade everything else and take it all and Russia would declare war against Germany, but never enter neutral Romania or Poland, thereby never attacking Germany. Germany would win after defeating everyone else by 1946.

:D

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I can remember playing some computer strategy games, but not the order. I played Talonsoft's Waterloo and WW2 stuff, Panzer General, Steel Panthers, but not much else.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I played a large number of the Aces series on the computers, back in the 386 days with coprocessors installed. AOTP, Aces over Europe, the Expansions for both, Red Baron, and Aces of the Deep.
When I got my 486 I bought AOTP for it as well as the ST version and AoE, RB and expansions. F-16 Fighting Falcon was also a game I had on both ST and PC, though the PC version got progressively upgraded.