What was your "moment?"

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There was never any doubt that I would pick up ASL. I started with Panzerblitz and Panzer Leader. I got Tobruk after that. Taking up Squad Leader was about as natural as breathing, same for ASL.

BD
PanzerBlitz was the bomb. But, the super cool colored boards and of SL were strikingly awesome.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
PanzerBlitz was the bomb. But, the super cool colored boards and of SL were strikingly awesome.
Panzerblitz was the first war game my parents bought me (I am almost 100% positive). I use to play my older cousin. It hooked me on them but when i bought SL, I knew that was the game that i would continue playing. When i left for the marines, I gave away all of my war games except SL and then in 1986 I found ASL and i have been broke ever since :).

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That was one of the things I liked most about SL, how almost-photo-real the board art was, for the first four boards anyway. And functional, too.

BD

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Though it's interesting what happens to that perception of photo realism when you remove the hex grid.

View attachment 12032
It makes the city look a little sparse. Do you have a way of adding a hex grid that only shows hex spines, Michael? I've always thought games with that style of a hex grid look the most realistic.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
It makes the city look a little sparse. Do you have a way of adding a hex grid that only shows hex spines, Michael? I've always thought games with that style of a hex grid look the most realistic.
Not sure what you mean - you mean without the intersections of the spines?

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Not sure what you mean - you mean without the intersections of the spines?
Yes, just like what Robin and Randy showed. I've seen the hex spines coloured such that they are nearly same colour as the terrain they cover as well, very clean looking and would make cliffs etc. look less confusing when trying to determine their newly defined hex side.

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, a tinderbox thunderstorm, and all about what is and is not about-photo-real. Not to disparage; just remarking to myself and thereby for general consumption how volatile the internet can be.

Regarding differential grid assignments, you might want to check out Steve Jackson Games title Battlesuit, which did away with 'the grid' and made do with a point-based format that approximated the hex-grid without actually using hexes.

BD

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
egarding differential grid assignments, you might want to check out Steve Jackson Games title Battlesuit, which did away with 'the grid' and made do with a point-based format that approximated the hex-grid without actually using hexes.
He released a set of boards specifically for SL/ASL as well. I don't think he realized the importance of covered arc in the rules. But, those were just centre dots. Could possibly work as Brad and Cary describe.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
This was the moment: sophomore year, Spring 1982 at Penn State. Imagining all the sneaky defensive traps I could set up across FOUR end-to-end boards for the original “The Road to Wiltz” in GI Anvil of Victory (yes, finally some more American scenarios for SL!).

Last edited:

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There was always American scenarios in the original Squad Leader module (7 - 12). It was waiting for G.I. Anvil of Victory that took forever.

Jumbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finding "Squad Leader" on a bookshelf in Brentano's in Manhattan.
Fell hard, deeply and immediately, never to recover.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I will give the full story just because I enjoy telling it, and it is SO illustrative of the concept of synchronicity. I had never even heard of wargames at age 21. I was a street tough at the time, and I didn't even know 'worlds' like this even existed. I played RISK a couple of times with my cousin when young, but just considered that a 'boardgame'. So, my friend moved to a new apartment complex and I lost the slip of paper he wrote the unit number on (pre-cellphone and he had no landline). I went looking for him that weekend and knocked on a random door to ask if the tenant might have seen where the new guy moved in with a sky-blue, Berlinetta Camaro. A short, wiry hippie-type opened the door holding a 40oz of beer and a copy of Carell's Hitler Moves East. A huge cloud of pot smoke billowed out as well.

He did not know where my friend moved in (huge complex), but as I thanked him for the inconvenience I commented on the book he held. Propagand-y, but still a good "war story" read. (I had always had an interest in military history, the two World Wars in particular.) It amazed him that a stranger knew the book and its background and he invited me in to talk about it. He gave me a '40', and we smoked up and chatted about WWII reading material. Then, through the buzz and smoke, I noticed he had a game of some sort set up on a side table (SL). I still cannot put my finger on the what/why, but something about it just really sparked my interest.

He immediately started explaining it to me with the fervor we all know. Beginning the next evening, he began teaching me to play SL and I absorbed it quickly. However, something just seemed to be missing from the experience, like playing checkers when you knew chess also existed. I'd seen his boxtop full of vehicle counters, but he refused to play anything but all-infantry scenarios. After busting his chops about it numerous times, he exasperatedly told me that there was a "new, advanced" (snide tone) version of the game that might interest me more (ASL). This was the winter of '89, IIRC. He explained how hobby shops carried this sort of stuff, where one was, and I went and bought the rule book and BV without a second thought. For being working-poor at the time, this was a real expenditure for my budget but it just seemed right.

I began teaching myself to play after reading through the entire rule book, doing every cross-reference along the way. I had a decent grasp on the general mechanics after playing SL infantry scenarios with him. I set up Fighting Withdrawal to play and laboriously began to learn to play. With the Smoke, Blazes, different nationalities (Finns), 'new' map, different DFF mechanics, and the insane plethora of in-game possibilities (with rules to match), I was absolutely HOOKED within the first week! I had only gotten through two game turns after about 10-15 hours of play, but it put me in a world unlike any other I had ever experienced. That weekend, my 5 year old nephew fell into my gaming table and knocked it all on the floor. I calmly started ASL1 again after he left, and next payday went and bought all of the other modules the hobby shop had. I added their in-stock Annuals, DASL, etc later.

My SL-friend came by once to party, stared at my setup ASL game, and just shook his head and muttered under his breath. He was one of those SL purists who thought AH had threw them under the bus when they came out with ASL. I am not joking, he was VERY resentful of this and refused to learn ASL with me. Retrospectively, I can see that he had also become very resentful towards ME, like a jilted lover who is told "Sorry, I'm seeing someone else now." Part of this was also the fact that I would no longer play SL with him, considering it checkers after having found chess. From that point onward, this unfortunately made our newfound friendship extremely awkward to the point we just drifted apart. As odd as this story is, and the unfortunate ending to it, if I had never randomly knocked on that guy's door, I would have never found (nor likely heard of) the beloved mistress of mine for the past 30 years. It has never grown old to me, and I have never taken burnout breaks from it. It is just as captivating as the first time I set up Finns chasing Russians through a burning city! :)

Last edited:

drchilds

#1 ASL Hype Man
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited States
I don't remember the exact scenario. Probably something from either Paratrooper or Yanks ca. 1989 or 1990. As we were playing, and I'm observing with my friend and opponent the ebb and flow of the front line, and the narrative that the scenario was presenting to us, we both commented on this at basically the same time. No other wargaming experience comes close, before or since.