What was the first Napoleonic Board Wargame you played?

Reaction score
A companion to the computer question, but I won't make this one a poll (too many possibilities).

I'm positive the very first one I played was SPI's "Napoleon at Waterloo" (can't beat the price :laugh: ). My boardgaming days were pretty much solitare, and those buddies I did have who gamed couldn't be dragged away from their Squad Leader games :OHNO: . I didn't really get into some of the really heavy games at the time. I played a number of the games based on the NAW system (especially liked Dresden), as well as the Abensburg-Eckmuhl and Aspern games that 3W came up with. I was also fond of 3W's "Napoleon at Lutzen".

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My very first and what I think the only one I ever had was AH's Waterloo. Don't think I played it very much either. Really didn't get into the Napoleonics until Talonsoft came along.

FastPhil

Reaction score
Gary McClellan said:
A companion to the computer question, but I won't make this one a poll (too many possibilities).

I'm positive the very first one I played was SPI's "Napoleon at Waterloo" (can't beat the price :laugh: ). My boardgaming days were pretty much solitare, and those buddies I did have who gamed couldn't be dragged away from their Squad Leader games :OHNO: . I didn't really get into some of the really heavy games at the time. I played a number of the games based on the NAW system (especially liked Dresden), as well as the Abensburg-Eckmuhl and Aspern games that 3W came up with. I was also fond of 3W's "Napoleon at Lutzen".

Waterloo by AH -got it and Gettysburg for Xmas forty-three years ago.

Navarone

Crazed Colonial Soldier
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A Tie: OSG's Liepzig and SPI's Napoleon at Waterloo. I still remember the xtra +1 Combined Arms Modifier When Cavalry, Infantry and Artillery were attacking at the same time (and I remember thinking that was pretty cool, too :cool:)

Mike Cox

Reaction score
Although I played plenty of boardgames as a kid, I did not come to Napoleonic boardgames until after HPS. My first was OSG's 7 Days of 1809. (I have since gone off the deep end, but that is an entirely different subject.)

In the same Days syestem is the Last Days of the Grand Armee. A one map operational game. It happens to cover the exact same area as HPS' Waterloo. The first thing I though when seeing it was how perfect that would be for a scenario generator for HPS Waterloo. 2 players and a moderator would be excellent, but even 2 players using Cyberboard would work....Of course time is a bit precious for me at the moment.

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gary - my first Napoleonic boardgame was the SPI Napoleon at War Quad, my first opponent was Steve Blake, who I still keep in contact with, Steve is a member of the ACWGC and .... he beat me at Wagram!!!!

So the first game I ever played of Napoleonics I later go on to use as the basis for a design for HPS! Ironic I would say.

Played the Marengo game from that Quad twice in a GLASC* tourny, won the second time by winning a 1:2 attack with a roll of 1.

Got into the finals and got wiped out by a guy in the Waterloo battle from the Napoleon's Last Battles Quad. I didnt know the rules, ... and this guy did!

* Greater Los Angeles Simulations Convention - there was a total of five of these before it folded - my club sponsered them and we had over 500 participants for GLASC III.

Later boardgames were La Battaile de la Moskova and Wellington's Victory. After that I pretty much went over to miniatures and boardgames never felt the same after that.