What was the first board-based wargame you owned?

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Mike Duffy
My high school wargames club had a virtual civil war between the D&D'ers, the Starfleet Battle guys (and one girl), and the hard core wargamers. Everyone else in school looked at us a little strange.

:crazy:

Mike
Well I didn't really hang with the D&D guys, they were TOO strange. Even for me. Found guys that play my type of games though, but they would play D&D undercover.

BigMik1

sickpup

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mine was TSR’s A Line in the Sand.

It wasn’t overly complex, and it was based on Desert Storm, with which I was obsessed at the time (and still am to some extent). Unfortunately, I couldn’t find many family/friends to play against; so much of the time was spent cooking up solitaire games, or simply “what-if” scenarios. As a side effect of the game, I was (and still am) able to draw a full map of all of the countries in the Middle East – no small feat for an American middle school student, and given the results of that National Geographic poll a few years ago, no small feat for a young American adult now.

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My friend got given Panzerblitz when were were in grade 7. I think I had Risk before that.

The first game I ever bought was SPI's World War III. It was the one I could afford.

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

My first board game was Blitzkrieg in the 70's, which I played by myself for almost a year, but then gave up for lack of partners.

My next boardgame was ASL in 2003.

There were a LOT of computer games in between.

Reaction score
My older brother came home (to get married IIRC) after leaving for the Air Force, and he brought back Luftwaffe and Air Assault on Crete. Those two games got my attention, but I wasn't able to get him to play (we may have sort of futzed around with Luftwaffe once). Not long after, I was able to nab a copy of Panzer Leader, and well... I was off!

It is sad to see that there's only been one or two in this whole thread who started any later than the mid-80's though :OHNO:

dwardzala

Va Tech Hokie
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got a copy of Avalon Hill's 1914 from an acquaintance when I was about 11 or 12. Squad leader followed soon after.

JohnnyWilson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ericmwalters said:
About looking at the PANZER LEADER box and getting that feeling about playing it for the first time--I get the same feeling looking at MIDWAY, PANZER BLITZ, and RICHTHOFEN'S WAR.

The graphics on the game boxes, maps, and counters still seem to have a mysterious impact on me. I'll still pull them down off the shelf and fondle the components, laying out maps and moving counters around. Other newer (and even better games) stay up on the shelf growing dusty.

What's funny is that once I lay them out and try to actually play them, I quickly realize why I've moved on to other titles since "the good old days." They were great in their time, but the art of game system and scenario design has simply left them in the dust in most cases.
--emw
I cut that down a hair for sake of space, but I want to address that salient point about the "good old days." The first game I bought was Panzer Blitz. Eventually, though, I "traded" it for Panzer Leader. Now, I wish I had them both.

As for "moving on," I'm not sure. I played RICHTOFEN'S WAR about a year ago. I use the deck provided in THE GENERAL to follow the optional rules, but I think it is still an interesting game. Sure, I've played BLUE MAX (GDW) and DAWN PATROL (TSR), but I still like the scenarios and the approach of RW.

I love some of the new game designs like ROADS TO LENINGRAD (GMT) and some of the card-driven games. I like the chit activation system (though that seems to have been introduced back in SPI days). BUT, whenever I get a chance to pull out a BATTLES FOR ITALY (AH) and play a PBEM game or play a solo scenario of CHARIOT (SPI), there is still a special feeling.

On the other hand, the chrome and special mechanics/rules used to simulate special periods DO seem to be better these days.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Panzerblitz. For Christmas. I still have that copy and still play it. It was the first wargame I taught my son to play too. Still love that game.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Remember it like it was yesterday.

Richthofen's War followed by Alexander the Great and Panzer Leader. The Fokker dr7, SPAD 13 and Sopwith Camel counters are completely worn out. I still own them, plus 130+ other Avalon Hill games. Sad, sad day for me when they went out of business.

Luckily, MMP and GMT have picked up the slack.

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
1914, bought for $3.00 from a hole in the wall shed at the local flea market, circa 1972, when I was 10. The place had a wall full of that, and Blitzkrieg, all in shrink-wrapped packages. The list price at the time was $8.00, IIRC. I thought the box for Blitzkrieg looked tacky, so I picked 1914 instead. About 20 years later, it just so happened that I met a guy who became my best friend and weekly wargaming buddy for some 10 years. He happened to be a playtester for the game. Fate is strange that way...

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mine was the original Avalon Hill D-Day in about 1964. I still have it--albeit it a bit worse for wear.

Last edited:

Gen. blunder

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Russian campaign at the age of 13 never played it asked my father to explain me the rules (My father thought that the rules where so complicated and he is a brain scientist) which he never did and lost half of the components so i had to buy it again at 20 years old.
One is best served by himself.
The first war game i actually played was D-day at 18 years old.

Patrocles

Reaction score
I think it was Tactics II or Blitzkrieg at a garage sale circa 1980. The game was fun, but didn't engross me. In the mid-1980s a friend gave me his copy of Squad Leader and I was hooked (about a year later AH released ASL) on wargaming.

Wik

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fenrir said:
I've got a good friend that is about a decade younger than me and has never played anything more involved than Risk. He was drained and nearly comatose after a 2 hour game of Steve Jackson's "Ogre".
:laugh:

My first hex & counter game was OGRE. There was a version with an actual board (Deluxe Edition) but that was some time after I originally played it. :rolleyes:

Not sure what I would say my first 'board' wargame was, I know I played Risk early on, but does that count? How 'bout Chess (which I played even earliar than that?)

I think I'm going to go with Axis & Allies as my first board wargame that I purchased.

- Chad

Hugh Downing

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello, my first wargame/board game that I purchased was back in 1978 and it was Caesar Alesia by Avalon Hill, later that year I bought Wooden Ships and Iron Men. I have been hooked since. Shortly after that in 1979 I picked up Squad Leader, and I made the conversion into ASL in the mid 80s. Lately my non ASL related purchases have been with GMT. I like the look of some of the Avalanche Press games but I have not found one that suits me yet.

Good gaming, Hugh