What to use OB Hero for?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I recall playing "The Taking of Takarouna" many years ago. The commonwealth start with one hero and by turn 3 had generated 3 more. We did not appreciate how to use them so were throwing them away into CC as they were "free" units. Can you imagine a fire group with 4 heroes?

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
AP46 Red Comrades gifts the Reds two heroes and a 9-2 leader, among other things. In addition, the Sovs can set up one MMC and any SW/SMC that set up with it HIP.

I set the 9-2, both heroes, a 6-2-8 and an HMG HIP in a fortified Location adjacent to a rubble hex. I was hoping to get three down-two DFF shots at anyone entering the wooden rubble.

As if sensing a trap, my crafty opponent placed smoke in the rubble hex before moving a leader-led stack into the smoke. Four DFF shots later, the German stack had been reduced to a HS and a wounded leader (IIRC). With only three-and-a-half squad-equivalents in the Russian OB, it was a helluva a gambit.

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’ve failed to find any articles on the subject of Heroes and how best to use them. Especially ones provided in the OB, rather than spontaneously created, such that you could plan ahead what might be best for them.

So when you are given a 1-4-9 in your OB, what do you do with him?

Know of a good Hero tactics article? (unfortunately naming a unit “hero” makes it very difficult to do useful Google searches)
Give him an ATR so his modifier is out to 12 hexes.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I used one in Fighting Withdrawal to draw fire and allow a whole squad to cross at a point that was covered by an enemy MG.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I didn't have one handy, the hero wasn't doing anything useful anyway and also wouldn't have counted for VPs. :)

As it happened, he survived, but then lost the run of himself and tried to take on a squad in CC, and that was the end of that..

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does a Hero stacked with a Leader to get to use both the Hero DRM and Leader DRM combined if they are the only two SMC manning a weapon like a MG?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Does a Hero stacked with a Leader to get to use both the Hero DRM and Leader DRM combined if they are the only two SMC manning a weapon like a MG?
A leader can't use his DRM if he is manning the MG or assisting in firing it.