What to use OB Hero for?

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
I’ve failed to find any articles on the subject of Heroes and how best to use them. Especially ones provided in the OB, rather than spontaneously created, such that you could plan ahead what might be best for them.

So when you are given a 1-4-9 in your OB, what do you do with him?

Know of a good Hero tactics article? (unfortunately naming a unit “hero” makes it very difficult to do useful Google searches)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A few uses for a Hero:
  • As stated by Fanatic+1, give him a FT or DC.
  • Give him an ATR for extended range (especially if stacked with a MG nest & a negative DRM Ldr).
  • Position him in an ADJACENT Multi-Location FG.
  • On the attack use him as a scout to initially "bump" enemy concealed units or move into the enemy's rear areas.
  • If on defense put him in that all important last ditch "Alamo" position (he'll be a bugger to root out regardless of terrain).
  • Put him as a rider on an AFV to man that AAMG (I don't consider this his best use, but depending on circumstances...eh).
Just a few off the top of my head.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Use him as a reserve force close to important battle positions so as to be able to quickly reinforce a threatened/critical sector(s). He's got good movement, can operate that critical MG which must continue to be fired and affords his Heroic Modifier to all around him, so could quickly and relatively safely switch between positions. (Think John Basilone).

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ya know, I don't think I've ever seen an OB where a leader starts the game Heroic. That would make for some interesting tactical choices, if the rest of the OBA were done right - use him as a Hero or a Leader?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ya know, I don't think I've ever seen an OB where a leader starts the game Heroic. That would make for some interesting tactical choices, if the rest of the OBA were done right - use him as a Hero or a Leader?
These definitely exist since I recall playing one where it states that the leader starts heroic but wounds as per a leader. I could not understand the difference since we'd been playing that a broken leader who breaks, dies (as per A10.2 "For each leader eliminated (whether by breaking when already broken, ") Boy I was surprised to learn this was not the case.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
These definitely exist since I recall playing one where it states that the leader starts heroic but wounds as per a leader. I could not understand the difference since we'd been playing that a broken leader who breaks, dies (as per A10.2 "For each leader eliminated (whether by breaking when already broken, ") Boy I was surprised to learn this was not the case.
I remember playing that scenario (or one like it) but can't remember the name of it. I normally hated it when one of my leaders became heroic though just because of the insta' death thing.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Schwerpunkt #5 & #6, their Medal of Honor and Victoria Cross packs, have scenarios with several heroic leaders, including one with a heroic 10-3. The ones I checked have a SSR that says the heroic leader wounds as a leader, not a hero.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also, hand him a Bazooka or a Panzershrek. They operate them at full effect. No second SMC needed. They can also man a MG at full effect. Some other uses highlighted from the rules:
15.23 WEAPONS USE: A hero may use a non-MG SW as if he were a
leader but applies a -1 DRM to its To Hit or IFT DR.
In addition, a hero uses a
MG (at full FP) or other SW normally requiring two men to fire by adding +1
to its To Hit or IFT DR as appropriate (which is negated by the heroic DRM).
A hero forfeits his own inherent FP during any phase in which he uses a SW.
A hero may fire any Gun ≤ 82mm that normally requires a crew as if it were
captured and being fired by an enemy crew (21.11 & 21.12), but his heroic
DRM does not apply.
If firing a Gun > 82mm, it may fire only once per Game
Turn and only during the MPh/DFPh. A hero cannot change the CA of a NT
weapon [EXC: if its M# (C2.27) is ≥ 9].
A hero is the only unit which may fire
an AFV AAMG while a Rider.

I did an old Dispatches article that touched on some of the things Heroes can do. Bordering on super-human.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
“ A hero is the only unit which may fire
an AFV AAMG while a Rider.”
This is still on my bucket list, sounds awesome. Maybe through in a overrun, lol.

Too bad ya can’t use a enemy AAMG. Although it’s probably been done, somewhere, sometime.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But then the leader can’t modify the attack.
I think since a Hero can modify a multi-location fire group both the Hero DRM (if he has range) and the Leader DRM apply cumulatively.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Could the hero use the AAMG, ala Audie Murphy , of a wrecked or shocked tank? Discuss amongst yourselves please.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Could the hero use the AAMG, ala Audie Murphy , of a wrecked or shocked tank? Discuss amongst yourselves please.
In the Schwerpunkt scenario he was in, I think he could. There you have it, from SP49:
Well since the text won't insert, I'll type it.

The American 10-3 is Heroic (A15.21), but suffers wounds as a leader rather than as a hero. This heroic leader may automatically gain possession of the AAMG on an M10 GMC wreck (even if burning) in any Rally Phase, by expending one additional MF in its hex during the MPH, or by advancing into the hex. He has a special -4 heroic DRM when firing an AAMG from an M10 GMC wreck (provided it is still mounted on the wreck). Such fire is not subject to the effects of smoke in its own hex. However, fire into the heroic leader's hex is affected normally by smoke.

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think since a Hero can modify a multi-location fire group both the Hero DRM (if he has range) and the Leader DRM apply cumulatively.
The leadership DRM won't apply, since he won't be directing the Hero in another Location than himself - then he can't direct the FG.

A7.531 & A15.24 If a squad is ADJACENT to a
friendly hero and those two units fire as a FG,
may a Good Order leader stacked with the squad
direct the attack?
A. No – because the hero is not in the same
Location as the leader. [An93b; An96]