What to do with 6+1 leaders?

caa

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What do you guys do with 6+1 leaders? Is the anything they are good at? Is there any possible advantage to using them in some specific capacity?

Thanks,
Chris.

tommyl

Reaction score
First name
Tommy
Country
llUnited States
They can be useful for cutting rout paths, especially if they CX (8MF).

They move close to units to limit their SFF opportunities.

Learned this moves the hard way - pulled against me.

Currently using on in my game of BtB 1 to guard some German prisoners instead of the HS they surrendered to.......

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
2MP movement bonus for accompagnying squads. About the only really good thing they can do as well as a 7-0.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Walk them on suspected minefield locations...:devil:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
My favorite tactic: Hand them a DC and let them lead the assault. Follow on behind them with real troopers once your opponent has committed his folks to First Fire. For real entertainment value, hand them a flame thrower. :devil:

Last edited:

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Counter names

I write names on counters if the 6+1 are:

American - I write Newell over them.....

German - Holst

Russian - Daltonovich

Japanese - Youseaki

British - McLeod.....

French - Tater.....

Yeah, that's what I do.....

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
caa said:
What do you guys do with 6+1 leaders? Is the anything they are good at? Is there any possible advantage to using them in some specific capacity?
I once used a 6+1 to cut the rout paths for a platoon. I risked a couple of shots to get him in place...shots I wouldn't risk another unit to take. I got lucky with the 6+1.

But, generaly a 6+1 is usually good for super high risk assignments (see above) or super low value assignements (OBA observer).

caa

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks all. Great ideas for me to remember the next time my 7-0 ELRs.

Regards,
Chris.

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have them try to enter hexes with concealment counter stacks to see if they are real or not.

Have them run into suspected HIP hexes to see if anyone is home.

The old Army rule: The only good scout is a dead scout.

Dano

ASL Couple

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In my current RB CGIII, I'm using a wounded 6-+1 leader as my OBA radioman. (don't tell my opponent.) :hush:

He's not in a particularly safe position, so it's a question which will fail first - his morale or the overall Russian OBA infrastructure.

Luckily, I'm ahead in the campaign. :)

Greg_Sackett

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dano,

I'm surprised you didn't mention using them to run around small islands burning down huts and any other cover that might be useful to the barbarian Marine hordes what would be landing the next day.

I seem to recall he was pretty handy with a lighter. :smoke:

Greg

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, I should know everything about 6+1 Leaders. I am one!!!

• Rally troops. Even with the +1 DRM it's no worse than self rally (which also has a +1 DRM) and you can attempt to rally every turn.
  • Use a radio. They still qualify as a leader, and you have to have one of them to call in OBA. Especially useful if you can set up the guy with radio HIP.
  • Give movement bonus. +2 MP for anyone moving with them. And if the 6+1 breaks due to enemy fire, it's not likely to hurt your troops because their morale is at least as good as his... (no leader loss MC or PTC).
  • Help carry the ammo for that mortar or HMG. Heavy support weapons can benefit from Mr. 6+1 because he can carry on PP worth of ammo. This can also speed up your repositioning of those big weapons.
  • Sometimes you can use him to block rout paths or force surrender. He still qualifies as an "armed unit". Even if he can't shoot straight.
I don't often use him for scouting. I'd rather have a live 6+1 and use a HS for scout duty.

Now, if you get a hero, use HIM to scout, draw fire, carry the DC or FT. :crosseye:

Sam "Mr. 6+1 to you, Bud."

Michael K

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
... has anyone mentioned that he can help carry portage points - that HMG or .50 cal all of a sudden is much easier to lug around, especially when in a hurry to make it to a lamb-baste spot. :)

jorge

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
My favourite job for a 6+1 Leader is to give him a Telephone, directing the fire of a 80 mm or smaller battery ( one of this was my "official" OBA mortar spotter in RB ).

If you play as the Russian, simply all the Leaders are GOLD. Better a 6+1 Rallying troops in a safe area than watching that poor DM boys crying.

Dave Johnson

No one of consequence
Reaction score
caa said:
What do you guys do with 6+1 leaders?
Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew. :devil: Oops, sorry, I was thinking about something else.

Actually they're good for MF/IPC bonus and at least some nominal rally capability, but I usually play mine back safely out of LOS/range of the bad guys if possible.

Bubba

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greg_Sackett said:
Dano,

I'm surprised you didn't mention using them to run around small islands burning down huts and any other cover that might be useful to the barbarian Marine hordes what would be landing the next day.

I seem to recall he was pretty handy with a lighter. :smoke:

Greg
Ohh Yeah! I did use those two 8+1s (6+1 for the Japanese) to light up the board! That is another good use for them...if the designer forgot put in an SSR. :devious:

Dano