What strings do you use

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been playing guitar for a little over 4 years. I kept the original Yamaha strings on until I broke one. I have been trying different brands and gauges but still haven't found a favorite. Just curious as to what everyone else uses/likes. So far my favorite is D'Addario NY XLCobalt 10s.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I was using Fender Bullet 10-46s, but on the advice of my local guitar guy I've moved up to Elixir 11-52's to try and get around some buzz from fret wear.
I also get a deeper, more Stevie Ray sound out of them, which is a win.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Change them more often Jim. Notice the bright sound with new strings? I found these neon strings that look cool under a black light, they glow! Currently I got Ernie Ball #10s.

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Change them more often Jim. Notice the bright sound with new strings? I found these neon strings that look cool under a black light, they glow! Currently I got Ernie Ball #10s.
That is what I just took off, trying a set of 9s

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One week later, I finally have the saddles and intonation set. No wonder I hate changing strings.

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
On the Stratocaster I use Fender 9-42 ball ends. I can't use bullets because I have an after-market bridge and bullets won't fit.

On the Telecaster I use a custom-sized set 9-10-11-24-32-38. They are as used by James Burton. The G string is especially light because he does a lot of full step bends at the second fret and elsewhere. It's just too hard doing that all night on a 16. Of course you have to tune after every song. Note how light the low-E is as well.

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On the Stratocaster I use Fender 9-42 ball ends. I can't use bullets because I have an after-market bridge and bullets won't fit.

On the Telecaster I use a custom-sized set 9-10-11-24-32-38. They are as used by James Burton. The G string is especially light because he does a lot of full step bends at the second fret and elsewhere. It's just too hard doing that all night on a 16. Of course you have to tune after every song. Note how light the low-E is as well.
Do the SRV trick and down tune all the strings 1/2 tone. Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I learned to use two fingers on the big bends, it helps a lot.