What "Scary" film do you like?

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello gang.So with Holloween just around the corner and the glut of "scary" films on the tube right now, what is your favorite? What Horror movie can get you to jump, or check the closet before bed, or turn on all the house lights. Be it 50 years old in black and white, or just out this week in blazing crimson color with all the 3D effects in the book. What do you like?

For me the Alien films are great. And back a while, "The Devils Rain" gave me the creeps. Don't know if it holds up after all these years. Took my girlfriend (which is now my wife of 29 years) to see The Nightmare on Elm St. for our second date. That was pretty creepy. Surprised we went on a third date!

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only horror films that really can get me to "jump" are asian horror films (though, I admit to jumping to "Deep Blue"). I recommend (the originals): The Eye, Kairo (aka Pulse), Ringu, The Host, and probably others.

If you're not as hardcore as me, some other recommendations may include (gore included!): Suspiria, Tenebre, Profondo Rosso, Twitch of the Death Nerve

Or, some of the only good western horror films in 20 years: Bug, The Descent, Ravenous, Frailty

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not a big fan of scary movies, but always found the Nightmare series on the humorous side with his one liners. When a Stranger Calls is the movie that always creeps me out. Not a slasher movie like Friday the 13th, but a pretty good mind fu-k.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I just finished John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness, which is weird and quirky, but good. Also saw Prometheus, but that wasn't scary enough to count.

So here's the list of films on my "may watch" list for this Halloween:

• The Mist
  • The Thing
  • Paranormal Activity
  • Salem's Lot
  • The Omen
Movies I'm considering but haven't seen before are:

• Rec
  • Cabin in the Woods
  • The Devil's Backbone

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The original Halloween by Carpenter is still my favorite horror movie of all tiem.

The best thing I have seen recently was Let the Rigth One in - a surprisingly good vampire flick from Sweden.

The Changeling with George C Scott still gives me the chills.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saw the Descent, thought it was pretty good. Bug eh, I've not seen it yet but it is on my list to watch. Did see the Asian versions of the Ring and Grudge, and liked them well enough. The long time trend of gore equaling horror or scary is tiring me out. How many times must I watch some dude or chick get hacked up. I never really thought those types of films were truly scary.
Don, I did see the first Paranormal and thought it was ok. Kind of creepy, but not truly scary. The Mist was ok, again not really scary for me, I think King has been out of touch with whats really scary/horror for quite some time now. Read the Omen and Salems Lot and thought the books were much better than the films.I won't say pass on Cabin in the Woods, it has some neat ideas that weren't fleshed out in the film.I do regret spending the $4.99 to watch it on demand though.
Will have to watch the Changling again, been way to long and don't remember it well enough.Never got into the Holloween flicks, just average horror for me.
Thanks for participating all.

ronniemark

Recruit
Reaction score
Evil Angel .....This is really a so scary movie ....This movie I watched in cinema , But can't you explain how scary was this movie....I was really so scared when I was watching this movie...Every moment is thrilling at that time....But the Movie is Awesome.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The only film I can think of it really creeped me out was Silence of the Lambs.
Although when I was young, I did see enough of a film on TV of Karen Black being hunted by a evil fetish doll to give me nightmares for weeks. (Trilogy of Terror)

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Read the Omen and Salems Lot and thought the books were much better than the films.
Salem's Lot frightened me when I was a kid, but not so much now (the book was better). It was a pretty low budget effort, but I did like the way they made Mr. Barlow very Nosferatu-like in the Klaus Kinski fashion. I absolutely detest the sparkly teen vampire trend.

Speaking of movies that scared me back then but not now, anyone remember Phantasm? That was the one with the creepy old man and the flying ball with blades. A very strange low budget film, but one that still managed to scare me. I remember watching that one dark Saturday night with the babysitter when I was like 9 or something.

Jaws terrified me as a kid and I'm probably not over it yet. I also loved the original Halloween. It's a favorite of mine, but I've seen it so many times it's hard for it to be scary like it used to be.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes Don - most definitely yes. The original Phantasm was sacry as hell - msolty for teh creepy mortuary and the Tall Man than for the flying silver balls - but a really creepy movie.

And they do some interetsing stuff with dreaming and reality v dreaming way before Wes Craven got around to Freddy Krueger.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, had not thought of Phantasm, it was a pretty creepy flick. As for dream sequences in movies, I absolutely loved the one, I think it was American Werewolf in London, where he was dreaming then woke-up but then you find he's still dreaming. That was the first time I had seen that done and it was great. What was the flick that had the two brothers but one was actually dead(you find out later in the film) and the live brother was terrorising the family and you always thought he was the good brother and the other was the evil one,but he was actually dead. Can't think of the lady that played the mom, I want to say Paricia Neal but I don't think thats right. Anyone? I never really got the Jaws being scary. I grew up in SoCal and spent a lot of time at the beach surfing. You absolutely noticed a decline in people at the beach during and after Jaws. It never bothered me though. It is a great flick though.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Off the top of my head, for me it's probably John Carpenter's 'The Thing'. The Antarctic setting was creepy to begin with, and the over-the-top hideous alien just made the film, well, over-the-top. Also, it was amazing that they were able to create such a realistic beast with purely analog special effects. Favorite line: "The ET's are all over the place man. They practically own South America." lol

Speaking of Carpenter, I liked the original Halloween as well. The thing about that movie was it was scary more for what it suggested than what it showed, and in fact didn't get graphic until the very end.

I'm also partial to the old, old Outer Limits series. It was an uncanny mixture of hard science, Gothic horror, and Cold War paranoia, and I think it being filmed in black and white made it creepier than it otherwise would have been and sort of accentuated the Gothic horror aspect. Also, it had the creepiest music and soundtrack I've ever heard. A lot of people confuse it with the Twilight Zone, but I think the Outer Limits was more scifi, whereas the Twilight Zone was mostly allegory, fantasy, and twist endings. I recall one Outer Limits episode called 'Don't Open Till Doomsday' where the absolutely hideous alien was an amalgamation of male and female genitalia! Talk about a Freudian nightmare, I don't know how that one ever got past the TV sensors. I would also add that it was interesting how in most of the episodes evil was not usually totally defeated, but rather kept at bay, and some innocents usually suffered along the way. In fact sometimes the innocents were the evil. As an interesting aside, Outer Limits writer/producer Joe Stefano wrote the Star Trek: Next Gen episode where the black blob kills Tasha Yar.

BTW Prymus, I just played the Year of the Four Emperors (70AD) scenario in Alea Jackta Est, and the General commanding the Danube legions name is, ahem.....Primus! ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's so many great scary movies, hard to name them all. I prefer well made scary movies with good acting:

Aliens
Wrong Turn
The Descent
The Thing
Drag me to Hell
The Ring
Blair Witch Project
The Shining
Halloween
The Mist
Hellraiser
Sixth Sense
Rec
Evil Dead II and I
Zombies (anything Lucio Fulci from the 70s & 80s)
Let the Right one in
The Fly
American Werewolf in London
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead (both versions)
Jaws
Alien
The Exorcist
The Possession
Insidious
The Thing 2011

Movies that scared the hell out of me when I was a tot:
The Blob 1958
Night of the Demon 1957
The Flesh Eaters 1964

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Corporal - A couple of quick takes:

Aliens - Probably Cameron's best movie. Although it was a bit of a military cheap thrill/military cliche movie, it was still great fun and a great roller coaster ride. I would also add that this movie has obviously had a huge influence on game producers. If you doubt this you need look no further than Starcraft and Mass Effect.
Blair Witch Project - An amazing movie. Not since Jack Nicholson and Peter Fonda made millions with the cheapo Easy Rider have film producers done so well with such a small investment. The film's cheap production actually worked in its favor, as it made things seem more realistic.
The Shining - I love Kubrick and loved the Stephan King novel, but absolutely hated the movie when I first saw it. I came around in a couple of viewings though, as the film is something of an acquired taste. Spielberg was right though in that Jack Nicholson was over-the-top, like Japanese Kabuki theater. lol
The Exorcist - I've only seen it once and thought it was a bit overrated. Probably need to see it again.
The Thing 2011 - An OK film, but no where near as good as the Carpenter version.

I can't believe I've never seen The Fly remake , The Sixth Sense, and Dawn of the Dead. Need to put these in my Netflix queue.

Last edited: