What rules do you have the hardest time grasping?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are there any rules that continue to frustrate you--that you just can't seem to master, no matter how long you have played?

I don't mean rules you haven't tried yet, like maybe desert or air drops or night or what-have-you. I mean rules that you do play with, but just can't really get straight.

Countertroll

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are people that will take me off the to play list thinking that I am mildly retarded, but Orchard/Palm Trees and the LOS blocking that they do are just something that I can not retain.
I know...I should give the game up...

Other than that, I may (do!) forget rules, or question the why of one, but I pretty much understand them.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For the LONGEST time, I couldn't grasp all the blind hex permutations. I think I finally may have gotten that down.

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I still despise Orchards and have to re-read the rules pertaining to them whenever they appear in a scenario.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Blind hexes and quickly grasping whether I have LOS over obstacles I would like to understand much better than I do, especially for face-to-face play where I can't rely on the VASL LOS calculator! :)

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have been playing ASL since it first came out and I still struggle with figuring out if I got a CH on the ITT table. I guess I am adding when I should be subtracting but that is one rule that still has me confused.

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yea blind hexes for sure, and i'd be amazed if i can get through an OBA attack without reaching for the rule book and an OBA aid at least twice! Also i am NOT partial to slopes, they get too easily lost in the mist!

I have no trouble with orchards, and i love Battlefield Integrity!

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Good Morning Gents

There is no problem getting the rules straight, this is a simple game. It is all in the tome.

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Morning Gents

Mark, that was not my intention. If anybody thought it was bragging I apologise since I have plenty to learn in this game.
But I actually do not have a hard time understanding the rules, I think it is pretty straight-forward unless one gets into the nitty-picky stuff.
My biggest problem is remembering the rules, had two issues I had totally forgot about yesterday.
Hope to see you in a year Mark, I want a replay when I am not sick against you.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I am really shy about Night, Caves and Landing Craft rules... The latter seems really anti-pegagogic in its presentation... :eek:
Among "usual" (i.e. chap A-D) rules, I find rout rules difficult to master - for an example, still dive in the RB to see if "nearest hex" is in MF or in hexes...:confused:

St Just

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've played ASL since it first came out, and I'm still screwed up with the Area Fire/Area Target Type thing. Every time my mortar fires at a concealed unit, I'm going to the rulebook. I'm still not sure if I can legally fire SMOKE at a concealed/HIP target, or an empty hex. Or let's say I'm pretty sure I CAN do it, I just don't know exactly why.

PZchala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OBA and OVR. I play fearlessly with both, now, but take away my flowcarts and it's a whole new ball game. If there is a more complicated section than reaction fire, I have not seen it.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hill and LOS and Orchards and LOS

I do not know why, but I just can;t keep them straight. :(

Peace

Roger

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Robin said:
Landing Craft rules... The latter seems really anti-pegagogic in its presentation...
Just playing my first LC game now and am finding that is is not as hard as it looks! It is all there, but takes some wading through!

I am sure that it will be the same for me when i get the guts up to ask someone to hold my hand for a Desert game!

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Night rules, even though I have played a few scenarios and am in the middle of a OW CG. They just don't stick, forget to use IR and star shells at appropriate times (shoot them and end up doing more harm than good), jitter fire, etc.

Keith