What rules do you have the hardest time grasping?

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The hardest rules for me are ones I see debated at length on forums and mailing lists. The ones that turn into a wierd detailed discussion about the meaning of the word "IF", and sh*t like that.

There was one a year ago about rout paths and judging Interdiction based on units out of LOS the start of the rout phase.

I tried to follow the argument, but it got WAY too technical and now I'm SCREWED whenever I come across that in a game.

Needless to say, I don't read those big rules arguments any more. Staying away from the ASLML helped a lot.

-Jay

PZchala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robin said:
Interesting : more problems with the basic set of rules than with specialized "Amphibious assault" or "Night"...
I presume it is because one is more often "in contact" with the core of the rules - and feels one's limits much more frequently...
About the basic rules, rout remains the more difficult for me...
IMHO, I'd say it's more that most ASLers have never or very little played with caves, cave complexes, landing craft, beaches, seaborne assaults, panji's, rice paddies, hillocks, and desert in general. All those rules present a certain level of difficulty that requires keeping a RB handy and reviewing them before playing a scenario that features them.

PZchala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The hardest rules for me are ones I see debated at length on forums and mailing lists. The ones that turn into a wierd detailed discussion about the meaning of the word "IF", and sh*t like that.
Ah,yes, the "rules lawyer" debates. :rolleyes: The problem with those, is that it tends to degenerate into a pissing contest as the lawyers argue for the sake of debate. Some people enjoy that, though I suspect most do not. For me it depends on my mood, personal stake in the question being debated, and time on hand.

There was one a year ago about rout paths and judging Interdiction based on units out of LOS the start of the rout phase.
I remember that one. It was a bit of a brain-burner, but not without merit.

I tried to follow the argument, but it got WAY too technical and now I'm SCREWED whenever I come across that in a game.
Nah, your not screwed. You'll play it the way that seems fair and logical between you and your opponent. It really doesn't matter if you don't play an odd-ball situation by the book, as long as you and your opponent are happy with it.

Needless to say, I don't read those big rules arguments any more. Staying away from the ASLML helped a lot.
You know, a lot of people make that comment about the ASLML. Personally, I think it's a cop-out. Don't leave. Stay, and make it better.

Last edited:

ON TOP ASL

Play J94, J98, J110, J111
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
What rules do you have the hardest time grasping?

Many!
One example, Getting concealment in open ground (out of LOS), the dr required is always foggy to me.
Sometimes me and my opponent just agree, OK dr1-4 and you're concealed. I know, not by the book but it happens.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Circled B#'s cause my brain to lock up. Ok.......a lot of things cause my brain to lock up, but this is an ASL discussion. :confused:

Petros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm afraid of the Night rules, then Landing Craft, then Slopes, then Wall Advantage, then.. (too many to list here) :nuts:
Still, I would more gladly face the Night rules in order to play ASL at all. ;)

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Just thought of a new one (came up in my game of Hube's Pocket with DonStone) Collateral Attacks... anyone know a simple way to understand this rule? Gets me every time! :argh:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Many of the endless rules arguments on the ASLML are so obscure that they won't come up in play for most people. The ASLML is populated with a number of people (Bruce Bakken, S. Fancher, Bruce Probst, etc.) who absolutely adore rules arguments. Most such rules arguments seem to tend to be caused by "rules stretchers"--certain people who come up with novel interpretations of the rules.

paulkenny

Reaction score
if a sitation involving collataral attacks comes up, roll the dice if the answer is clearly NA continue if not ignore result and continue playing! :devil:

paulkenny

Reaction score
Actaully night rules arent so bad, you just need to look at the game a little differently. THe article Bring on the Night (?) is VERy helpful

The constant rolling for Straying bugs me.

da priest

Reaction score
Basic Rules. got to be the LOS thing. Someone should take the HOB HG!6 scenario and do an example of LOS rules.

Others are little used/not intuitive rules like Pillboxes, smoke, Flames/Blazes...etc.