What price ASL? How many $ to start? How much have you spent?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I mentioned in the Today in ASL History thread that I had found my SL/ASL notebooks. While glancing through them I came across a letter I had written ( never meaning to send, lol Moody Blues ) where I was apparently quite pissed off about a letter that appeared in The General, Vol. 19 No. 5. The writer of the letter was berating AH for ripping off the poor dumb players who had already sunk $50.00 into the SL system, practically accusing AH of fraud.

Captain Bacchus and I were thinking about this in context of the new modules soon to be released where someone had posted they had been saving for two years to purchase one of them. In light of that $50 for the SL system seems a bargain, even accounting for inflation. I think I bought SL for $10 or $12 in 1980 or 1981.

So I was wondering what a player in 2020 would have to fork out to start playing ASL?
How much to purchase all the official modules?

If it's not too personal a question how much have you spent for all your ASL kit, going to tournaments, publications or whatever you want to include?

Just curious and a bit nosy!! ??

Last edited:

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
So I was wondering what a player in 2020 would have to fork out to start playing ASL?

How much to purchase all the official modules?

If it's not too personal a question how much have you spent for all your ASL kit, going to tournaments, publications or whatever you want to include?

Just curious and a bit nosy!! ??
A few thousand dollars, maybe several thousand dollars, depending on what you consider 'few' and how many make 'several'.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Thanks! Doesn't seem too bad to get started. I thought there would be more modules.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
He needs the Pocket ASLRB and VASL. And a guy who teaches him and who will provide Chapter H notes if needed.
That is not much with regard to funds.

Alternatively, he needs the regular ASLRB, which includes Chapter H. Costs more than a Euro game, but still doable.

For the non-VASL variant, it's the ASLRB and BV. For a game, this is serious dollars if one finds out that ASL is not the thing. However, if one finds out to like it and sticks to it, it is a steal compared to most other hobbies.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Probably it is good that I do not know...

I bought pretty much everything ASL by AH/MMP at standard prices. Then I have about one yard of magazines, scenario packs, etc. All the RAACO stuff wasn't exactly cheap. So I guess it must be several thousand dollars for the kit.

Then I visited somewhat over 20 tournaments. All, though, with overseeable costs for lodging and travel. Still, costs add up, so that would be another several thousand dollars.

But spread out over all these years and considering the time I sunk into it, this is pretty good bang for the buck.

von Marwitz

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Thanks! Doesn't seem too bad to get started. I thought there would be more modules.
Does not include the any HASL, Deluxe or Solitaire ASL .
Does not include the scenario packs, many out of print.
Does not include the magazines, General, Annual, Journal, etc.

Then there is the third party material: BFP, LCP, LFT, Dispatches, March Madness, etc. with their modules and scenario packs.

And the storage containers, even if it is just one plastic bag, dice, tower or cup, tweezers or suction pen, coffee cups, shirts, etc.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Probably it is good that I do not know...

I bought pretty much everything ASL by AH/MMP at standard prices. Then I have about one yard of magazines, scenario packs, etc. All the RAACO stuff wasn't exactly cheap. So I guess it must be several thousand dollars for the kit.

Then I visited somewhat over 20 tournaments. All, though, with overseeable costs for lodging and travel. Still, costs add up, so that would be another several thousand dollars.

But spread out over all these years and considering the time I sunk into it, this is pretty good bang for the buck.

von Marwitz
I would agree about the bang for the buck. In that regards no other hobby except Frisbee has even come close for me.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He needs the Pocket ASLRB and VASL. And a guy who teaches him and who will provide Chapter H notes if needed.

Alternatively, he needs the regular ASLRB, which includes Chapter H. Costs more than a Euro game, but still doable.

For the non-VASL variant, it's the ASLRB and BV. For a game, this is serious dollars if one finds out that ASL is not the thing. However, if one finds out to like it and sticks to it, it is a steal compared to most other hobbies.

von Marwitz
Least we forget the counter trays/storage-systems, printers & related materials, precision dice, dice towers, ASL bling, etc. Depending on how nuts you want to go, add in at least another grand. o_O(Yeah, but it's worth it!):love:??

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Heh, I do remember the idea of paying $40 for the ASLRB only back in '85. Then another $40 for BV...and that was in 1985! $80 when most games were $20 or more. However, it was a LOT of content and a color rulebook and charts and lots of punch out! Awesome! Now, having purchased everything AV/MMP (some x2) and lots of TPPs, thousands of dollars later.... =)

Most board games these days are $50+ and big ones are easy over $100 MSRP. RPGs like D&D have a zillion expansions. If you get ASLRB and BV for $225 or so, you do get a heck of a pile 'o stuff and a system that's proven and lots of options to expand based on your desire--and a bit of gaming value and LOTS of time learning and playing. Yes, it's more than a game, it's a hobby (collecting, organizing, talking to folks, deciding what to buy, spend, etc.) so expect to spend like a hobby, not like a game, per se.

Heck, if folks can chunk out $500-$1300 for a PHONE and lose it/break it/don't take care of it, and go buy another one 'cause it's "just money"...I don't see ASL as very expensive at all...just a decision where you want to put your money.

I've lost count, but easily a few thousand...but spread over a few decades (more in the last 10 years, however, buying up the reprint modules, etc.)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Heh, I do remember the idea of paying $40 for the ASLRB only back in '85. Then another $40 for BV...and that was in 1985! $80 when most games were $20 or more. However, it was a LOT of content and a color rulebook and charts and lots of punch out! Awesome! Now, having purchased everything AV/MMP (some x2) and lots of TPPs, thousands of dollars later.... =)

Most board games these days are $50+ and big ones are easy over $100 MSRP. RPGs like D&D have a zillion expansions. If you get ASLRB and BV for $225 or so, you do get a heck of a pile 'o stuff and a system that's proven and lots of options to expand based on your desire--and a bit of gaming value and LOTS of time learning and playing. Yes, it's more than a game, it's a hobby (collecting, organizing, talking to folks, deciding what to buy, spend, etc.) so expect to spend like a hobby, not like a game, per se.

Heck, if folks can chunk out $500-$1300 for a PHONE and lose it/break it/don't take care of it, and go buy another one 'cause it's "just money"...I don't see ASL as very expensive at all...just a decision where you want to put your money.

I've lost count, but easily a few thousand...but spread over a few decades (more in the last 10 years, however, buying up the reprint modules, etc.)
That is so true about the phones!!!????

I paid fifty bucks for my phone and it works annoyingly well. To each his/her own. I'm sure the Galaxy XXX or whatever owner looks upon little pieces of cardboard the same way.

However counters seldom crack and rarely need charged.?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Least we forget the counter trays/storage-systems, printers & related materials, precision dice, dice towers, ASL bling, etc. Depending on how nuts you want to go, add in at least another grand. o_O(Yeah, but it's worth it!):love:??
Indeed. I would not want to miss my carpet, bookshelf, and monocle-stand when attending tournaments.

von Marwitz

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
As always, the level of spending should match the level of use. Someone playing ASL occasionally would be happy with 3-4 core modules, especially that each of them now contains a lot of scenarios. That would be very good value for money. More intense involvement could imply a higher level of spending of course.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

von Marwitz
I hadn't considered VASL as a starting point for getting into ASL. Nice thought. How much would it cost using this approach which seems very appropriate given the current situation?

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I hadn't considered VASL as a starting point for getting into ASL. Nice thought. How much would it cost using this approach which seems very appropriate given the current situation?
For me, if there is genuine interest this is tantamount to free riding.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Since you are asking, my budget for tournaments is a little over five thousand CAD each year. Since most tournaments are outside of Canada, the number that I can attend varies with the strength or weakness of the Canadian dollar. My two musts, however, are ASLOK and the Canadian ASL Open. Depending on whether I can drive or need to fly, I can attend two or three other tournaments in a year.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's a great venue now. You still need to buy everything - rules, scenarios. You just ain't using the boards or counters. I am not sure how much "free riding" this entails.

The funny thing about this particular demographics is that we want to OWN stuff. We want our stuff. So much so there are tons of collectors for every player out there.