What play-aids are a "must have" when you play a scenario and why?

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
QRDC, Terrain chart, Concealment gain/loss chart, OVR and OBA flowcharts.
QRDC could be epurated from some useless tables.
Ok, had to look up epurated. first time in 50 years I've ever seen that word.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have a binder of play aids that I bring to every game. What I use depends on the scenario. For the simplest infantry-only scenario, I use the QRDC and my copy of the large IFT from Chapter A divider and the Concealment table. Other scenarios might add the Overrun Flow Chart, the OBA flow chart, the Air Support guide, the Winter guide, my own Pillbox guide, my own Cavalry guide. I have other stuff in the binder, but I don’t have the binder in front of me.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I think that my French made an intrusion in my English - well, as about a number of English words have a French origin, it could have gone unnoticed.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The MOLOTOV COCKTAIL chart. Not that I don't understand the rule, but as a reminder to USE the darn things! For some reason, though I always remember to use PF & ATMM, I usually forget that I have MOL capability until just after a shot I've taken that could have benefited by its use. I specifically remember a CG date of RB where after purchasing MOL capability, I failed to use it or even remember I had the capability until about Turn 5 (DOH!).

Other charts that are almost necessary are the AP/APCR/APDS/HE/HEAT TK# ones for the most esoteric tube sizes or very extended ranges; most of the standard ones [EX: 37, 50, 75, 76, 88 and nationality permeations or tube length of such of such] are fairly simple and straight forward and easily remembered. With regards to the IIFT, because I use it so seldom now days, for most columns beyond 16FP I need to check the chart as well.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Quick look at the ASL material around my PC, since most of my games are on VASL...

Two (actually, 3, but one is an older version) copies of the Rat Pocket Charts are the closes play aid at hand. Also nearby are the Pocket Rulebook, ASOP, and a number of scenario cards - most of them also existing on the computer's disks as scans, if necessary. (Lots more are nearby, but not quite as easy to grab).

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
It is an excellent habit to keep referring to the ASOP, even if you think you have it pretty well down.
It's a good reminder.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
QRDC could be epurated from some useless tables.
The post-war use of the term epuration (from Fr. épuration) is interesting, namely the criminal prosecution of French and Italian officials held after World War II to have been fascists or collaborators.

I think that my French made an intrusion in my English - well, as about a number of English words have a French origin, it could have gone unnoticed.
Or a case of parapraxis, a subconscious desire to epurate the IIFT (Incremental Infantry Fascist Table). ;)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The verb "épurer" has no negative connotation and isn't related to the sometimes odious vengeance against alleged collaborationists that the substantive "épuration" evokes.
History can coin some terms in a strange and permanent way.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Or a case of parapraxis, a subconscious desire to epurate the IIFT (Incremental Infantry Fascist Table). ;)
Ok, I had to look up parapraxis.. First time in 50 years I've seen that word...

Hell, spellcheck says it's a non word....

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Ole Boe's IIFT(M)QRDC v3.6 (= Incremental IFT (Mini) Quick Reference Data Card).

Best one page (front and backside) play aid out there, which of course is also useful for the non-IIFT bunch.

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?resources/iift-m-qrdc-v3-6-by-ole-boe.10/

Holds most of what you need on a single page (front & backside):
  • IFT/IIFT
  • Close Combat Table
  • Ambush
  • Leader Creation
  • Heat of Battle
  • To Hit Table
  • Firer- & Target-Based TH DRM
  • AP TK Table
  • APCR/APDS TK Table
  • HEAT TK Table
  • HE & Flame TK Table
  • AFV Destruction Table
von Marwitz
Ole was a very bright light. We are all diminished by his absence.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
What play-aids are a "must have" when you play a scenario and why ?
A beer and/or a single-malt ;)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Ole was a very bright light. We are all diminished by his absence.
I agree with you.
He played a role quite similar to Klas or jrv, being extremely competent in answering rules questions.
But there are quite a few people here who hate him deeply.