what - perhaps - ASL needs

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Agree. That was not my post. Just that I like that idea.
The idea of VASL only is intriguing as it means you can digitally distribute without worrying about a P#. Vic does really well with DftB and I LOVE the fact that I don't have to scan anymore. I wish all distributors offered a PDF option. I would take that route in a heart beat. -- jim

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had forgotten about the GI one, I had that module.

In any case that mode is interesting if terrain is better 'planned'.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[I don't have Rebel to loom at]

They might have that too, or some might?, it has been a few years since I played them, and I didn't bother checking the cards on the ones I played.

In any case "blind" OB is in some ways more dramatic than variable VC, which are, while not super common, are a thing.
@ "...win at game if they complete X or* immediately upon completing Y."

You set up a game in 1944, say, as the Allies, and you will worry about the Tiger/Panther being out there in a way you never have before...this effect is not limited to 1944 and those vehicles. This is very. very different that looking at an OPFOR menu card, or the OPFOR RG options...your best guess is looking at Chapter H year and month data RF charts to get a grip on the plausible.

Recommend.

I was just thinking today: The future of scenario design:

Players fill out a 'field of battle submission' form. Form goes to scenario designer. (who already has some situation options cocked up, as they are pull-down choices on the form.)

Designer sends OB choices and Victory condition options to each player (without opponent's complete knowledge-- unless 'recon' was chosen in the pull-down-- but opponent may not know that he has been 'reconned') as appropriate. Some situations, such as meeting engagements will have more options for each player. Others such as 'take the hill' will have fewer.

Players play on VASL or live via FaceTime, etc. or even face-to-Face. Designer can offer 'light' moderation or none at all-- so not quite like a dungeon master.

Maybe when I retire from my real job ;)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Players fill out a 'field of battle submission' form. Form goes to scenario designer. (who already has some situation options cocked up, as they are pull-down choices on the form.)

Designer sends OB choices and Victory condition options to each player (without opponent's complete knowledge-- unless 'recon' was chosen in the pull-down-- but opponent may not know that he has been 'reconned') as appropriate. Some situations, such as meeting engagements will have more options for each player. Others such as 'take the hill' will have fewer.

Players play on VASL or live via FaceTime, etc. or even face-to-Face. Designer can offer 'light' moderation or none at all-- so not quite like a dungeon master.

Only if you allow them to pay a little extra for that extra ooommpp in their OOB. Now THAT might just become a real job...

Don't forget me when you are rolling around in a tub full of BattleDice

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
just to say, I playtested a scenario where one MA of the two AFV in play is malfunctioning. This information is secret until the moment the functioning MA fires.
Easy things like this adds a little bit of FOW that can only improve the fun.
Like the German reinforcement in 'Second City' (which unfortunately are STILL too strong.)

(Sorry to focus on my own designs- but I am just more familiar with those. As you can see, I am a fan of FOW if I can keep it simple enough)

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

with a couple of quirks, you just described Chapter H and the Schmittgens-Kibler article...careful, or you'll put yourself out of a job...

More seriously though, the use of asymmetrical victory conditions was a selling point of the first of the "new generation" Combat Mission games, as it depicted modern US Army forces versus Syrian irregulars. So it was possible for example for the US player to gun down a horde of 'terrorists' but still lose if he lost a couple of his precious Strykers. And possible to set it up so neither side knows what the other guy's objectives actually are. I think there is plenty of scope to have such asymmetrical VC in ASL - I imagine you've already designed some scenarios with same. But definitely falls into the "play for experience" camp rather than those who want a balanced game.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
More seriously though, the use of asymmetrical victory conditions was a selling point of the first of the "new generation" Combat Mission games, as it depicted modern US Army forces versus Syrian irregulars.
Dunno.

Of course, there are those scenarios in ASL, where you have a juggernaut late-war force steamrolling over some opposing 'Remnants of ....' as so fittingly specified on the scenario card. The VC then demand that the 'remnants' have to survive with at least one GO HS somewhere.

Some might get a kick out of this, but I do not find these types of scenarios all that appealing - especially as the side that gets stomped.

von Marwitz

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Of course, there are those scenarios in ASL, where you have a juggernaut late-war force steamrolling over some opposing 'Remnants of ....' as so fittingly specified on the scenario card. The VC then demand that the 'remnants' have to survive with at least one GO HS somewhere.
This is basically what I think of everytime Honza mentions one of those PTO bug-hunts he seems fond of...

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What ASL needs is to have MMP reprint the March Madness 98 scenario pack and counters as an offical module so I can get a copy!

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The idea of VASL only is intriguing as it means you can digitally distribute without worrying about a P#. Vic does really well with DftB and I LOVE the fact that I don't have to scan anymore. I wish all distributors offered a PDF option. I would take that route in a heart beat. -- jim
If anyone is interested in a VASL-only approach for CG and large OB scenario let me know. The "skunk works" project I mentioned earlier is mature enough to do some initial playtesting and get some feedback on the basic concepts.

-Sully

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If anyone is interested in a VASL-only approach for CG and large OB scenario let me know. The "skunk works" project I mentioned earlier is mature enough to do some initial playtesting and get some feedback on the basic concepts.

-Sully
I got a bit o time on my hands and finishing a play test slot in my VASL dance card coming up soon, PM me and I can probably work in a largish OB VASL thingie for you if you want.

KRL, Jon H

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
You should have a look at the MM 'blind scenarios'. The enemy's entire OB is unknown to you its prints on a different card. The only thing in common is the VC and the basic weather and boards and things like place a wreck in H5.

You get some "intel" report like the "enemy has artillery" or "fortifications and mines".

They are very fun to play. I have played 4-5. Highly recommend.
what about the Squad Bleeder run of scenarios? Those have high FOW in terms of what will be headed you way.

Peace

Roger

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It has been a bit since I looked at those (I even won the mini at ASLOk a few years back in that) but don't you know the other guys menu to start? In the MM you don't the pack comes with two sets of scenario cards. So if you are honest you don't look at the other card.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
well sure you could know what he can buy from the list, but there are lots of choices either way.

When my buddy and I play, we do not even look at the other players card.

Peace

Roger

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We need to get paid to play! E-gamers are so should WE! Hell Dallas is building a dedicated E-Game tournament center. Just my fantasy rant...

Jimfer

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
We need to get paid to play! E-gamers are so should WE! Hell Dallas is building a dedicated E-Game tournament center. Just my fantasy rant...

Jimfer
Heaven forbid!

One great thing about the niche-character and the extreme complexity of ASL is that it is unsuitable for the masses. This ensures that it is somewhat resilient to commercialization.

If ASL would be played for the money, it would destroy the social aspect of it that some value maybe as highly as playing the game itself.

von Marwitz