What part of history would you like to see made into a film?

Alvis_Striker

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi folks, the 'What is your favorite Film' thread is coming up with some good conversation, so I was wondering what part of History (or even a Hypothetical) would you like to see made into a movie?

Mine would be about the Battle of Nevilles Cross in County Durham in 1346. Where 100'000 men clashed in a mass battle which saw King David I of Scotlands invading Army defeated and routed, anyone not knowing what happened to him is quite funny. He hid under a bridge on the river Browney, a soldier was walkign over the bridge and looked down to the water, where he saw the Kings reflection in the water, the Soldier then attacked the Kings Aide-de-Camps and killed two before the King told the rest to surrender. The man was John Copeland and he was knighted by the King of England soon after.

The site of the Battle was named after the place where Sir Neville was slain by the Scots, there is now a stone cross at the exact place where he fell.

King David I was sent to prison, but released a year later in return for 1000 Marks (around £13m thesedays), the money was never paid.

What films would you like to see?

John Paul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has there ever been a movie made about the Frozen Chosin?
If not there should be,it has all the ingredients of an epic.A trapped and outnumbered force fighting its way back through all obstacles,both natural and manmade,bringing with it almost all its dead and wounded while inflicting crippling losses on its enemy.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll tell you what I'de like to see is a new Napoleon movie. It has been so long since i've seen Waterloo and War & Peace, and don't get me wrong they are great movies, but with technology the way it is maybe its time for something new to rekindle that part of history to the mainstream audience. I think it can be done.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think we are about due for a good movie on Rommel. Of course Hollywood would probably make it more of a movie about how he met his wife and their romance...and his exploits at the front would be interjected every so often inside the love story.

Seriously, I would love to see modern FX used to simulate the war in North Africa...and following Rommel in his command car would just be top drawer!

:p

Last edited:

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
how cool is that?

As cool as HELL? HEAT ... too much HEAT? you are way too HOT .... feel HELL cool ?

:skull:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Jared Ball286, I would like to see a new movie made on Napoleon. With the technology Hollywood now has it could really be a great movie. Of course, who would they get to play Napoleon? :confused:

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Maddog
Of course, who would they get to play Napoleon? :confused:
Using the technology from LOTR, they could shrink any actor down to play him.

Maybe Arnold Schwarzeneger? It would fit too...after getting dropped off on St. Helena he could say "I'll be back" :laugh:

Actually, they could just use that guy who played Napoleon in Bill and Ted's excellent adventure. He did a good job...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Siberian HEAT

Actually, they could just use that guy who played Napoleon in Bill and Ted's excellent adventure. He did a good job...
You know, that would be cool. :D

Tim

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Vercingetorix's last stand at Alesia would interesting to see. You would need a time machine to get acurate view of the siege.for the only description of it is Julius Caesar's

Headshot

Reaction score
I think that a rommel movie would be excellent. If the actions in Tobruk were represented in modern FX, the artiallry would be amazing. But my real beef is Stalingrad. There have been many attempts
(enemy at the gates, motherland, glorys crossing) two of which bombed(u can find about 5 copies of motherland and glorys crossing left)and enemy of the gates represented one of the largest seiges in world history as a battle between two snipers. gimme a good stalingrad movie and ill give you an oscar or seven, it really is that simple.

Alvis_Striker

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Napoleonic film........

A good Napoleonic film would be fantastic, if any of you yanks can get your hands on any of the Sharpe DVDs (taken from the books by Bernard Cornwell) then I do recomend them.

As for the action scenes then the ones in the Patriot were good, especially the Artillery, the only time I have ever seen a Napoleonic Shell used in a film! If only they'd go the English Tactics right, at the battle scene at the end (still dont know which battle its supposed to be, if any) they have the British Infantry lined up infront of the Artillery, the British in the War of Independance fought as it did against France and Spain (And Denmark) in the Napoleonic Wars, its Battalions lined up, with Artillery in-between the different Regiments.

I'll see if this works:

A= Artillery gun + Limber
I= Infantry Company
G= Grenadier Company
L= Light Infantry Company, deployed as loose two man skirmishing teams.
C= Cavalry

L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L

GGG AA III AA III AA III AA III AA III AA III AA GGG

CCC IIIIIIIII Gen. HQ IIIIIIIII CCC
CCC IIIIIIIII IIIIIIIII CCC
CCC CCC

This formation was the standard text-book formation, with heavy Cavalry to the rear flanks, mainly to give the coup-de-grace to a retreating enemy. If anyone is intrested, here is the French Formation.

Same key as above:

L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L

CCC AAA III AAA III AAA III AAA III AAA III AAA CCC
CCC III III III III III CCC
CCC III III III III III CCC

GGGGGGGGGGGG
GGG Gen.HQ GGG

French Column against British Line......... more Muskets brought to bear for the British, more dead Frenchmen.

Who could play Napoleon? Danny de Vito? seriously!

John Paul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
18th century artillery

The battle depicted in the movie,i'm not quite sure on this,is either ninety-six or guilfords courthouse.Maybe if i work up the ambition i'll pull out my old books and answer definitifly,if someone else doesn't before hand.Greene never won a battlefield victory against the british army,there was cowpens but i think Daniel Morgan was in charge of that gem.Greenes genuis lay in his fabian tactics of wearing out the British by having them chase him all over the south.He came close to one though at one of the two battles i listed above,i'm writing off the top of my head,and the only way cornwallis won was by having his artillery fire directly into his troops and the continentals,saved the day but inflicted great harm on his own men.

On the artillery issue,i read somewhere that it was not uncommon in that time period for guns to be situated somewhat ahead of the lines,any truth to this?

John Paul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alvis here is a list of some of the major battles that took place in the south during the Revolutinary War.I'm leaning towards Guilfords Courthouse as the fight depicted in the movie.the tactic of having the militia fire then act like they were running away was used in that battle,as was Cornwallis's order to fire the guns into both forces to reclaim the day.The battle was an American defeat,though there is no reason to let facts get in the way of a good story(or movie in this case)Hope this is of interest.

All references are from The Battle Book by Bryan Perret.

Camden August 1780
Forces:British 2400-American 4100
Commanders:Cornwallis-Gates
Casualties:324-800(1000 capt.)
Result:British Victory

Charelston October 1779
Forces:British 10,000-American 5500
Commanders:Clinton-Lincoln
Casualties:265-100(5400 capt.)

cowpens January 1781
Forces:British 1100-American 1000
Commanders::Tarleton-Morgan
Casualties:329(525 capt.)-72
Result:American Victory

Eutaw Springs September 1781
Forces:British 2000-American 2400
Commanders:Stewart-Greene
Casualties:693-554
Result:British Victory(forced to withdraw afterwards due to losses)

Guilfords Courthouse March 1781
Forces:British 1900-American 4400
Commanders:Cornwallis-Greene
Casualties:500-1300
Result:British Victory(once again forced to withdraw due to losses)

Kings Mountain October 1780
Forces:British 1000-American 900
Commanders:Ferguson-Sevier,Shelby,Campbell
casualties:330(689 capt.)-90
result:American victory

Savannah October 1779
Forces:British 3200-American 1500,French 3500
Commanders:prevost-Lincoln,D'Estaing
Casualties:103-828

GROGnads_USA

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to agree with that

Yes, it seemed to ME that they were depicting "Guildford Courthouse" with Nathanial Greene in Command of the 'Colonials' in the Mel Gibson Movie "The Patriot". There was also another more recently based movie with Steven Seagal called "The Patriot" but it's NO comparison to the previously mentioned one. As for a MOVIE that I'd like to see made, what about the "Siege of Malta" with the 'Turks' invading it in the 16th Century? The 'Templar Knights' fought the "Good Fight" in that one and they sure deserve more recognition in these times!

Last edited:

Lt. Dan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like to see a real good movie about World War One, with the grit and rawness of Saving Private Ryan meets Full Metal Jacket. The only World War One movie I've ever seen was All Quiet On The Western Front made in 1971.

Temujin

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Lt. Dan said:
I'd like to see a real good movie about World War One, with the grit and rawness of Saving Private Ryan meets Full Metal Jacket. The only World War One movie I've ever seen was All Quiet On The Western Front made in 1971.
Theres quite a few good WW1 movies around, even ones made in the 20s. You just have to look outside of Hollywood for it.

Lt. Dan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember seeing a french movie made around 1998 about World War One. It was good, but I'd like to see a World War One movie made in Hollywood with a Hollywood budget and a Hollywood cast. Not a superficial PG-13 action blockbuster, but a serious, raw, and gritty kind of movie like Platoon or Thin Red Line. If Stanley Kubrick was still around, I'd have him direct it.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"The lost battalion" is a pretty good WW1 one.

Malta 1565 would be a good one, I agree.

Victor1234

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've seen a Rommel movie from the 50's,it was entitled,"The Desert Fox",still made in black and white.It was pretty good,but I'd like to see a more modern one.(the North African campaign has always been my favourite.....Rommel is so cool :D )

I'd also like to see a movie done with today's technology,about the German invasion of Crete,I've never seen a movie done about it.It was the largest airborne drop ever(I believe,even to this day).Those German paratroopers were tough,alot of things went wrong,and because of the way their parachutes were designed,all they could carry on themselves was a pistol,a knife and 4 grenades.Enemy fire at the landing zones meant this was all they had to fight with for a while.....